Folie a Deux has leaked

You know who writes a good pop song? Jeff Tweedy.

you know who has a habit of hiding those pop songs under waves of fuzz making said pop songs unlistenable to 90% of the world? Jeff Tweedy

Dude, I'm not saying anyone has to like Wilco, to each his own. But you can't say that any of Wilco's material is unlistenable. there are a few tracks on YHF that have a lot of fuzz in them but in no way are they unlistenable.

and, Skank, I couldn't agree more. Jeff Tweedy is a brilliant songwriter.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know who has a habit of hiding those pop songs under waves of fuzz making said pop songs unlistenable to 90% of the world? Jeff Tweedy

Dude, I'm not saying anyone has to like Wilco, to each his own. But you can't say that any of Wilco's material is unlistenable. there are a few tracks on YHF that have a lot of fuzz in them but in no way are they unlistenable.

I could listen to YHF for a month straight(which I have almost done before) and still love every minute of it. Did you know that the label didn't want to put it out at first because they thought it was to "weird"(LOKI), so they self released it and now it's one of the best albums in their catalog.

I could listen to YHF for a month straight(which I have almost done before) and still love every minute of it. Did you know that the label didn't want to put it out at first because they thought it was to "weird"(LOKI), so they self released it and now it's one of the best albums in their catalog.

not to mention an album rolling stone gave 5 stars and called "an american classic".

Don't think a pub like RS would give that review to an unlistenable record.

not to mention an album rolling stone gave 5 stars and called "an american classic".

When did I ever say I didn't like Wilco?

Oh and I was speaking of A Ghost..., which got tons of reviews saying "unlistenable noise" around the world. Personally it's my second favorite.

The point is just because you dont like something doesn't mean it is worthless. I think its awesome that because I enjoy Fall Out Boy people assume I know nothing about music or can't like anything but pop punk. It's simple on its face but if you look at it musically there's more to it. I'm sorry you disagree but I think combining Lifetime and Michael Jackson is fun.

Acting like Flicker doesn't mean you listen to better music. It just means you're cutting yourself off from something you might be able to enjoy blindly. I see no reason why a dude can't equally get down to Sonic Youth, Fall Out Boy, Gnaw Their Tongues, Wolves in the Throne Room, Ratatat, Neutral Milk Hotel, Otis Redding, The Starting Line, Paramore, Rehana, Notorious B.I.G., or Hall and Otes. (Just reading off the last batch of artists that have come through on shuffle) . There are definitely bands I profoundly hate, but I have set reasons, not "the music sucks." There are people in every genre that blow, it doesn't mean everything in that genre sucks.

Not everyone with a swoop hair cut is the enemy, and not everyone who comes out of Wilhelmsburg or gets positive reviews is worthwhile.

Also using Rolling Stone as a source for "respected music journalism" is a laugh. The people who buy and read that magazine are the folks like my father who remember when it mattered and assume it still does. Outside of their political commentary (which is killer) they haven't broken anything important to the music world in a long ass time. Except maybe the record for Brittany Spears covers in a supposedly respected journal.

You know what gets me, you all keep writing about 'pop' music like it's a fucking genre, with restrictions and recognisable patterns. And yet I bet you're all like me and get pissed off when people use 'indie' as a genre defenition. Pop ain't a genre it's short for popular. Defending Fall Out Boy because they write 'good pop songs' and that's all you should expect from them is just as fucking played out as saying they suck because you hate mainstream punky shit (like I said). Let's hush up and accept that pop music will always suck because it has to be palatable to a wide audience and thus must settle for a mediocrity that appeases many.

oh and fuck pete wentz, in the eyeliner

You know what gets me, you all keep writing about 'pop' music like it's a fucking genre, with restrictions and recognisable patterns. And yet I bet you're all like me and get pissed off when people use 'indie' as a genre defenition. Pop ain't a genre it's short for popular. Defending Fall Out Boy because they write 'good pop songs' and that's all you should expect from them is just as fucking played out as saying they suck because you hate mainstream punky shit (like I said). Let's hush up and accept that pop music will always suck because it has to be palatable to a wide audience and thus must settle for a mediocrity that appeases many.

pop music is a softer form of rock and roll. The Beatles were a pop band. The Rolling Stones were a R&B band. I wouldn't include Brittany Spears as a pop act, regardless of if she is a part of pop culture. I've read way too many freaking books on the subject to be able to stop using classifications.

Also Bury Your Dead wears more eyeliner than Pete, who at the very least can say he was in a good hardcore band.

...except there is a genre of music called "pop music."

you know what genre of music i HATE? Christian Music. you have rap, pop, metal, everything really, lumped into one category based on its lyrical content...where all other genres are based on sound of the music.

WTF.

INDIE MUSIC, GOD DAMN I GET SO PISSED AT THE ELITIST HIPSTER DOUCHES. I've kind of gotten off this but the point still stands that indie shouldn't be the name of a style of music. I wonder if less people would listen to it if they called it like lofi pop rock or something.

you know what genre of music i HATE? Christian Music. you have rap, pop, metal, everything really, lumped into one category based on its lyrical content...where all other genres are based on sound of the music.

WTF.

INDIE MUSIC, GOD DAMN I GET SO PISSED AT THE ELITIST HIPSTER DOUCHES. I've kind of gotten off this but the point still stands that indie shouldn't be the name of a style of music. I wonder if less people would listen to it if they called it like lofi pop rock or something.

its been my experience that most indie bands play a style of music closer to shoegaze, but indie is easier to say. and i would imagine a shitton of hipster douches wouldnt listen to something if it was called shoegaze.

but my point is, even indie is based on a general sound. Christian music, well isnt.

its been my experience that most indie bands play a style of music closer to shoegaze, but indie is easier to say. and i would imagine a shitton of hipster douches wouldnt listen to something if it was called shoegaze.

but my point is, even indie is based on a general sound. Christian music, well isnt.

I don't even know what shoegaze is, lofi pop rock was my best description.

and yeah, but really it kind of make sense because not too many people listen to christian music that aren't christian. Solely christian radio stations exist for a reason, there is that group out there.

Oh and I was speaking of A Ghost..., which got tons of reviews saying "unlistenable noise" around the world. Personally it's my second favorite.

The point is just because you dont like something doesn't mean it is worthless. I think its awesome that because I enjoy Fall Out Boy people assume I know nothing about music or can't like anything but pop punk. It's simple on its face but if you look at it musically there's more to it. I'm sorry you disagree but I think combining Lifetime and Michael Jackson is fun.

Acting like Flicker doesn't mean you listen to better music. It just means you're cutting yourself off from something you might be able to enjoy blindly. I see no reason why a dude can't equally get down to Sonic Youth, Fall Out Boy, Gnaw Their Tongues, Wolves in the Throne Room, Ratatat, Neutral Milk Hotel, Otis Redding, The Starting Line, Paramore, Rehana, Notorious B.I.G., or Hall and Otes. (Just reading off the last batch of artists that have come through on shuffle) . There are definitely bands I profoundly hate, but I have set reasons, not "the music sucks." There are people in every genre that blow, it doesn't mean everything in that genre sucks.

Not everyone with a swoop hair cut is the enemy, and not everyone who comes out of Wilhelmsburg or gets positive reviews is worthwhile.

Also using Rolling Stone as a source for "respected music journalism" is a laugh. The people who buy and read that magazine are the folks like my father who remember when it mattered and assume it still does. Outside of their political commentary (which is killer) they haven't broken anything important to the music world in a long ass time. Except maybe the record for Brittany Spears covers in a supposedly respected journal.

All I was trying to say was that RS gave a YHF a high review and it being a mainstream rag...they wouldn't push an album that was just fluttering noise and fuzz...I understand it's not a hotbed of credible musical journalism. although David Fricke (who I believe wrote that review) is pretty damn credible.

I also never called you out for liking FOB. They're not my thing, but if you like them that's fine w/ me. All things considered, they do write pretty good pop songs. I have very broad tastes as well..like most of the people on this board. When you said that Wilco was unlistenable I thought that was an incredibly broad statement...I guess that's why I felt compelled to comment back, and I agree that Jeff Tweedy writes great songs.

Taste is all relative. It is what it is.

Anyway, just wanted to rebute a little, sorry for being long-winded.

All I was trying to say was that RS gave a YHF a high review and it being a mainstream rag...they wouldn't push an album that was just fluttering noise and fuzz...I understand it's not a hotbed of credible musical journalism. although David Fricke (who I believe wrote that review) is pretty damn credible.

I also never called you out for liking FOB. They're not my thing, but if you like them that's fine w/ me. All things considered, they do write pretty good pop songs. I have very broad tastes as well..like most of the people on this board. When you said that Wilco was unlistenable I thought that was an incredibly broad statement...I guess that's why I felt compelled to comment back, and I agree that Jeff Tweedy writes great songs.

Taste is all relative. It is what it is.

Anyway, just wanted to rebute a little, sorry for being long-winded.

That part wasn't directed at you. I just prefer not to quote 50 different posts. The point on Ghost remains though. :)

I don't even know what shoegaze is, lofi pop rock was my best description.

and yeah, but really it kind of make sense because not too many people listen to christian music that aren't christian. Solely christian radio stations exist for a reason, there is that group out there.

shoegaze: Blonde Redhead, Autolux, The ALbum Leaf, M83, Slowdive, Etc. (assistance from wikipedia)