Good Documentaries

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
oh man i forgot what it's called but i saw it a couple months ago at 4 in the morning down at school. it was ironic that i watched it that late because it was about insomnia. it was really well done. fuck i wish i remembered the name of it. it was about this guy who is a documentary filmmaker (the film was actually an autobiography, if you can call it that) and he has insomnia and a new born baby. so he's SUPER protective of his baby's sleep habits so that the kid doesn't end up like him, and stay up all night doing useless things just because he can't sleep.

it's called "wide awake" and it's by alan berliner.

also, check out this website for some really good free ones you can watch online:

http://freedocumentaries.com/

A few of my favorites have already been mentioned, I'd also go with:

The Devil and Daniel Johnson

Crumb

one not mentioned:

Riding Giants - It's a really well done history of surfing. Highly recommended.

Also, although it sounds cheesy, check out March of the Penguins if you haven't already. Really sad stuff.

Just watched Heckler last night, it starts off as an analysis/deconstruction of the heckler (which is actually really intersting) then mutates into this bashfest on critics -- it's basically Jamie Kennedy going around asking critics why they didn't like Malibu's Most Wanted or Son Of The Mask. Pretty disappointing, considering it started off so strong.

Just watched Heckler last night, it starts off as an analysis/deconstruction of the heckler (which is actually really intersting) then mutates into this bashfest on critics -- it's basically Jamie Kennedy going around asking critics why they didn't like Malibu's Most Wanted or Son Of The Mask. Pretty disappointing, considering it started off so strong.

i watched this a few weeks ago and actually wrote basically the exact same criticism of it in my blog (which hasn't been touched in like 3 weeks haha)

man on wire was pretty interesting. dude is crazy

I thought it was incredibly boring. They took a 15 minute story and told it over the course of an hour and a half.

I thought it was interested as well. the dude is whacked. he was just on Colbert the other night too. I thought the ended was really rushed and a little confusing, but still an interested watch.

apologies for the lazyness of not checking the last few pages, but has JESUS CAMP been discussed yet? holy shit! we watched this the other night. all i have to say is it's amazing. i don't know how many kids on this board grew up in a religious family, but some of that flick was all too familiar. when it's not scary or sad or upsetting, it's almost unbelievable and borderline funny. im at work so this is all really brief, but i'll be back.....

p.s. i heard the scrabble doc was pretty awesome too. and devil and daniel johnston began my obsession.

I thought it was interesteding as well. the dude is whacked. he was just on Colbert the other night too. I thought the endeding was really rushed and a little confusing, but still an interesteding watch.

You are confusing the proper usage of -ing vs. -ed.

For clarification:

-ing1 

a suffix of nouns formed from verbs, expressing the action of the verb or its result, product, material, etc. (the art of building; a new building; cotton wadding). It is also used to form nouns from words other than verbs (offing; shirting). Verbal nouns ending in -ing are often used attributively (the printing trade) and in forming compounds (drinking song). In some compounds (sewing machine), the first element might reasonably by regarded as the participial adjective, -ing2, the compound thus meaning “a machine that sews,” but it is commonly taken as a verbal noun, the compound being explained as “a machine for sewing.”

Example: Your errors were corrected (past tense). Your errors need correcting (present tense).

Also, please capitalize sentences in the future.

Yours truly,

grammarpolice

;)