Chris Wollard & The Ship Thieves

Yeah, new DRAFT stuff...will this be a whole new LP or 7"?

The Wollard LP is pretty good as it sounds like nothing he´s done before...I hope he will record more with the Ship Thieves!

-- DRAFT... who knows? We'll find out later on. I can never tell.

-- Thieves... seems like Chris has enough songs to work on to make another LP, if they all fall into place. Very early stages. I think the band is getting together to work them out a bit more, trade demos, etc. They don't all live here.

-- I am considering doing some of the "real" Wollards on 180, just because enough people have dripped spittle on the subject.

would definitely buy.

The Wollard LP is pretty good as it sounds like nothing he´s done before...I hope he will record more with the Ship Thieves!

-- Thieves... seems like Chris has enough songs to work on to make another LP, if they all fall into place. Very early stages. I think the band is getting together to work them out a bit more, trade demos, etc. They don't all live here.

-- I am considering doing some of the "real" Wollards on 180, just because enough people have dripped spittle on the subject.

NICE!

would definitely buy.

Same here.

though I lucked out and snagged a Fest Press of it...I'd still buy a 180g pressing of this as well

Since it was mentioned...

CHRIS WOLLARD & The Ship Thieves "S/T" LP/CD (NIR-247)

Out FEBRUARY 17th, 2009!

We love Wollard. That’s a given, right? Well, that said, Chris defies expectations by turning in an album of varied songs, ranging from rockers to acoustic gems, to sleepy soundtracks for an all-night drive. In amongst the traditional sounds are tasteful flourishes and touches that you notice more each time you give it a spin. Not only that, but we went all-out on the fancy packaging this time around:

CD: Elegant 8-panel fold-out Digipack. Will not clean your toilet, but might do the windows if you tip.

LP: Elegant jacket + huge 2-sided, full-color, six-panel, fold-out insert (11” x 33”). Colored vinyl. Download coupon. May or may not come over and do your laundry for a slice of your pizza.

From ALTERNATIVE PRESS, 4 out of 5 stars:

“These days, there are as many country-rocking singer / songwriters as there are baristas in LA with head shots. So Chris Wollard’s solo debut, & The Ship Thieves, isn’t going to grab anyone by the lapels like Andy Dick on a bender; its charm is a longer game. Wollard’s moody, drawling croon wins your confidence slowly with each successive encounter. Though largely driven by folksy, acoustic strumming, Wollard does tap the electricity of his day jobs (HOT WATER MUSIC & THE DRAFT) for the ringing power-pop opener “No Exception” and “All The Things You Know.” Songs like these contribute to the [album’s] steady momentum, as Wollard mixes it up without muddying the disc’s reflective tone. This attitude is epitomized by the jangly album highlight “Oh Whatever” with its self-indicting chorus. The arrangements are prim without being austere, placing Wollard’s diffident, shuffling vocals center stage. The album feels as breezy as it does wistful, and lingers like memories of summer vacation. (Chris Parker)

BAND MEMBERS:

CHRIS WOLLARD (electric and acoustic guitar, vocals, bass, wurlitzer, organ, pots and pans, floor drum): A constant fixture at No Idea for the last fourteen years and counting. HOT WATER MUSIC, THE DRAFT, THE BLACKTOP CADENCE, RUMBLESEAT... Damn, it’s a huge body of work by any standard.

ADDISON BURNS (guitar, back-up vocals, pots and pans, floor drum, baritone guitar): Longtime Gainesville resident, transplanted from South Florida. He is in THE ENABLERS now and was in QUIT way back when. He runs Crescendo Sound Studios.

BEN LOVETT (rhodes, wurlitzer, keys, noise effects, glockenspiel, slide guitar, percussion): Previously recorded, produced, and played a mess of instruments on HEAVENS, a side project of Matt Skiba (Alkaline Trio).

DERRON NUHFER (bass): He runs Crescendo Sound Studios and Sarlacc Mastering, bass in CUTMAN, previous bands: GUNMOLL and LESS THAN JAKE.

GEORGE REBELO (drums): drummer in HOT WATER MUSIC, DRAFT, THE BLACKTOP CADENCE, HAWKS AND DOVES...

TRACK LISTING:

1. No Exception

2. Reason in My Rhyme

3. The Same to You

4. In the Middle of the Sea

5. Up to the Moon

6. All the Things You Know

7. Oh, Whatever

8. You Always Leave

9. The High Water

10. Hey B

CHRIS WOLLARD & The Ship Thieves live at THE FEST 7 ("No Exception")!

http://www.myspace.com/shipthieves