Good Documentaries

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you liked Munich or are in the least intrigued by the '72 Olympics, check out One Day In September. Fantastic stuff.

yea, that's a aweosme doc..

also

War Room

Dark Days - this is one you should see about the people living under the ny subway

Hands on hardbody - a doc everyone should see about those stupid contests

The Devils Playground - stories of AMISH young during Ruspringa (i thiink that's how you spell it)

Beyond the MAt - FUCKING A!!! JAKE THE SNAKE ON CRACK!!!!

Dig is fucking awesome too.

Brother's keeper

FUCK. I got all the way through two pages hoping I'd be the first to say this. But really, it's a great doc-it's about three septuagenarian brothers who live together in this little shack and the dynamic between them and with the town they live in. Also, Man on Wire, The Weather Underground, and My Kid Could Paint That.

dark days suckeeeeddddd

boring as fuck

Get the fuck out of town... really?

I thought it was awesome, how this guy basically in the process of filming these people lost everything and had to live like they did in order to keep filming. Rather than seeing these people's situations as an outsider, he was forced to live like the people he was filming. It was nice to see what had happened to them after they were given temporary housing to get on their feet.

oh yeah dark days rules too

Definitely Dark Days!

If you're interested in politics or recent American wars then The Fog of War is an absolute must, it's entirely an interview with Robert McNamara, he flew planes in WWII and has been involved in every war since. It's incredible. It was done by Errol Morris who did the Thin Blue Line. He also did Standard Operating Procedure that was about the pictures that came out of Abu Ghraib and the people who took the pictures, very interesting.

The Corporation is always interesting, it's about corporations (surprise surprise) and their history and current position in society.

War Made Easy was, in my humble opinion, one of the best anti-war documentaries, about media complacency in the lead up to the Iraq War.

For an interesting movie about an obscure local hero check out The Agronomist (maybe he's more famous and I'm just unaware). Jean Dominique ran an independent radio station in Haiti and was eventually assassinated for it. Plus the soundtrack was done by Wyclef Jean.

Harlan County, USA is about a labor strike in the '70's in Kansas. Some hippie type people from New York happened to be down there to film the start of the strike that ended up lasting for over a year. It's an incredible documentary that captures some amazing things, like fights and really heated arguments and some wives facing off the police on the line. There's also stuff about the scabs that cross the line and the shit they got for it, it's really heartbreaking as one brother disowns another.

Gonzo is crazy and awesome.

King of Kong. Again.

Grizzly Man is fuckin nuts and incredibly entertaining. Good nature film and then turns into watching a crazy dude break down, and domestic abuse with foxes.

A LEAGUE OF ORDINARY GENTLEMEN. This film is awesome, about the Professional Bowling Association rebirth in 2001. Kingpin was so on the money with these guys.

Bigger Stronger Faster* is awesome. The whole movie is about this guy trying to decide if steroids are morally wrong or not because him and his brothers have all used them so he goes all around to every side of the steroid arguement, it's completely non-biased.

The Devil And Daniel Johnston is really great too. It's music related just due to the fact that he's a musician but it's more about how crazy he was and also influential.

Deliver Us From Evil someone already mentioned it but it's about the pedophilia coverup of a priest. It shows his victims years later and they are still messed up and the dude is still super creepy. It's really good too.

The Devil And Daniel Johnston is really great too. It's music related just due to the fact that he's a musician but it's more about how crazy he was and also influential.

Good call. I had never even heard of that guy when the doc came out but I watched it and it was really good.

I had heard of him and knew people like Bright Eyes had covered him in the past but didn't know much about him. I still need to buy this movie.