NHL Discussion

8 games is a start, but I'd go a step further.

Ovechkin gets 10 for the shove on Campbell. It was reckless and stupid more than dirty. He has a history of doing shit like this or I'd say 5 would be appropriate.

Wiz gets 15 for the intentional headshot. Left his feet, raised his hands, went for the head, no puck, completely blatant and intentional running from the blue line to the boards behind the goal. No history, but this is the TEXTBOOK definition of the headshot rule the league is trying to avoid.

Cooke gets 40 for his THIRD intentional shoulder-to-headshot. (20 if it was someone without history). This guy should actually probably just get kicked out of the league. Seriously, this is the THIRD time he has done this. And he got ZERO games for it? That's the real problem.

8 games is a start, but I'd go a step further.

Ovechkin gets 10 for the shove on Campbell. It was reckless and stupid more than dirty. He has a history of doing shit like this or I'd say 5 would be appropriate.

Wiz gets 15 for the intentional headshot. Left his feet, raised his hands, went for the head, no puck, completely blatant and intentional running from the blue line to the boards behind the goal. No history, but this is the TEXTBOOK definition of the headshot rule the league is trying to avoid.

Cooke gets 40 for his THIRD intentional shoulder-to-headshot. (20 if it was someone without history). This guy should actually probably just get kicked out of the league. Seriously, this is the THIRD time he has done this. And he got ZERO games for it? That's the real problem.

We're on the exact same page.

“I am truly sorry that my friend Brent Seabrook was hurt on the play," Wisniewski said in a statement released by the Ducks. "I certainly wish him the best. I am, however, very disappointed in the length of the suspension. Eight games is incredibly hard to swallow, especially in comparison to other recent hits that have resulted in lesser punishment.”

What a douche bag.

Have they said how Seabrook is doing?

Sucks to be the Flyers right now.

Leighton out 8-10 was w/ high ankle sprain

I watch just about every Flyers game and I don't really think there is that big of a difference between Leighton, Emery or Boucher. The offense runs so hot and cold, that really is what determines if they win or not.

Maybe Boooosssshhh can call upon the spirit of 2000. He was off his ass that year in the playoffs.

“... Eight games is incredibly hard to swallow, especially in comparison to other recent hits that have resulted in lesser punishment.”

What a douche bag.

Agree on the douche bag part, but he is kind of calling out the league on their inconsistency. And rightfully so.

But still, douche bag.

When you just hit someone, leaving your skates and delivering an elbow to a player, a player who doesn't even have the puck and you refer to as your "friend" do you really have any right to call out the league? It's like he subtly saying, I wouldn't have done it if so-and-so had gotten suspended. I thought I'd get away with it.

What happened with Cooke?? Only one fight? I thought they were going to draw and quarter him with four zambonis at center ice on the big B?

Maybe they should suspend Thornton for intending to injure Cooke with that fight to keep the buzz going. I think the league secretly loves all these head shots and grudge matches. It's the only time the American national media pays any attention to hockey. I don't think the Stanley Cup finals gets this much attention.

When you just hit someone, leaving your skates and delivering an elbow to a player, a player who doesn't even have the puck and you refer to as your "friend" do you really have any right to call out the league? It's like he subtly saying, I wouldn't have done it if so-and-so had gotten suspended. I thought I'd get away with it.

Perhaps you're right.

But that doesn't make his pot shot any less valid.

was watching NHL live today, and they had McLean and Millbury on, and both said basically that Cooke's hit was completely legal under the current rules and were citing examples of it happening forever. granted, i thought it was dirty too, but these guys both know more than me on the subject.

on the ovechkin incident though, he should have been gone a lot longer than that. if cooke made that hit after a history of knee on knee hits and running opponents from behind and generally being a little bitch with moves like firing a puck at an opponent after a whistle and shoving fans, people would be calling for his head, not defending him and blaming the NHL.

Speaking of them being friends: apparently Seabrook is supposed to be in Wisniewski's wedding this summer. Wonder how that's going to play out now.

Sucks to be the Flyers right now.

Leighton out 8-10 was w/ high ankle sprain

I watch just about every Flyers game and I don't really think there is that big of a difference between Leighton, Emery or Boucher. The offense runs so hot and cold, that really is what determines if they win or not.

Maybe Boooosssshhh can call upon the spirit of 2000. He was off his ass that year in the playoffs.

Emery is done for the season too though, right?

Yeah, Kings were awful last night. Quick had a good game and robbed a few goals early. Hawks were sluggish and slow but still managed a shutout, which speaks volumes of the Kings' game.

No update on Seabrook. They're not sure if it's short-term or long. Obviously it's a concussion. Boynton is up with the team now playing full time. Since Johnsson is also out, and obviously Campbell is done for a while, they're also playing Hendry full time and using Byfuglien on D now. He has been pretty good thus far.

I can't blame Wiz for being upset about the suspension given the fact that the league has been so light on punishment thus far. Still, he deserved that and more. The other guys deserved more as well. If the Hawks win the Cup, all will be forgiven. If Seabrook isn't back for the playoffs, I can't imagine that friendship lasting much longer.

Yeah, Kings were awful last night. Quick had a good game and robbed a few goals early. Hawks were sluggish and slow but still managed a shutout, which speaks volumes of the Kings' game.

No update on Seabrook. They're not sure if it's short-term or long. Obviously it's a concussion. Boynton is up with the team now playing full time. Since Johnsson is also out, and obviously Campbell is done for a while, they're also playing Hendry full time and using Byfuglien on D now. He has been pretty good thus far.

I can't blame Wiz for being upset about the suspension given the fact that the league has been so light on punishment thus far. Still, he deserved that and more. The other guys deserved more as well. If the Hawks win the Cup, all will be forgiven. If Seabrook isn't back for the playoffs, I can't imagine that friendship lasting much longer.

I like the Hawks but you gotta figure even with Seabrook if they're depending on Niemi and Huet in the playoffs its going to be an uphill climb.

I like the Hawks but you gotta figure even with Seabrook if they're depending on Niemi and Huet in the playoffs its going to be an uphill climb.

Though obviously I'd prefer someone better, both of them have actually played pretty well this year, despite the low SV %. Huet and Niemi both let in the occasional softy, but they stand on their heads more often than not. Huet has been the victim of some pretty bad luck this year - he'll play a killer game then the D will break down and he'll get torched for 2 or 3 goals that are absolutely not his fault - breakaways, screened out in front of the net, deflections from 3 feet out, etc. I've never seen a goalie with luck that consistently bad.

I think, as a whole, they're still the team to beat in the Western Conference. Should be an interesting run now that there are increased expectations.