DOWNLOAD CODES: more results / thoughts...

vardcore

A few quick things: First off, sorry my comment came off harshly, as it obviously did, it was not totally the intent. Secondly, I'll just say I disagree with the premise there's no way to "test drive" records before you buy them for free. And lastly, I'm sure a lot of people who like vinyl buy a lot of records they torrent. However, the idea that illegally available torrents would make download codes in records unnecessary is a premise that's wholly unfair for those of us who don't believe in obtaining music illegally. And no matter what you say, downloading torrents is an illegal way of obtaining music.

Sorry too. I took your comment the wrong way. I know torrenting is illegal, but in times like these where you need to use your money wisely in purchases, it's sometimes feels necessary to dl so I can be sure "hey I like this record a lot, and will never have it leave my collection".

I dont see how torrents make it unnecessary to include codes with records. For the most part in this discussion, everyone is saying they indeed use theirs. I am in the minority, and even then, I still use some of the download cards.

Overall, everyone is gonna differ and have opposing views. I feel like i'm doing no harm in listening before buying, and think me not using my one download card per album is gonna hurt anyone.

Out of curiousity, do you think labels are exempt from this economic downturn/crisis.

If anything it's affecting labels even more.

If you care anything at all about independent bands/labels that typically lose money anyways, then support them by not illegally downloading their music.

I don't understand why some people feel as if they are entitled to have download codes or cd's with their vinyl. If you like vinyl, buy it, if you don't, by the cd.

Also no idea, is a larger indie, for some of the smaller guys, it cost a lot more for download codes, and we have to go through a third party, because our websites cannot typically handle the huge strain of having so many files on them.

Support independent music, if you want it to continue, otherwise you are going too see a lot of smaller indies folding up, as well as bands.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, awesome thread topic. My two cents:

I love the free downloads with LPs, but am usually disappointed in the bitrate quality of said downloads. Call me a crazy person who obsesses over bitrates when his beat to shit ears probably can't tell the difference between 32kbps and 320, but I like to have stuff at 256 or above, preferably in a VBR format. That said, I ALWAYS use the download codes, even if I end up getting a higher quality rip from somewhere else, simply to send the message that I appreciate what labels are doing and that I would like them to continue to do so. Apparently that message is getting through to the tune of 12% in No Idea's case.

The idea of charging an extra buck for the download is fine by me; it more than covers the time it would have taken me to rip the CD had I bought it, so it's more than fair in my mind. I also like what Magic Bullet does in their webstore, offering to throw in a copy of the CD for a couple bucks more. I think it's usually $4.25, which is more than fair in my mind considering these are retail discs with the full artwork, (just sans jewel case,) not some beat-ass promo version. And needless to say, I loved the Fat Wreck model of including the CD with the LP, but I understand how those costs can really add up.

So long story short, while I think there is room for improvement, I love download codes and would urge all labels to continue their efforts in this area or start if they haven't already.

The cd thing you mentioned makes perfect sense, that is exactly what we are starting to do in 09, as well as try to have a bonus track, or different artwork etc, to make it even more worth the extra 3-4 bucks for the cd version along with the vinyl

I don't have time to read this whole thread but i will give my opinion on 3 levels;

I work at a wholesale distributor. When i talk to clients about new releases and we get to vinyl often they will ask if it has the code.

I also work in a indie retail store connected to the distro. Often customers ask if a record has a download code, especially with the punk related releases.

As a record buyer i'm glad to see codes in records, even if i don't use it. I bought a USB turntable last year in order to get vinyl onto my ipod so the download code saves me that step.

I don't understand why some people feel as if they are entitled to have download codes or cd's with their vinyl. If you like vinyl, buy it, if you don't, by the cd.

Because the times are changing and the customers are speaking their minds. There will probably be a day when we all sit back and realize how moronic it was to not let gays marry and not to include MP3s w/ vinyl purchases.

Because the times are changing and the customers are speaking their minds. There will probably be a day when we all sit back and realize how moronic it was to not let gays marry and not to include MP3s w/ vinyl purchases.

When they come up with a way to play a record in my car and at work, which they never will, then I'm down for just buying vinyl.

And while I know exactly what you mean as someone trying to make an indie work currently, I think download codes and having your ear to the ground are the ways an indie can differentiate itself from larger less quickly moving labels. I think embracing digital music distribution is the key to smaller label success.

Sorry too. I took your comment the wrong way. I know torrenting is illegal, but in times like these where you need to use your money wisely in purchases, it's sometimes feels necessary to dl so I can be sure "hey I like this record a lot, and will never have it leave my collection".

I dont see how torrents make it unnecessary to include codes with records. For the most part in this discussion, everyone is saying they indeed use theirs. I am in the minority, and even then, I still use some of the download cards.

Overall, everyone is gonna differ and have opposing views. I feel like i'm doing no harm in listening before buying, and think me not using my one download card per album is gonna hurt anyone.

Out of curiousity, do you think labels are exempt from this economic downturn/crisis.

If anything it's affecting labels even more.

If you care anything at all about independent bands/labels that typically lose money anyways, then support them by not illegally downloading their music.

Also no idea, is a larger indie, for some of the smaller guys, it cost a lot more for download codes, and we have to go through a third party, because our websites cannot typically handle the huge strain of having so many files on them.

Support independent music, if you want it to continue, otherwise you are going too see a lot of smaller indies folding up, as well as bands.

When did this become a case of me not caring for labels? Yes i am sure theyre affected too economically, but I think you skipped over the part where i said I am doing my part and giving back by purchasing the records i like from them. It's not like i'm downloading torrents left and right, and then seeding to hundreds of people (i dont seed, so really the downloading on my behalf stops at me). I dont see how me not using my download codes is making labels fold.

For the most part, it seems like people do what I do, so I really don't feel in the wrong.

I bought an Ion IPTUSB for the same reason and it makes shit mp3s. Any suggestions?

Good turntable + iMic + Final Vinyl = killer mp3s

Do you know of a good set up for a PC? About 8 years ago I used a good turntable, my preamp, and Cakewalk Pro. Is there anything newer that will work better? End thread jacking.

downloads codes are nice, but usually always crap bitrate. it's simple. Lame 3.97 V0. get into it. no need for 320kbps or .WMA files. i prefer a record to cost a few bucks more for a cd copy (promo copy, plastic sleeve, whatever) to come with it so i can make the better digital copy myself. if not, i still download almost every digital code just to see how it is or have it on my computer if i ever really need it. i have an ipod, i want everything on it for work.

i've always been a downloader, i've always been a buyer. i'm sorry if that offends people, but it's the truth. if you're buying ANYTHING, i think it's a vast improvement over the majority of people buying NO records. hell, i want to press vinyl. i want people to hear the bands i want to put out, whether they download it or not. whether they love it or hate it, at least one more person has heard something they wouldn't have bought to hear otherwise.

the problem with getting a download link right when you order the record is that most people aren't going to order from a record label directly and are going to miss out on that. if they're picking the record up on tour and the lp doesn't have a code, the person is supporting the artist but not getting the full potential of the purchase. i think a download code is pretty much the best way to go with making the consumer happy and keeping them coming back for more artists on that label in the future.

i support small labels, big labels, indie stores, chain stores. i don't care, just have what i'm looking for and i'll be a happy customer. i am currently broke and waiting on multiple packages in the mail or on pre-order. i could stop buying music right now and stop going to shows and be able to save money but i wouldn't be happy missing out on all the new music and buying records all the time. i think we're all on this board for the same purpose. to support music that isn't necessarily mainstream and playing on the radio, to support up and coming labels and talk about the music that makes us who we are. i support that, entirely.

I love download codes, that's why I don't buy as many CD's, if a vinyl doesn't come with a code i download the torrent.

I haven't ordered anything from No Idea in a while, but do you let people know about the codes? I haven't seen it on the site before. Often I only have a budget to buy one record and I have decided against No Idea because you don't have a code, and they're not popular enough to have a torrent. Whereas if I get the latest B9, guaranteed it's going to be more popular. I figure if you tell people they will use them more often.

dude! they have figured out how to play records in your car!

[image]

Hahaha phenomenal!

my bother's godfather had one of these!!! i didnt believe it until he showed me a Polaroid of it from the 60s. It was fucking insane. I asked him about skipping, and he said that the actual player was installed UPSIDE DOWN so the needle wouldn't jostle off the record as badly when he went over bumps down on Woodward Ave. ( a famous cruising street in Detroit)

Hahaha phenomenal!

my bother's godfather had one of these!!! i didnt believe it until he showed me a Polaroid of it from the 60s. It was fucking insane. I asked him about skipping, and he said that the actual player was installed UPSIDE DOWN so the needle wouldn't jostle off the record as badly when he went over bumps down on Woodward Ave. ( a famous cruising street in Detroit)

better than the mister disc:

[image]

download codes are of most value for vinyl-only releases of small bands, as it is often the only place you can get the mp3's of said record. Other than that, if said mp3's find their way onto a torrent site/share site I usually download from there as they tend to be up before the record gets to my house.