NHL Discussion

in my opinion, Leafs v Habs wont happen for awhile because the Leafs arent that good. from what I understand, they want to showcase the top teams of the league, and yes, there are good teams they're ignoring, and not just sell the most seats possible.

also, how could they do an outdoors game in the rose bowl? any outdoor game is going to be in the northern part of the states or in canada. LA in NYC would be rad, what stadium would they do it in NY? yankees, mets or Giants/Jets?

they should do the red wings vs. avalanche sometime, in either city.

pretty sure they're trying to do rivalry match ups, are the kings/avs rivals moreso than wings/avs or pens/caps/flyers? or rangers/habs? i wouldnt mind watching rangers/habs at all, and it makes sense since both teams are pretty decent and it would be involving both US and Canada.

If the league really wants to display all their stars, they should have the all-star game be the winter classic. Then all the young stars will be on display and it's about the only time the national media pays attention in a positive way. New Years day is a little earlier than the half way point, but from a marketing/showcase standpoint, I think it would work great.

pretty sure they're trying to do rivalry match ups, are the kings/avs rivals moreso than wings/avs or pens/caps/flyers? or rangers/habs? i wouldnt mind watching rangers/habs at all, and it makes sense since both teams are pretty decent and it would be involving both US and Canada.

a bruins/habs game would make much better sense/more interesting as well, if they want to make it a rivalry game.

If the league really wants to display all their stars, they should have the all-star game be the winter classic. Then all the young stars will be on display and it's about the only time the national media pays attention in a positive way. New Years day is a little earlier than the half way point, but from a marketing/showcase standpoint, I think it would work great.

This is a good idea. Also, no team would be shorted a home game as Kirby pointed out.

i think it's a terrible idea about the all star game. they're stupid anyways and should be done away with. MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL all should be done away with, but MLB is the least terrible of all of those.

Well this isn't going to happen because all the leagues make money on their All-Star games. The NFL one has a good idea with the game before the Super Bowl.

With that in mind, having the Winter Classic serve as the All-Star game would be a great idea.

it's a gimmick game though, you could put it on mars and it would probably sell out. not really a good way of evaluating, say, hartford or winnipeg or even kansas city. plus most teams sell out their first couple seasons anyways, then the novelty wears off. it's that way from the pros all the way through the minors it seems.

a bruins/habs game would make much better sense/more interesting as well, if they want to make it a rivalry game.

Sorry but the bruins are the habs #2 rivals. Of course NBC would never show a Leafs /Habs game. As for the Allstar game it is pretty lame, they should ditch the shootout all together and wendel clark should be the assistant coach of the leafs.

big fucking surprise, because NBC doesn't realize there are 28 other teams in the league and more than 2 players.

So far we've had three and if I remember correctly the following teams were involved:

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Boston

Chicago

Detroit

Seems like the NHL/NBC knows its got at least 5 other teams outside of Pittsburgh.

have you turned on NBC on a sunday? if it's not the pens, caps, wings or hawks, it's not on.

So far we've had three and if I remember correctly the following teams were involved:

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Boston

Chicago

Detroit

Seems like the NHL/NBC knows its got at least 5 other teams outside of Pittsburgh.

have you turned on NBC on a sunday? if it's not the pens, caps, wings or hawks, it's not on.

Pens = just won the Stanley Cup

Wings = biggest winners in the NHL over the last decade-plus

Hawks = one of the best teams in the NHL with a cavalcade of young stars

Caps = the best scorer in the NHL, the highest scoring team

I think there's good justification for those 4 teams to be heavily featured. Further, I'm pretty damn sure I've seen at least the Flyers once or twice.

Sorry but the bruins are the habs #2 rivals. Of course NBC would never show a Leafs /Habs game. As for the Allstar game it is pretty lame, they should ditch the shootout all together and wendel clark should be the assistant coach of the leafs.

true, bruins are the habs #2 rivals, because the nordiques were montreal's biggest rivals, and it's safe to say that the nordiques/montreal were the biggest rivals of all time in the nhl.

true, bruins are the habs #2 rivals, because the nordiques were montreal's biggest rivals, and it's safe to say that the nordiques/montreal were the biggest rivals of all time in the nhl.

Are you serious? THe bruins rivalry goes back before the nordiques were even in the NHL and the Leafs Habs rivalry goes back before that.

i never mentioned anything about the oldest rivalry. yeah, the bruins are the oldest/still alive rilvary. but the rivalry between the canadiens and the nordiques was one of the most intense one in the history of hockey, in canada anyways. if you do not agree with this, i'm sorry but you know nothing about hockey.

i never mentioned anything about the oldest rivalry. yeah, the bruins are the oldest/still alive rilvary. but the rivalry between the canadiens and the nordiques was one of the most intense one in the history of hockey, in canada anyways. if you do not agree with this, i'm sorry but you know nothing about hockey.

There's nothing like a Habs VS Nordiques game for sure even though the rivalry with the Bruins is older.