NHL Discussion

Here's something to think about...

Let's see your guesses on who is the highest ranked ACTIVE player for career shooting percentage?

No cheating.

I was kind of shocked, actually.

I have no idea, but I know Ryan Malone is leading the league this season.

Here's a hint -- the player in question has spent the overwhelming majority of his career in the Western Conference. And it is not a defenseman.

Martin Brodeur??? He's got 2 career goals. I can't imagine he's taken too many shots.

Goalies are never included in statistics like that. There are a few defencemen that have made plenty of saves in their day and they're not included in save percentage stats.

So no. Not Brodeur or any other goaltender.

Way to think outside the box, though. +1.

Martin Brodeur??? He's got 2 career goals. I can't imagine he's taken too many shots.

Goalies are never included in statistics like that. There are a few defencemen that have made plenty of saves in their day and they're not included in save percentage stats.

So no. Not Brodeur or any other goaltender.

Way to think outside the box, though. +1.

Haha, figured it was worth a shot. I'd imagine his shooting percentage would be 100% since he'd only shoot on an empty net. If it's a shot on net, it's in.

West coast... no defense... How about Holmstrom or Sellane?

Alex Tanguay?

Correct!

Alex's career shooting percentage is just shy of 20% - 19.61%

He ranks 7th on the career list.

The only other active player even close is Andrew Brunette at 37 with 17.8%.

I'd award +1 for the correct answer, but you already got it with the Brodeur guess.

Now that I think about it, I actually knew that answer. I saw it in trivia somewhere recently.

I loved that guy.

Tanguay walked into a monster team too. Sakic... Forseberg... Hejduk... Drury... Deadmarsh among many others. I'm sure that helps pad the stats a little.

You'd think so.

Paradoxically, he's only lead the league once in his career -- 2005-06 @ 23.2% -- his last year with Colorado. Forsberg was in Philly that year. Deadmarsh had been retired for a couple of seasons by that point, and Drury was turning heads in Buffalo.

Here's another one:

Name the highest ranking ACTIVE player for career plus/minus total that is NOT a defenseman.

Hint: This player's current team has clinched playoff berth this season.

This one isn't as surprising as the Alex Tanguay question if you stop and think about it.

I'd imagine Lidstrom is the hands down leader, but not including d-men... Federov and Niedermayer come to mind right away. Always strong defensive players and high plus minus.