NHL Discussion

Oh, roller hockey?

There's no ice rinks around?

Most of my team hasn't played organized hockey before. We're trying this for a bit, then we might switch to roller if we're good enough. Minimal equipment and fees make dek (ball) hockey, very affordable for beginners.

Through 7 games I have 7 goals and 2 assists. Which isn't too bad for just starting. I think I'm tied for 3rd in goal scoring leaders in the league, #1 on my team. I've just been picking up some scraps and being in the right position. Positioning helps so much more when you're playing a bunch of people who are new.

Nasty play by Ovechkin, but the 5 and the game were enough I think.

What about Downie's slew foot (knee?) thing on Crosby? That looked pretty nasty. When the showed the replay I thought Sid was finished for the season. He came back and played w/ fire in his eyes, but still that hit was terrible and uncalled for. Coming from Downie, I'd assume he'll be handed a few games.

Tough to see two of the game's best players almost out of it for a bit. Not to mention Malkin taking a shot off of his foot and missing the 3rd period.

Wow, I just watched the Crosby/Downie play. I'm not even sure that's a slew foot. That's like a chop block. Personal foul, 15 yards and automatic first down. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before.

I had the displeasure of watching Downie play with the Flyers for a short time. He's definitely got a few dirty plays in him. Strange thing about him is the Flyers talked him up like he was a prospect or something. He showed nothing at all in Philly. They traded him in for Matt Carle, which is like one of the best trades I can recall the Flyers making.

Crosby is a bitch. How many times have you seen Crosby lay on the ice like he's hurt, limp off and come back for his next shift? Looks like Crosby trying to draw a penalty to me.

Have you ever played any kind of hockey? Sometimes you get hit, its hurts for 5 minutes and then you're good. Very similar to getting the wind knocked out of you or falling on your tail bone. Hurts like a bitch for a bit then you're good to go. I'm not sure anyone has the insight to dictate how much and for how long someone should be hurt for.

And as for the Ovechkin hit, it didn't look like boarding to me. He was on Campbell's side, Campbell knew he was there but Ovechkin definitely pushed him. That said, its a bit of a freak injury than anything. Being that I just saw it I'm not sure I'm ready to pass judgment but if he doesn't get suspended I'd understand why and it'd have nothing to do with the so-called "superstar rules."

Ovechkin definitely gets the boarding penalty because he extends his arms and pushes Campbell down and into the boards. Checking from behind isn't necessary for a boarding call. You just need to violently check someone into the boards. It usually gets the call when you are 3 or 4 feet from the boards and the player falls. It's kind of a judgment call for the refs.

Here's the rule for reference:

42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

I'd say Campbell put himself in a bad position as much as Ovechkin pushed him.

As for the suspension:

Rule 23.5 of the NHL rulebook states: "Any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two (2) game misconduct penalties for stick-related infractions, Boarding - Rule 42, or Checking from Behind - Rule 44, shall be suspended automatically for the next league game of his team."

interestingly enough... the fine print of the rule:

When a player or goalkeeper has played in 41 consecutive regular League games without being assessed a boarding and/or a checking from behind major and a game misconduct according to Rules 42 and 44, he will have the previous game misconduct penalties removed from his current record. They will remain part of his historical record.

Apparently this was the 42nd game since Ovie got his last game misconduct for boarding. Good timing on his part, haha.

Here's the rule for reference:
42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

I'd say Campbell put himself in a bad position as much as Ovechkin pushed him.

Man, I don't know about that. I just watched the hit again. Campbell doesn't even have the puck when Ovie puts him down. We disagree again, haha.

Ovechkin has a meeting right now. Mckenzie on Twitter is saying that Campbell's injury is playing a role in a possible suspension.

Crosby is a bitch. How many times have you seen Crosby lay on the ice like he's hurt, limp off and come back for his next shift? Looks like Crosby trying to draw a penalty to me.

On top of what Sammy said, how would he try to draw a penalty on a play that was already a penalty? Crosby hates are morons 99% of the time.