Craziest record score ive ever had, pics included.

No your the one who thinks anyone that decides to spend more than you think is acceptable for a record deserves a punch in the face ::)

Propagandhi in my and many other peoples opinion are one of the greatest punk bands ever, period.

And to think with Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes people should only pay $50 Max 'for a record like that' is just stupid

It's a classic and will only become more of a classic with generations to come.

People reguarly pay $50 for fatwreck records that have only just been released that only are a fraction as good as this record is.

Theres a huge market for propagandhi records..and unlike many bands out there that people drop a ton of money on.

This band isn't a band with hype, but rather a band with a ton of substance. and there will ALWAYS be people willing to drop a ton of cash on this record..now and for many many years to come.

Regardless of whether you think the market is artificially inflated or not (which i happen to agree with)

One thing i dont agree with though is people who think there opinion is fact, and try to push it onto others to the point of saying 'they deserve a punch in the head'

i've read your posts for a while now and i know you like the attention and try and stir the pot so really i take most things you say with a grain of salt because like i said. You sir, are an idiot.

Sorry if you don't like what I have to say.

I've collected records for around 15 years now and I had owned a record store for nearly a decade. In that time I've seen certain bands, labels, and styles explode then collapse in terms of price. I guess that is the cyclical nature of everything. However, the current explosion of collectors and labels willing to exploit them with faux limited pressings will eventually lead to these collectors becoming overwhelmed and/or bored with their hobby. At that point the colored variant that you paid $200 for will sell on eBay for significantly less since there will be no one left willing to pay that price for it. Basic "supply and demand" economics. If my pragmatic belief makes me an idiot in your opinion, I'm ok with that.

If you believe Propagandhi is one of the greatest punk bands ever, well, there's now accounting for taste. I suggest you listen to more music.

I'm interested in some examples of what I highlighted above. Can you tell me a 1. band 2. Label 3. Style that exploded in popularity only to have it collapse? How about an album that was very valuable but is now worthless.

I don't mean due to represses but because people stopped caring about the band.

Hope thats makes sense in my ambien haze

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if you don't like what I have to say.

I've collected records for around 15 years now and I had owned a record store for nearly a decade. In that time I've seen certain bands, labels, and styles explode then collapse in terms of price. I guess that is the cyclical nature of everything. However, the current explosion of collectors and labels willing to exploit them with faux limited pressings will eventually lead to these collectors becoming overwhelmed and/or bored with their hobby. At that point the colored variant that you paid $200 for will sell on eBay for significantly less since there will be no one left willing to pay that price for it. Basic "supply and demand" economics. If my pragmatic belief makes me an idiot in your opinion, I'm ok with that.

If you believe Propagandhi is one of the greatest punk bands ever, well, there's now accounting for taste. I suggest you listen to more music.

I'm interested in some examples of what I highlighted above. Can you tell me a 1. band 2. Label 3. Style that exploded in popularity only to have it collapse? How about an album that was very valuable but is now worthless.

I don't mean due to represses but because people stopped caring about the band.

Hope thats makes sense in my ambien haze

Almost no record is "worthless". Records are a commodity not unlike a house or stock. The prices of these things fluctuate, sometimes dramatically.

A band? Both Mineral LPs used to go for $5, then over $100, now around $20-40.

A label? Old Revelation band records used to go for a marginal amount, then a large amount, then hardly anything, now a huge amount.

A style? Screamo band records used to go for a mint. Records from bands like Saetia and PG 99 now go for a fraction of what they did a few years ago.

propagandhi is one of the most overrated bands in punk rock today. they are decent. not great, not amazing, and to be perfectly frank i wouldn't spend over ten dollars on any record of theirs (except maybe less talk, more rock...that is a fantastic album).

People who like gaslight anthem shouldnt call solid bands overrated.

propagandhi is one of the most overrated bands in punk rock today. they are decent. not great, not amazing, and to be perfectly frank i wouldn't spend over ten dollars on any record of theirs (except maybe less talk, more rock...that is a fantastic album).

hahahahahaha i never said that i thought the gaslight anthem wasn't overrated. they are too, perhaps moreso than propagandhi. i've never spent over 13 dollars for any of their records either.

propagandhi is one of the best angry punk bands.

i just don't think they are that great. purely opinion. so while they might be overrated to me, they might not be to you. when i listen to them all i hear is idealistic diatribes that are cool or whatever...but i can't get with it (i should add that i think the broadways, another one of my favorite bands, were HIGHLY idealistic in their lyrics as well). i don't know. just opinion dood, chillax

Please direct me to incidences of Propagandhi being overrated so I can join in

I don't know if they've gotten better, but when i saw them, they were fucking horrible live.. i mean, they sounded like OLD SKULL's first album (hope someone gets the general idea of where i'm getting at). I loved the band's 1st album and thought, fuck these guys are tight. Boy was i ever wrong...damn who ever producded their album deserves an award i thought. oh almost forgot.. they stopped playing if people were slamming at the shows. they were biting fugazi's style. They preached more than they played actually.

I havent' seen them in over 12 years so they might have tightened up, but in the beginning they were fucking overproduced for what they really were. Loved the 1st album, but after that.. everything was meh.

actually come to think of it, i think i need to purchase the 1st album again and give it a listen.

i personally think they are overrated now.. people just listen because it's propaghandi.. sorta how everyone said that new clip of BLAKE's band was awesome though inaudible. I can't see them as groundbreaking or anything. there were tons of political bands before and after them... and their sound was nothing new at the time. But they did write some catchy tunes. just my opinion.

hell i can't judge anyone for paying $200 for a band's lp.. hell i paid 150 for a jawbreaker unfun test pressing..so..

I just dontsee how anyone can call a band that has been going strong for like 20 years overrated, I certainly wouldnt drop $200 dollars on their LPs especialy since you can buy them on black for like 10 dollars.

oh yes you can:

[image]

also see Manowar for another example of overrated band.

Folks may flame me for this, and let me just say for the record (no pun inten...) that I love Propagandhi.

But doesn't xxmartinxx's root argument make a little sense? When I first saw this thread I was impressed with the OP's find cos he got it for under $10, hell, under $25 (I mean, $4.99 is not even covering costs, is it?). I don't think there is any denying that ebay has artificially inflated costs associated with buying/collecting vinyl. The way I think about it is: If I one day had to liquidate my collection, fast, how much could I expect a reputable shop to pay for my wax? Would they go by ebay auction histories or Goldmine? The answer is more than likely Goldmine, or some other reference guide that has tons of research about the pressings, worldwide distribution of release, demand, etc. Looking at what something sold for on ebay isn't necessarily market research and I think it is a safe bet that we'd all be a little shocked at how much *less* our wax is *worth*.

However, how many of us really buy records to flip them? I certainly don't and neither do any of my friends. And thus, the intrinsic value of my copy of Rock For Light is worth WAYYY more to me than $35 or whatever it last went for on ebay. I ain't down for slamming people's music tastes, and while I think xxmartinxx could've made his point differently, I still see the validity of what he was really talking about. I think it really is something to bear in mind the next time I/you/we consider spending 2 weeks worth of groceries on a single LP.

Anyway, I congratulate the OP on his/her amazing find. Moments like that always get my heart pounding and are 98% of the reason I love going to brick and mortar shops.

I love this board.

Folks may flame me for this, and let me just say for the record (no pun inten...) that I love Propagandhi.

But doesn't xxmartinxx's root argument make a little sense? When I first saw this thread I was impressed with the OP's find cos he got it for under $10, hell, under $25 (I mean, $4.99 is not even covering costs, is it?). I don't think there is any denying that ebay has artificially inflated costs associated with buying/collecting vinyl. The way I think about it is: If I one day had to liquidate my collection, fast, how much could I expect a reputable shop to pay for my wax? Would they go by ebay auction histories or Goldmine? The answer is more than likely Goldmine, or some other reference guide that has tons of research about the pressings, worldwide distribution of release, demand, etc. Looking at what something sold for on ebay isn't necessarily market research and I think it is a safe bet that we'd all be a little shocked at how much *less* our wax is *worth*.

However, how many of us really buy records to flip them? I certainly don't and neither do any of my friends. And thus, the intrinsic value of my copy of Rock For Light is worth WAYYY more to me than $35 or whatever it last went for on ebay. I ain't down for slamming people's music tastes, and while I think xxmartinxx could've made his point differently, I still see the validity of what he was really talking about. I think it really is something to bear in mind the next time I/you/we consider spending 2 weeks worth of groceries on a single LP.

Anyway, I congratulate the OP on his/her amazing find. Moments like that always get my heart pounding and are 98% of the reason I love going to brick and mortar shops.

I love this board.

I take the blame for my comments devolving into "Propagandhi sucks". It's really not about. It's about a recent (yes, a record that came out 7 years ago is recent) record selling for $200. That's a LOT of fucking money. How much does the black vinyl version go for? (that's not a rhetorical question, I'd like to know)

Matt, I do disagree that eBay prices aren't the market value. eBay IS the best real time judge of market value for nearly everything. I don't believe it's eBay that's causing inflation for vinyl, rather an influx of people into the collecting market that seem to think that those prices are reasonable and sustaining. They are neither.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade. Congrats to the guy who found these records. I'm just trying trying to be a voice of reason to people thinking of dropping huge cash on records right now. Wait a while. You'll be able to find everything cheaper eventually.

I don't think anybody is right in all of this. There's too many variables that can't be predicted. All it takes is for a band to gain the slightest bit of exposure and a brand new crop of vinyl collectors that were previously oblivious to the band are going to start collecting them and what may have been considered an inflated price just became the floor. And it may never drop back down. But by the same token, most of the 1950s records that were worth a shit ton 10-15 years ago are only worth a fraction of the price and not necessarily because of the artist's credibility or popularity. Sure, part of that is the fact that the internet made everything a lot more available but a lot of it is because people die off in time and/or quit collecting with age. Will Elvis ever really be less popular? I doubt it, but from a collecting standpoint his moderately rare records have dropped in value dramatically as have most artists from that era. Those used to be the cream of the crop. You just can't predict this shit. The only thing that seems to hold true is that the very rarest records by the most popular artists don't seem to ever come back to earth.

Matt, I do disagree that eBay prices aren't the market value. eBay IS the best real time judge of market value for nearly everything.

Hmm, I'd have to agree w/ that point I guess - in "real time". But doesn't that fly in the face of how the longevity of the value of said product is determined? (Maybe I am not explaining well enough, but I really am asking and we can take this discussion into PM's if you want). I just think it is all much more complex in determining the long-term cash value for a record than what a microcosm of a sub-culture is willing to pay now.

I suppose what I am asking is: isn't there a clear difference between real-time market value and market longevity?

To use one of your [very good] analogies - look at what has happened because of real-time/short-term real estate values vs. the longevity of said market. It's vastly more complex, I know, but it seems to me that a large part of the problem was that people were led to believe that what they owned was worth much, much more than what they could realistically value it at - and that seems to happen with records. Just bcs I happen to get lucky and sell a "rare" single for, say $75, on ebay one week, that same single in the same condition can go for $10 the week after. So, it seems obvious that the conditions surrounding the two examples have less to do w/ what the single may actually be valued at and more to do with fluctuations in bidders' habits and actions from week to week.

Or am I missing a part of your explanation?

Sure, part of that is the fact that the internet made everything a lot more available but a lot of it is because people die off in time and/or quit collecting with age

Totally - access is a huge factor - remember when imports used to be $40 or 3x the $ of a domestic release?

The interesting part of your statement is that as collectors die, the majority of those collections get put back in the market, in one big gulp. More often than not, when Princeton Record Exchange buys a collection, the rare and hard to find vinyl is dramatically priced lower than what you'd expect these days. I assume this is because the shop knows that they will make enough money due to the increased traffic to the shop and that they bought in bulk so it took less labor looking for those rare records. Just a feeling.

The interesting part of your statement is that as collectors die, the majority of those collections get put back in the market, in one big gulp. More often than not, when Princeton Record Exchange buys a collection, the rare and hard to find vinyl is dramatically priced lower than what you'd expect these days. I assume this is because the shop knows that they will make enough money due to the increased traffic to the shop and that they bought in bulk so it took less labor looking for those rare records. Just a feeling.

I didn't think of it like that. I assume it's simply because there's fewer people in the next generation that want the music. The few that do probably don't care how rare the version is with the RCA dog on the left of the label versus the top of the label (or whatever.) Hell, they're probably more concerned with having a reissue from the 70s or 80s that is likely to be in better condition.

The imports I used to buy in the late 90s/early 00s were typically about double the price. Still pricey but well worth it since it was usually the only way to get it on vinyl.

Guest noeffinidea
the avatar is fuckin tiny, who cares if you're at work

And on that note, no one should have to change their avatar, regardless if it's safe for work or not. That's why it's called work and not 8 hours of cruising the VC board.