DOWNLOAD CODES: more results / thoughts...

vardcore

Labels! Get in touch if you want digital downloads. $10 for a 7" and $15 for an LP, I really doubt any service out there is cheaper than that.

I've got a fast server and will pretty much accommodate to your any need.. Detailed usage stats, Generate PDF files with codes if you supply artwork, offer as many files/formats as you want, and really anything else you want, at no extra charge.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only use the download codes if I can't find it anywhere else on the internet, since I am a pirate and have most likely obtained the album by other means before buying the record. When I do use them, I'm pretty happy with just 192 kbps and maybe a high quality pic of the album cover (I rocked the sweet LaGrecia album art as my desktop for a while).

i think it would be cool to get HQ scans of the inserts

Oh right, that too. Always tough to find quality scans of that stuff online, even from the labels. Including good (800x800 pixel .pngs or .jpegs) images with the MP3s would be greatly appreciated as well.

i think if this was done I would be more inclined to use the download cards more.

Var to be honest... No idea is known for being a record collector's hell/heaven

If someone owns multiple copies of a record (ie: if RAR came with a download coupon, and you had 42 copies of the record), they're not gonna use every single coupon that they have (if they do at all)

sorry if it's been said before, i don't have time to go through 4pages

I don't really download albums so having download codes is really good for me, i use them every single time i get one.

Though ultimately i quite prefer getting a copy of the cd (like fatwreck, bridge9 etc)

I tend to listen to them alot more, and like to have an actual physical copy of something rather than eating up my internet connection.

I think Bridge 9 does it best. You can download the album after checkout is complete via a direct link.

The code in the LP can get lost, mangled, etc. This way if people want it they just click a button and have it.

That said, 99% of the time I will have the record in digital format by the time I get the LP. I would rather get it directly from the label, but if I pre order something that takes 2 months to get to me, I will get it on my computer.

I think a great way to do this is kinda how Run for Cover and B9 do it... offer the download link at checkout... you dont have to worry about sending out the cards with the records, and they are a 1 time use only thing I believe (at least RFC's is) so the user can download the record and then have it in digital form.

I have been using mine more and more often. I'm on dialup, so that is part of the problem. I know with a couple of releases, I've bought all colors, so for something like the all aboard LP, I had four colors with a fifth on the way, I'll only be using one of them. I like the option, though I find like with fat, including the CD is much easier for me, though not sure which is a cheaper method and to keep costs down on vinyl, I'd go with the cheaper rather than easier...

That's also a good point, if I buy multiple copies of an album I'll only use one of the codes so that has to factor in a bit. Especially with a label like No Idea where people do buy multiple copies of the same album. For instance, with East/West I bought three copies but only used the download code from one. That would appear as only 33% of the codes being used but in fact it should be 100%.

In reality, only a very small percentage of people buy multiples. Folks who do also tend to be really excited about music in general... and very vocal about it. Which is awesome for new bands who need all the help they can get. Whooo!

Was there supposed to be a code for the Young Livers/Bridge & Tunnel split? Because I didn't get one...but, I'd like one and I'd use it!!!

Nope. So far it's just OWTH, B&T, and the #1 REASON comp. Unless I'm forgetting something.

The Good Luck LP will have a code, as will (likely) most of the upcoming full lengths. Perhaps some EPs too, but probably not all 7" records for the time being.

Any one else from the UK or Europe have problems with some codes not working in anywhere that isn't the US? I had this with few albums recently. Not No Idea.

Rise Against, Ben folds and Beck all were US only downloads. Major Labels I guess...

I like B9s way too, then even with a preorder you have the digi version straight away and I don't have to go to a torrent.

i have to agree that i prefer the link to download the album when you purchase it. i also don't mind when they toss in a cd with the album, that way i can put it on my ipod and listen to it in the car (the last two released i got from B9 actually came with cd's instead of having a download link).

That's also a good point, if I buy multiple copies of an album I'll only use one of the codes so that has to factor in a bit. Especially with a label like No Idea where people do buy multiple copies of the same album. For instance, with East/West I bought three copies but only used the download code from one. That would appear as only 33% of the codes being used but in fact it should be 100%.

In reality, only a very small percentage of people buy multiples. Folks who do also tend to be really excited about music in general... and very vocal about it. Which is awesome for new bands who need all the help they can get. Whooo!

Fair enough, I suppose my perspective is quite biased.

I almost always just download the album before or around the time it comes out, then if I like it I buy it. The only time I've ever used a download code was for the Weakerthans latest album, just because the download format was a higher bitrate than I had already, and I just wanted to see how the download code system worked.

I think that's generally what a lot of people do, so all the download codes probably will never be used.