MORE info on DL code useage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah! The bonus song on my labels split 7" was a cover song, obviously, so when SleeperHorse drunkenly told me they were doing a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Jail Break" I started looking into the royalty thing. Then I realized, not only is there no more room on the 7", but if I throw the cover on as a free bonus track, I'm technically not making money off of that song. To me it's kind of a scapegoat for not paying some huge ass company their royalties. I mean all that in the nicest of ways?

Oh yeah! The bonus song on my labels split 7" was a cover song, obviously, so when SleeperHorse drunkenly told me they were doing a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Jail Break" I started looking into the royalty thing. Then I realized, not only is there no more room on the 7", but if I throw the cover on as a free bonus track, I'm technically not making money off of that song. To me it's kind of a scapegoat for not paying some huge ass company their royalties. I mean all that in the nicest of ways?

you're actually not ripping off a huge company, While yes, BMI and ASCAP, etc are big companies, they're also paying the artists royalties on their work...so you're kinda ripping off the dudes who were in Thin Lizzy.

you're actually not ripping off a huge company, While yes, BMI and ASCAP, etc are big companies, they're also paying the artists royalties on their work...so you're kinda ripping off the dudes who were in Thin Lizzy.

Yeah, I have thought about this. The song was never going to go on anything. It was just for fun I believe or maybe a free download on myspace. It was never intended to make money, and I thought I would throw it on as a free download, plus I wouldn't have to worry about royalties. Now, if I do end up making money on this (a repress would have to happen for this to be possible) I was planning on creating some kind of invoice and making sure the band got it directly. I don't know how possible that is though.

Yeah, I have thought about this. The song was never going to go on anything. It was just for fun I believe or maybe a free download on myspace. It was never intended to make money, and I thought I would throw it on as a free download, plus I wouldn't have to worry about royalties. Now, if I do end up making money on this (a repress would have to happen for this to be possible) I was planning on creating some kind of invoice and making sure the band got it directly. I don't know how possible that is though.

It's probably in the grand scheme of big 70's rock and roll bands, compared to other ENORMOUS bands, it's probably not THAT hard to get in touch with somebody from Thin Lizzy. The rest of those guys probably still live in Ireland. do some research...

It's probably in the grand scheme of big 70's rock and roll bands, compared to other ENORMOUS bands, it's probably not THAT hard to get in touch with somebody from Thin Lizzy. The rest of those guys probably still live in Ireland. do some research...

Very good to know. I'm trying to keep very good inventory so I know when I do break even. This is when payouts would happen. I do want to talk to the band though. It's worth mentioning for other small labels that a lot of times these bands don't care if you cover their songs. Just ask nicely.

I love having download codes, especially for releases that will not be released on CD. I use them all the time. I like being able to have the tunes in the car with me.

My only complaint is usually bit rates for the downloads. AT LEAST 192kbps, however, 320 would be even better, and FLAC files would be perfect! However, you're dealing with space and bandwidth issues then. So I understand both side of the argument...

I still say there's a ton of people who have no idea there's a coupon in the OWTH release. I think that plays a big part in the low redemption rate.

I was looking through the copy of it I bought at Hot Topic the other day and was really surprised to see a code in it. I didn't think there would be.

also, as has been said several times, a lot of people buy a ton of copies of no idea stuff, so only 1 code would be used out of them all. the OWTH record, i went to a hot topic last night and there were 4 copies there, so that also would play into it i would think. they have codes but haven't sold.

I love having download codes, especially for releases that will not be released on CD. I use them all the time. I like being able to have the tunes in the car with me.

My only complaint is usually bit rates for the downloads. AT LEAST 192kbps, however, 320 would be even better, and FLAC files would be perfect! However, you're dealing with space and bandwidth issues then. So I understand both side of the argument...

I'm a huge proponent of high quality audio, which is one of the reasons why I started VinylDownloads w/ KW. We usually inform labels that if they can, they shouldn't go any lower than 256kbps, and when it's applicable I'll suggest FLAC. I'd love to see the next Slackers or Kay Kay album come out w/ a FLAC encoding -- but I completely understand that some people 1) don't feel like downloading 200-500 megs for 1 album and 2) FLAC [to the best of my knowledge] doesn't play on most mp3 players.

This is why we go with static URLs, that allow people on slower connections to use things like DownloadZilla or DTA (DownThemAll firefox plugin which I HIGHLY suggest) which allows for multiple "streams" of the file (if your ISP only lets you download at 300K per connection, but you can make 3 of these connections...you can setup DTA to use 3 threads, thus downloading at 300*3==900K per second).

This also means if you're weird and still on dial-up, if your brother picks up the phone while you're grabbing the latest Under the Influence, you can just resume the download when you sign back online.

All players should be able to handle 384kbps without issue, but transcoding down to a lower bitrate is supported in Amarok (linux) and Winamp (+ the pl_ipod plugin). This is great because if you have a bunch of CDs ripped as FLAC and want to toss them on your iPod, Winamp or Amarok will do all the work for you.

No idea if iTunes does transcoding.

Regardless, I've been thinking about ways to offer multiple bitrates per album, allowing the end user to pick the one they prefer. This of course relies on the ability of the band/label to provide us with multiple formats. Regardless, I really love how there are now multiple outlets for download codes, allowing the customer to pick what fits their budget the best.

I can't stress hard enough though that people really should think twice about DropCard only b/c I find they tend to be hella'pricey and their flash based interface doesn't really allow for a positive user experience.

--Reggie B

Guest kylewilliam

I'm a huge proponent of high quality audio, which is one of the reasons why I started VinylDownloads w/ KW. We usually inform labels that if they can, they shouldn't go any lower than 256kbps, and when it's applicable I'll suggest FLAC. I'd love to see the next Slackers or Kay Kay album come out w/ a FLAC encoding -- but I completely understand that some people 1) don't feel like downloading 200-500 megs for 1 album and 2) FLAC [to the best of my knowledge] doesn't play on most mp3 players.

This is why we go with static URLs, that allow people on slower connections to use things like DownloadZilla or DTA (DownThemAll firefox plugin which I HIGHLY suggest) which allows for multiple "streams" of the file (if your ISP only lets you download at 300K per connection, but you can make 3 of these connections...you can setup DTA to use 3 threads, thus downloading at 300*3==900K per second).

This also means if you're weird and still on dial-up, if your brother picks up the phone while you're grabbing the latest Under the Influence, you can just resume the download when you sign back online.

All players should be able to handle 384kbps without issue, but transcoding down to a lower bitrate is supported in Amarok (linux) and Winamp (+ the pl_ipod plugin). This is great because if you have a bunch of CDs ripped as FLAC and want to toss them on your iPod, Winamp or Amarok will do all the work for you.

No idea if iTunes does transcoding.

Regardless, I've been thinking about ways to offer multiple bitrates per album, allowing the end user to pick the one they prefer. This of course relies on the ability of the band/label to provide us with multiple formats. Regardless, I really love how there are now multiple outlets for download codes, allowing the customer to pick what fits their budget the best.

I can't stress hard enough though that people really should think twice about DropCard only b/c I find they tend to be hella'pricey and their flash based interface doesn't really allow for a positive user experience.

--Reggie B

what he said,

vinyldownloads y'all!

ok...so I'm going through my recent No Idea purchases...and it seems I've lost my #1 Reason to Move to Gainesville code...

Var, any chance I could get another one...? :o)_)

(I'll settle for just the Cutman song mp3 though)

For you, I can only offer two unopened packets of pepper and a half-used bottle of catsup.

ok...so I'm going through my recent No Idea purchases...and it seems I've lost my #1 Reason to Move to Gainesville code...

Var, any chance I could get another one...? :o)_)

(I'll settle for just the Cutman song mp3 though)

For you, I can only offer two unopened packets of pepper and a half-used bottle of catsup.

throw in a packet of sugar and I'll take it!

(thanks again Var!)