Think Fast Records will STOP making cd's by mid 09

Hardcore label Think Fast! Records have announced that starting mid-2009, they will stop producing CD releases altogether and focus on digital and vinyl releases only. They explained:

Think Fast! Records is here to tell you, that the music technology that we know as CDs is, in 2009, borderline obsolete. [...] Releases in mid-2009 and onward will be available on vinyl and digital download formats only, with an instant free digital download with all vinyl purchases.

With this shift in the industry, we were tossing around the idea of turning into a "digital-only label". While we admire anyone who was forward-thinking enough to do just that, we also feel that it is very important to the artists we work with and the people who listen to these bands to not lose sight of the importance of holding a physical copy of a record in our hands. The artwork, lyrics, and substance of the physical product is essential.

The label has previously released albums from The Distance, Between the Wars, Have Heart, Ambitions, Far from Finished, Smartbomb, Wait in Vain and No Harm Done.

i don't think this is a good idea.

i know invest for cd is harder to get the first invest because over half of dowload are illegal and nobody care when cd out.

i think stop making cd is decrease chance to contact the other country fan where download and vintl are hard way to get in touch for them....

I haven't put out a CD release since 2006. The only CD I've even pressed since then was included with a 10" and not sold by itself. That being said I think I am doing a 12"+CD/2xCD release this summer. In five years maybe people will be hunting down CD variants.

I have been doing it for 5 years already.

ps Any label that goes ALL DIGITAL, I am done buying from.

That being said I think I am doing a 12"+CD/2xCD release this summer.

How does that work? Half of the music on the LP half on the single CD? Then the 2xCD has half on each?

Nah the LP would have the entire thing and would come with a CD copy. The 2xCD version would come with a bonus disc of an earlier

EP (that was on vinyl and ALSO included a CD copy of it, but never came out as an individual CD release). This could give people who don't buy records the chance to get the earlier EP that was never available on CD at the same time. If that makes any sense.