DOWNLOAD CODES: more results / thoughts...

vardcore

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, for the most part I download the album before i get it on vinyl, so i really never use them. The times they do get used (about 20%), it's only because I give them to my girlfriend so she can download the stuff she likes.

You free-loading bastards need to stop ruining shit for the rest of us who don't believe in torrent downloads. The above logic should not be the pervasive thinking.

I agree, for the most part I download the album before i get it on vinyl, so i really never use them. The times they do get used (about 20%), it's only because I give them to my girlfriend so she can download the stuff she likes.

You free-loading bastards need to stop ruining shit for the rest of us who don't believe in torrent downloads. The above logic should not be the pervasive thinking.

ok you dont believe in torrent downloads. good for you. I'm sorry I can't afford to blindly buy albums and pray that i like them. If i like what I download, I go out and buy it. Simple as that. You dont buy a car without doing a test drive. So fuck you for saying that I'm free loading when I'm actually purchasing shit.

ok you dont believe in torrent downloads. good for you. I'm sorry I can't afford to blindly buy albums and pray that i like them. If i like what I download, I go out and buy it. Simple as that. You dont buy a car without doing a test drive. So fuck you for saying that I'm free loading when I'm actually purchasing shit.

A few quick things: First off, sorry my comment came off harshly, as it obviously did, it was not totally the intent. Secondly, I'll just say I disagree with the premise there's no way to "test drive" records before you buy them for free. And lastly, I'm sure a lot of people who like vinyl buy a lot of records they torrent. However, the idea that illegally available torrents would make download codes in records unnecessary is a premise that's wholly unfair for those of us who don't believe in obtaining music illegally. And no matter what you say, downloading torrents is an illegal way of obtaining music.

A few quick things: First off, sorry my comment came off harshly, as it obviously did, it was not totally the intent. Secondly, I'll just say I disagree with the premise there's no way to "test drive" records before you buy them for free. And lastly, I'm sure a lot of people who like vinyl buy a lot of records they torrent. However, the idea that illegally available torrents would make download codes in records unnecessary is a premise that's wholly unfair for those of us who don't believe in obtaining music illegally. And no matter what you say, downloading torrents is an illegal way of obtaining music.

Sorry too. I took your comment the wrong way. I know torrenting is illegal, but in times like these where you need to use your money wisely in purchases, it's sometimes feels necessary to dl so I can be sure "hey I like this record a lot, and will never have it leave my collection".

I dont see how torrents make it unnecessary to include codes with records. For the most part in this discussion, everyone is saying they indeed use theirs. I am in the minority, and even then, I still use some of the download cards.

Overall, everyone is gonna differ and have opposing views. I feel like i'm doing no harm in listening before buying, and think me not using my one download card per album is gonna hurt anyone.

Steve Jobs and the Itunes police should be showing up at your house any minute now

I think Apple would charge less if they could.

In defense of Apple, I uploaded the JAMMY DODGERS CD to iTunes for them and it sells for $1.99 there. And it's at least an hour long, once you include the "audio zine" tracks. So, really, the label can do whatever they want, price-wise. iTunes takes 30%. If you go through a middle man, they take another 15% or something. Just so you know.

We will probably start adding a generic sticker on the LP bag that proclaims the download is inside. This will add like 10 cents to each record, once labor is included. I suspect the % of codes used will rise slightly after that. We'll see.

We will only be doing this for new releases. Old releases can suck it, haha.

(although we will likely add codes for re-issues or re-mastered versions.)

We will someday offer our own, direct, paid-downloads as well as a higher bitrate for the "free" download coupons... but don't expect it anytime soon.

-- We may also do more specials for direct mailorders, where an LP or CD is one price, but an LP+CD is like $3 more (with all printed parts included, not just a loose CD)... We did this with the GHOST MICE / SAW WHEEL release as an experiment.

Wow, awesome thread topic. My two cents:

I love the free downloads with LPs, but am usually disappointed in the bitrate quality of said downloads. Call me a crazy person who obsesses over bitrates when his beat to shit ears probably can't tell the difference between 32kbps and 320, but I like to have stuff at 256 or above, preferably in a VBR format. That said, I ALWAYS use the download codes, even if I end up getting a higher quality rip from somewhere else, simply to send the message that I appreciate what labels are doing and that I would like them to continue to do so. Apparently that message is getting through to the tune of 12% in No Idea's case.

The idea of charging an extra buck for the download is fine by me; it more than covers the time it would have taken me to rip the CD had I bought it, so it's more than fair in my mind. I also like what Magic Bullet does in their webstore, offering to throw in a copy of the CD for a couple bucks more. I think it's usually $4.25, which is more than fair in my mind considering these are retail discs with the full artwork, (just sans jewel case,) not some beat-ass promo version. And needless to say, I loved the Fat Wreck model of including the CD with the LP, but I understand how those costs can really add up.

So long story short, while I think there is room for improvement, I love download codes and would urge all labels to continue their efforts in this area or start if they haven't already.