NHL Discussion

Seriously, a Wings' fan is bitching about calls? Give me a break dude, your team gets the benefit of the doubt so overwhelmingly and Holmstrom gets away with as much or more compared to Pronger. The dude is a skating goalie interference penalty.

did you see the play in question?

I don't care. Its not the point. Its overall what happens in the entire regular season and over the course of a game. The Wings most certainly get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls. They've won their fair share of games because of it. Because they don't get the benefit on every call doesn't change that.

Holmstrom interferes with goaltenders so often its not funny. He gets called for it when he does and sometimes gets called for it when he doesn't but it doesn't change the fact he gets away with it more often than not.

And if you want to talk about weird calls watch the Ducks. They have a rep for being bullies and get called for the most ticky-tack bullshit. Cory Perry gets phantom goalie interference calls too. You know why? Because more often than not he gets away with it. But the phantom calls happen because there are times when he gets away with it, just like Holmstrom.

OFFICIAL STAAL BROTHER DRINKING GAME RULES

Drinking begins at puck drop. If there is anything during pre-game, you're just going to have to bite your tongue because you at least want to generally remember the game, don't you? Well, maybe not. It is MSG. But we kind of want to know the result without having to check NHL.com Tuesday morning.

Single shot to be taken if:

- it is mentioned that the Staals are brothers

- if it is mentioned that there are other Staals, not present, who are also in the NHL

- if a phrase such as "sibling rivalry" is used

- if it is pointed out that BOTH STAALS ARE ON THE ICE

- if anyone mentions the sod farm

- if any random facts are introduced about the present Staals or the Staal family

- if the Staal parents are mentioned

- if any Staal reference occurs that would simply not occur in a one-Staal game

Doubleshot to be taken if:

- a comparative Staal brother graphic is shown on the screen

- if they are verbally compared AT LENGTH by the announcers (use your own discretion in deciding what "length" is)

- if a video clip of the brothers/family is shown

- if an interview with a Staal brother happens at intermission (add an additional shot if the Staal brother is asked anything about playing against his brother)

- if the Staal parents are in attendance (this cancels out taking a single shot if the parents are mentioned, but not if they are mentioned separately from the fact that they are in attendance)

If you're playing an advanced version of this game, you can mix yourself a drink and keep it nearby.

You can work on the mixed drink if:

- there is an intermission feature on the Staal brothers

- there is a mention of a Staal on Staal play, such as a Staal delivering a crushing check on another Staal, or a Staal being stripped of the puck by another Staal

- if the game is over and the team you were rooting for shit its pants

Stop if you feel sick/want to stop. We will not be held responsible for any shit that happens to you playing this game. You play at your own risk, kids.

did you see the play in question?

The Wings most certainly get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calls. They've won their fair share of games because of it. Because they don't get the benefit on every call doesn't change that.

I'd say Detroit gets the benefit of these interference calls, yes. Maybe more than most. But so does every other team. This penalty isn't as "clear cut" as the rest of the lot and there is a lot of judgement involved for the referee. At game speed, there can't be more than a few tenths of a second to make that decision. Not to mention that where there is one body in front of the netminder, there is usually 3 or 4 to muddy the water. Plus, he's watching for a high stick tip, the puck crossing the line, cross checking, and numerous other things that can happen in that second or two on a play in front of the net. Plus -- he's trying to stay the hell out of the way. I can completley understand why this is usually a botched or missed call.

But all in all, Detroit is an incredibly disciplined team. They were second to last in team PIM -- only Carolina had fewer. They were tied for last with Carolina in misconducts with 0. 22nd in roughing minors with 39. Tied for last with Columbus with 3 unsportsmanlike conducts. Was last by a wide margin with only 11 fighting majors all season -- the next closest was Carolina with more than double that. Second last in the league in PIM/G with 10.05 -- a half second behind Carolina.

Conversely, only Philadelphia had more PIMs than Anaheim -- and not by that much.

But when you break down Anaheim, it tells an interesting story. Anaheim ranked T7 in misconduct penalties with 10. They were second in roughing minors with 73. T6 in unsportsmanlike conduct. First (by a lot) in fighting majors. They average 1 fight per game, the highest in the league, and are second in average PIM/G -- behind Philadelphia by only 10 seconds.

So I can completely understand where the bully rep comes from. If Pronger got called for half of the shit he does, Anaheim would far and away be the most penalized team in the league.

So apply this to our previous conversation about punks like Carcillo and his ilk... it appears as though Anaheim as a whole makes it's own bed as well.

I understand that certain teams and players are going to get more calls than others. But there is a 600 minute discrepancy between Anaheim and Detroit. Take away the fighting majors and that leaves the spread at 247. This is equal to 123 minor penalties. There's no way that many calls were "missed" with Detroit over Anaheim, especially when you add in Pronger's cloaking device.

Face it, man. Your boys run wild and free. It's a testamant to their skill, if you want to look at it that way. To make it that far with such a disadvantage.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've grown weary of all this penalty bullshit. Riding a barstool and calling penalties between pints is quite different than being on the ice. Ask Ron MacLean -- remember when he did that exhibition game a few years back? And he's a Level 5 referee with the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association, unlike any of us.

Enough with the penalties already.

drabley - Don't ever call the Ducks my boys. I watch hockey in California and lately the only playoff hockey has been the Ducks. But I'm a Kings' fan, nothing else, ever.

And say what you will, the Ducks are certainly bullies and they get the penalties they deserve, it all even outs but don't fool yourself. The Wings get away with their fair share and Holmstrom rarely gets called. Sense a pattern in my disgust? If Pronger had run that elbow at Zetterberg that Holmstrom ran on Wiz, you betcha Pronger would be suspended. Hell he was in the Stanley Cup finals.

I understand it all evens out, I just think the Wings have their very own cloaking device, especially if Pronger has one. The other thing people forget is Pronger is 6'6" so people bitch and moan about high hits, etc but the dude his huge. All his hits are high and its not his fault. Now, he's a dirty player, no doubt about it, he's an asshole but he's gets shit for a style of play I would die to have on the Kings. I hate playing against him but I respect him for what he does.

In any regard, my entire point was the Red Wings get away with as much as the Ducks, at least, and they have for years and years. They've mastered as an organization the ability to play on the perfect edge. They don't run around, they don't do much to draw attention, and they get their shots in well. Its silly, preposterous even, for a fan of the Winged Wheel to bitch about the refs.

Sammy - my apologies. I know you're a Kings man.

I love Pronger, as I've stated before. And growing up watching Andreychuk park his ass in front of the net and not moving gives me a certain regard for Holmstrom as well.

Detroit can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.

I was just pointing out that Detroit is an extremely disciplined team. Minus Holmstrom's goaltender interference.

But I do think Det/Car would be a much better played series than Pit/Chi. Depends what excites you, I guess.

Crosby currently has 12 goals in the playoffs. The NHL record is 19. I can't believe it's that low!!!

If the Pens go to the Finals, he def. has a chance at beating that. I think he only had 6 last year.

Same amount of rounds now as then? I think so, in that case I'm in agreement. 19 does seem low, especially since Kurri had like 16 points in one series.

Sammy - my apologies. I know you're a Kings man.

I love Pronger, as I've stated before. And growing up watching Andreychuk park his ass in front of the net and not moving gives me a certain regard for Holmstrom as well.

Detroit can kiss my ass as far as I'm concerned.

I was just pointing out that Detroit is an extremely disciplined team. Minus Holmstrom's goaltender interference.

But I do think Det/Car would be a much better played series than Pit/Chi. Depends what excites you, I guess.

No hard feelings, at all, my friend. Just like we were talking about stars getting bias, I believe teams get the same kind of thing when they've been near the top of the heap for going on 10+ years.

Crosby currently has 12 goals in the playoffs. The NHL record is 19. I can't believe it's that low!!!

If the Pens go to the Finals, he def. has a chance at beating that. I think he only had 6 last year.

Same amount of rounds now as then? I think so, in that case I'm in agreement. 19 does seem low, especially since Kurri had like 16 points in one series.

19 goals in a max of 28 games, and thats only if you go all 7 in every round... chances are the 19 goals were done in fewer games, right? So 19 goals in, what, 22 games maybe? 5 a round would be 20 games total, 19 goals in 20 games is nasty. Crosby has 12 goals so far in 13 games.

19 goals in a max of 28 games, and thats only if you go all 7 in every round... chances are the 19 goals were done in fewer games, right? So 19 goals in, what, 22 games maybe? 5 a round would be 20 games total, 19 goals in 20 games is nasty. Crosby has 12 goals so far in 13 games.

Okay, true but I am thinking the first round used to be best of 5. Can anyone confirm?

Okay, true but I am thinking the first round used to be best of 5. Can anyone confirm?

I think baseball is the only sports playoff that has a series of 5. I believe every other sport has always been best of 7.

NBA just about 5 years ago was best of 5.

Looks like it was 5 in the NHL until 1987.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=edmontonpost&prov=st&type=lgns

85-86 Season was best of 5 until division finals -- I know this because that was the only year Hartford ever won a playoff series. They beat the Nordiques 3-0. They ended up losing to Montreal in dramatic fashion -- game 7 OT.

Long live the Whale.

NBA just about 5 years ago was best of 5.

Looks like it was 5 in the NHL until 1987.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=edmontonpost&prov=st&type=lgns

85-86 Season was best of 5 until division finals -- I know this because that was the only year Hartford ever won a playoff series. They beat the Nordiques 3-0. They ended up losing to Montreal in dramatic fashion -- game 7 OT.

Long live the Whale.

Yeah, when I said 1987 I meant the playoffs played in that year.

Long live the Whale, indeed. Pronger was a Whaler, wasn't he?

Long live the Whale, indeed. Pronger was a Whaler, wasn't he?

Indeed. Was drafted 2nd overall in 93. Played 2 seasons in CT then went to St. Louis.

Alexandre Daigle was the 1st overall that year. What a botch that was for Ottawa.

*edit*

I just looked it up -- the Pronger trade was for Shanahan. And apparently Daigle said something about "nobody remembers the 2nd pick". Ha! Daigle was a bust and EVERYONE knows Chris Pronger.