Folie a Deux has leaked

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conoley
Pete Wentz is a pretentious piece of old man dick.

He's actually a pretty nice guy who just likes having people pay attention to him, is all. Don't know how anything he does makes him "pretentious," unless you're using some sort of obscure definition of the word that I don't know about.

You only know him (as far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong) in a professional sense. It's his job to be nice to you. Regardless, I think he does a lot of things that are ostentatious rather than pretentious.

ambitious never means good. any open-minded person could easily say something they don't like is ambitious. that being said, the quote you gave makes sense to me. i don't like particular things but i can understand how some people might. and the music isn't absolute shit (at least, not in most mases). it's just pop-punk

Now, I could be in a camp of my own(probably a broader base that I can truly give credit for) but this isn't pop punk. It's pop shit. They were able to take a format- pop punk- engineer it into something that was acceptable to the masses at this point- "pop punk w/ hip hop and engineered bullshit- and sell it. This, this is not pop punk. Give me a fucking queers album or teenage bottlerocket any day before you try and pass this SHIT off as pop punk. This is no better than Jonas Brothers. Even if Vinny did sign them.

as some other people said before, i haven't considered them pop-punk since from under the cork tree. counting their entire career, i'd consider them a pop-punk band. this newest album (so far) definitely branches out, so with the sound they have now i would just consider them a pop band. but they still have punk elements, and they still play old songs and shit, so i'd definitely say they were a pop-punk band

WARNING: DRUNKEN FOB DEFENSE.

so i love everything theyve put out. they have grown as a band (not necessarily as musicians) but theyve grown. they have become something bigger than the pop-punk they used to make and people shit on them for it. well fuck you.

fall out boy make some damn good pop tunes these days and write some fucking great hooks. regardless of the fact they started as a pop-punk band, they arnt anymore and ppl need to realize they dont cater to that.

grow up. deal with the fact this band doesnt make the soundtrack to your high school career (or in my case, college) and get over it. enjoy the fucking music and realize they stopped trying to impress you in 03.

Slow clap. Well put even if it is drunken.

He's actually a pretty nice guy who just likes having people pay attention to him, is all. Don't know how anything he does makes him "pretentious," unless you're using some sort of obscure definition of the word that I don't know about.

You only know him (as far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong) in a professional sense. It's his job to be nice to you. Regardless, I think he does a lot of things that are ostentatious rather than pretentious.

I knew him well before I started my current job.

scott, i'm done listening to/scanning the album, and you're write about the b-side. however, i stand by the a-side having some genuinely fun pop tunes. POP tunes. don't expect this to have great lyrics or groundbreaking sounds. expect it to be catchy. and it is ambitious for fall out boy.

Guest conoley

I knew him well before I started my current job.

I didn't say that you met him through your current job. I meant that you probably know him through music press. But if I am wrong, I am wrong.

Pete Wentz is a pretentious piece of old man dick.

Pretentious in the indie world just means you got too big for the britches people feel you should be wearing. If these guys put these records out as CD-R's that you could only get at shows and they weren't on MTV or liked by 13 year old girls they wouldn't get half the shit they do. They're popular. It has nothing to do with the quality of the music. The last one had a few songs I wasn't crazy about, but it was an interesting record that finally told the world what Michael Jackson's pop punk band would sound like.

And thats why I fucking dig them so much. They've never written the same record twice. While they keep the basic ideas behind their tunes the same (woot for big choruses) they've always tried new things. And I'm sorry, but if they wanted to be bigger they would have stopped putting screaming, and Madball breakdowns in their tunes after Take This To Your Grave. They just don't really give a shit.

I also find it amusing that people still harp on the eye liner bullshit, as if it has anything to do with the music. Lots of great and shitty bands wore make up. It isn't a re-rec to blowing. Also anyone who has ever paid money to see Bury Your Dead and talks about wishing they were in the 60's when it was about the music instead of fashion should got to the hospital ASAP. I think you just blew an irony fuse.

i really like The (Shipped) Gold Standard. Theres a line in that song that seriously just hit me like a ton of bricks...i can totally see this being something i spin regularly. anyone heard any info on a vinyl release?

Dude there was a thread (don't feel like looking honestly) http://gomerch.com/PRE-ORDER/FOB/ If I remember correctly (if not sorry dudes/dudettes) lots of lulz on the $130 package with vinyl....But yeah you can get it otherwise minus the stuff...

HAHA! I love this shit. So let's recap:

1) They've really branched out, it's awful but they really tried to branch out. Cool, I except the "Lifetime Achievement" Grammy to be in the mail to the Descendents for "Orgofart" It really branched out, no one else was make that music at the time! You know who else branched out, Limp Bizkit, shit they covered "Behind Blue Eyes"! Let's give Fred a round of applause! Making bad music that's different (and not even in a good sense but just cashing in on another markets popularity) doesn't make it good or respectable.

2) Really, Pete being nice or a dick is irrelevant. I know someone brought it up, which is why Scott defended him, but should that matter? I'll never meet 90% of the people I own music by and I try not to let what little trickles down through the pipeline influence my opinion of a band.

3) They've really grown, not as musicians but like they've grown...in age. They do make different music that's for sure but that also doesn't make it good. Kid Rock started as an awful rapper, became an awful rap-rocker and then became an awful country musician. He truly spread out and became something bigger and different than he was. Was it ever good? No, so it doesn't matter.

Again, I don't dislike the band. If they're playing at a party I'm not going to leave the room or make a scene but anyone who feels they're more than a pop act (not a boy band, they're not pre-fabricated) is kidding themselves. They're not great, they're not special and they're not doing anything amazing.

You know who writes a good pop song? Jeff Tweedy.

you know who has a habit of hiding those pop songs under waves of fuzz making said pop songs unlistenable to 90% of the world? Jeff Tweedy

see, that's why I won't like Fall Out Boy ever. It's easy, it's palatable, it's derivative. Listen to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Kicking Television and that is the kind of pop music I want to hear. If you can't make it through the "fuzz" then why do you like punk in the first place? Give me a Nudie Suit over eyeshadow any day of the week.

You know who writes a good pop song? Jeff Tweedy.

you know who has a habit of hiding those pop songs under waves of fuzz making said pop songs unlistenable to 90% of the world? Jeff Tweedy

ROFL

wow.

hilarious thread. the awful taste of the majority of VC members is amazing. And their attempts to defend such wretched taste is just outstanding.