NBA Discussion

disturbing news for all us Sixers fans out there - i mean besides the fact that elton brand is making 17mil this season

new mascot in the works - http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/76ers-unveil-three-questionable-new-potential-ma;_ylt=AvaUgfGK1E3XGhlm6l85Iui8vLYF?urn=nba-wp11362

disturbing news for all us Sixers fans out there - i mean besides the fact that elton brand is making 17mil this season

new mascot in the works - http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/76ers-unveil-three-questionable-new-potential-ma;_ylt=AvaUgfGK1E3XGhlm6l85Iui8vLYF?urn=nba-wp11362

Everyone on the internet is voting for the moose because it makes absolutely no sense at all.

So CP3 to the Lakers and they gave up Odom and Gasol in some deal that apparently also involves the Rockets. Hopefully Howard is on his way to LA as well. If Howard isnt coming then this isnt the greatest trade for the Lakers.
Agreed. The headline "Paul to the Lakers" was great. I was cool with losing Gasol, then I saw that Odom is gone too. That's when my arms slowly lowered and I was filled with uncertainty.

Well until the Hornets have a permanent owner, the other 29 owner in the league are part owners. So there is no way they are gonna let a huge name team, who is notorious for pulling off huge seemingly unfair deal, land one of the top guys in the league plus dump $74 million in contracts they will have to pay. One of which is Pau who they seem to be upset with anyway. It was handled horribly but I read it this way. Say last year with the OKC and Celtics trade that the two GMs agreed on the deal but the Celtics owner found out and was like "I own this team, no way that's happening." No one would have a problem with that. Until there is a single unit, no big name players will be able to be traded from the Hornets. Why would someone want to buy the team if they already lost their biggest trade bait to build the team they want.

Also with the new CBA having revenue sharing, when teams have to pay the luxury tax, it goes to the other owners. So with the Lakers shedding all that salary, the other 28 owners lose money on top of hating the trade.

David Stern is a douchebag. There was absolutely no reason to stop this trade.

They are saying its unfair to the Hornets. BULLSHIT!

The Lakers were getting the least out of the deal. Giving up 2 great players to get 1 great player. Pau is still one of the top big men in the game and Odom is a starter on ANY team except the Lakers. There isnt anyone in the league that has his size and can do the things he does on the court. I hope Chris Paul turns down an extension to any team they try to trade him to now and goes to the Lakers as a FA after the season. Then we'll see how unfair this trade was was the Hornets when they dont get shit in return. Then who is going to want to buy that team without Paul or Odom?

so.. if theyre so good, and combine to be better than paul, didnt the lakers dodge a bullet?

If Paul came to LA then so would Howard and it would make up for losing 2 of the Lakers best players. Without Paul coming to LA, Dwight wont either. If Howard gets dealt to another team then I hope this deal doesnt go thru cause I assume the only way the Lakers make this trade is if they already have one for Howard just waiting to go thru. There isnt a lot of time for these deals to happen since traning camp is about to open so I have a feeling Howard is getting dealt to the Nets now and the Rockets and Hornets just flat lose out.

Still, David Stern is making up bullshit reasons as to why he is stopping this trade and everyone knows its bullshit. Fans are pissed right now that the season was delayed. What better way to get people to watch and go to games than have Kobe/Howard/Paul playing against possibly the best team in the East to open the season on Christmas day? Stern is an idiot. This fucked up the Rockets and Hornets more than it messes with the Lakers. The Lakers already have a good team that could possibly win another title with the players they have. The Rockets and Hornets suck and would both be getting great players.

Stern screwed up on this one. It is a horrible precedent to set. The trade was fair. He should have gotten more shit for allowing the Gasol trade from Memphis or the Garnett trade from Minnesota. Instead he's acting as if he is protecting the leagues interest in fairness this time around.

I'm not a Lakers fan at all - in fact, as a Nets fan I'm stoked that this move will likely drive Howard to our door, but this was a horrendous move and LA fans should be bummed. Hell, Hornets fans should be too. The package they were receiving would have allowed them to rebuild well under the cap while getting value for a player who has no interest in re-signing to his current team.

He should have gotten more shit for allowing the Gasol trade from Memphis

Exactly what I was saying to someone today. Where was Stern when the Lakers traded Kwame Brown, Jarvis Crittenton and Aaron McKie to Memphis for Gasol AND a second round pick while JERRY WEST was the GM of the Grizzlies? Now THAT is an unfair trade but he let that slide then steps in on this one. Yea makes sense.

David Stern is a douchebag. There was absolutely no reason to stop this trade.

They are saying its unfair to the Hornets. BULLSHIT!

The Lakers were getting the least out of the deal. Giving up 2 great players to get 1 great player. Pau is still one of the top big men in the game and Odom is a starter on ANY team except the Lakers. There isnt anyone in the league that has his size and can do the things he does on the court. I hope Chris Paul turns down an extension to any team they try to trade him to now and goes to the Lakers as a FA after the season. Then we'll see how unfair this trade was was the Hornets when they dont get shit in return. Then who is going to want to buy that team without Paul or Odom?

Lamar Odom would not start on the Grizzlies, just saying ;)

He should have gotten more shit for allowing the Gasol trade from Memphis

Exactly what I was saying to someone today. Where was Stern when the Lakers traded Kwame Brown, Jarvis Crittenton and Aaron McKie to Memphis for Gasol AND a second round pick while JERRY WEST was the GM of the Grizzlies? Now THAT is an unfair trade but he let that slide then steps in on this one. Yea makes sense.

Also the reason Memphis did this trade was because they knew with Pau being the center point of the team that they could go no higher. They had gotten swept both times they had made the playoffs and were not going to go any higher. The reason Memphis did the trade was because they knew they had to blow it up and almost start over. If you go back and look at the press conferences when that trade happened, Chris Wallace and Michael Heisley both said they were doing this to rebuild and have a playoff team who could contend for a championship in 3 years. That was 2008, last year (2011 aka 3 years later) they were one game away from the WCF without arguably their best player. Also that deal with the Lakers landed the Grizzlies Marc Gasol, Darell Arthur and the trade pieces to land Zach Randolph. It really wasn't lopsided at all for what they were trying to do. I'll admit I didn't see if back then but they have built this team into the best team the franchise has ever seen because of the LA trade.

so.. if theyre so good, and combine to be better than paul, didnt the lakers dodge a bullet?

If Paul came to LA then so would Howard and it would make up for losing 2 of the Lakers best players. Without Paul coming to LA, Dwight wont either. If Howard gets dealt to another team then I hope this deal doesnt go thru cause I assume the only way the Lakers make this trade is if they already have one for Howard just waiting to go thru. There isnt a lot of time for these deals to happen since traning camp is about to open so I have a feeling Howard is getting dealt to the Nets now and the Rockets and Hornets just flat lose out.

Still, David Stern is making up bullshit reasons as to why he is stopping this trade and everyone knows its bullshit. Fans are pissed right now that the season was delayed. What better way to get people to watch and go to games than have Kobe/Howard/Paul playing against possibly the best team in the East to open the season on Christmas day? Stern is an idiot. This fucked up the Rockets and Hornets more than it messes with the Lakers. The Lakers already have a good team that could possibly win another title with the players they have. The Rockets and Hornets suck and would both be getting great players.

THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE LOCKOUT WAS TO PREVENT THE BIG MARKET TEAMS WINDING UP WITH ALL THE BEST PLAYERS.

no one wants kobe howard and paul on the same team. otherwise we end up with a league where only 4 teams even matter.

once bron bron and co pulled their shit last year it had potential to open the floodgates as we saw with melo going to the knicks. everyone recognized the danger of the money migration, and the league knew they couldnt have that.

watching sportscenter just now, my roommate pretty much echoed you- talking about howard i said i just hope he signs out of our division. he said "i hope he comes to the celtics"

yeah, id like it too.. because itd be garnett pierce allen rondo and howard. WHO OUTSIDE OF BOSTON WOULD BE HAPPY ABOUT THIS?!

Thats a nice idea and all but big name players want to play in big markets. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics and Knicks are always going to get big names just cause of who and where those teams are. It's obvious Chris Paul isn't going to stay in NO after this season. So why not let them get something now in return for him? So he plays out this season in NO and goes to LA next year as a FA and then NO gets nothing. Is that better? Chris Paul is going to be able to pick who he wants to play for. Either now or next year.

The league just sounds dumb when they come out and say NO isn't getting enough in the deal when it's obvious that's not the case. The Lakers are giving up the most in this deal. Then if they reject Paul from going to LA they can't exactly let Howard go to the Nets either.

So... I've heard almost all of this trade talk for both Paul and Howard has been completely fabricated by ESPN to try and force the issue. If you read their stories on them, they even say how all of the parties involved have no idea what theyre talking about, but they just assert their anonymous sources know what is happening. The board that approves decisions for the Hornets hadn't even met to discuss the trade when the story broke about the commissioner killing it. Same with Howard, they claim he has met with the Nets twice (against the rules) and that Orlando is filing tampering charges (to which they said we aren't.. because none of that actually happened). Just don't believe all the hype ESPN is putting out there. Chris Broussard is nothing but a yellow journalist.

Thats a nice idea and all but big name players want to play in big markets. Teams like the Lakers and Celtics and Knicks are always going to get big names just cause of who and where those teams are. It's obvious Chris Paul isn't going to stay in NO after this season. So why not let them get something now in return for him? So he plays out this season in NO and goes to LA next year as a FA and then NO gets nothing. Is that better? Chris Paul is going to be able to pick who he wants to play for. Either now or next year.

The league just sounds dumb when they come out and say NO isn't getting enough in the deal when it's obvious that's not the case. The Lakers are giving up the most in this deal. Then if they reject Paul from going to LA they can't exactly let Howard go to the Nets either.

but again, the point is to put to kaibash on the whole "lebron" movement.

you cant say the lakers are giving up the most when they would be receiving the best player at his position in the league (paul) to work with the other best player at his position in the league (bryant), when they would ultimately like to sign the best player at his position in the league (howard).

I like the Sixers locking up Thad Young.. it's going to be a real rough March for them

between March 4th and April 7th they have;

San Antonio

Chicago twice

Miami twice

New York twice

Boston three times

need to come out hot and win a lot of the January & February games!

come on...this is officially the first time i can ever remember the clippers being relevant. since being in san diego back in 1976, that franchise has won 5 playoff rounds.