MORE info on DL code useage

Hey nerds, here's some updated statistics. No conclusions, just throwing it out there:

B&T LP:

Number of codes generated: 1265

Accessed: 200

That's a little under 16% using them so far...

OWTH LP:

Number of codes generated: 2092

Accessed: 354

That's just under 17% using them so far...

I had thought it would be more like 80% using the codes... ha.

(This info does not include re-pressings from the last week or two.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit I did not know From the Bottom came with a code either I am going to hafta go home and look and see if I have one in there I will def use it. As for B&T I used mine and it was awesome I like the idea of DL codes alot but then again I use my MP3 player alot so it works for me I say keep them though there really cheap to get (Nick from DF has great deals on them) and I think the usage of them will increase over time. I feel a lot of if could be lazyness too people just never get around to it. Hey Var does the DL code for the Reasons to move to Gainsville LP work yet??

i personally think codes would get used more for 7"s.

The trick is this: are you willing to pay extra if 7" come with DL codes? We make $0 on 7" records as it is... adding the cost of the code/insertion/moderating... the $ just ain't there, unless we charge more for the 7". Maybe a slight raise is okay at the direct-mailorder level, but once it hits distributor, and then onto a store... the markup ends up being a bummer.

This is why our 7" are appearing on iTunes. Besides the fact that our starving bands are actually greedy bastards and are cashing in bigtime off this. (Or not, haha!)

i personally think codes would get used more for 7"s.

The trick is this: are you willing to pay extra if 7" come with DL codes? We make $0 on 7" records as it is... adding the cost of the code/insertion/moderating... the $ just ain't there, unless we charge more for the 7". Maybe a slight raise is okay at the direct-mailorder level, but once it hits distributor, and then onto a store... the markup ends up being a bummer.

This is why our 7" are appearing on iTunes. Besides the fact that our starving bands are actually greedy bastards and are cashing in bigtime off this. (Or not, haha!)

I would definitely pay a few bucks more on 7"s if they came with a download. I hate listening to 7" vinyl rips on my iPod!

what about if you included bonus songs in the download? like a demo or live song or some such

Why? To what end? To up the amount of people using the codes? Seems circular.

The split I did with Sleeper Horse and Echoes of Harper's Ferry has a dl card w/ a bonus Thin Lizzy cover by Sleeper Horse. I think it is a good way to market the 7" a bit more. The dl card might get used more. Of course, I just printed mine on paper and didn't pay much to host them, so it may be entirely different for you.

Also, where do you host your downloads, Var? Nick from deadformat hosts any release of any size for $15 I believe. It's not free, but if you're selling a ton of records the price per record is next to nothing.

We host our own DL. It still takes extra time and everyone here is on the clock, etc. The moderating takes more time than you'd think.

well now that the thingamajig is working again, you'll be able to add 3-4 codes to your used area, like said above, I had the From the Bottom LP for a while and didn't realize it had one until your first download thread started.

I wouldn't pay a lot extra for a 7" with a download.

what about if you included bonus songs in the download? like a demo or live song or some such

Why? To what end? To up the amount of people using the codes? Seems circular.

I bought a record a few days ago and right on the cover it mentions the download coming with extras, though I haven't grabbed it yet, kind of cool...

if the cost of the 7" would rise for it though, no thanks.

...yeah the more i think about it, the more I'm leaning towards not paying extra at all for downloads.

Though with my perspective is that with my label...my time is not really accounted for, but Var has kids to feed, employees to pay, BILLS and all that kind of fun grown up stuff...so I'd say at max 5-15 cents more for 7"s...but it should be included. the downloads including bonus tracks is a neat idea.

I'm also cheap too. So that doesn't help either.