VC Collector fo the month, Scott Heisel

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin
I'm a big dude with a beard. Or do you have to be useful to Virgil to get picked? I'm down for giving head if he's wanting...

As much as I appreciate the offer, I think sexual favors are not necessary. It is tough because pretty much everyone on the board could be our collector of the month. You don't have to be useful to me, but so far the people who have been picked have been really rad. That isn't meant to suggest everyone else isn't rad. It is a tough duty picking the collector of the month and I don't ever see it getting easy.

It's pretty tacky and silly to be begging to be the next collector of the month. I'd say the people that have so far been selected aren't taking it very seriously. Not that I wasn't flattered to be asked, it was great. But Virgil's got to have a pretty good reason to recognize you in a crowd if you're going to be picked. Both Scott and I are reasonably well-known people within the indie / punk / whatever scene because we've been heavily involved in it for a long time in some way. The others have been people that have had good dealings with Virgil (from what he has said before on this matter). I'm assuming most of those clamoring to be COTM are young. My advice is to just relax and your time will come.

Guest conoley
It's pretty tacky and silly to be begging to be the next collector of the month. I'd say the people that have so far been selected aren't taking it very seriously. Not that I wasn't flattered to be asked, it was great. But Virgil's got to have a pretty good reason to recognize you in a crowd if you're going to be picked. Both Scott and I are reasonably well-known people within the indie / punk / whatever scene because we've been heavily involved in it for a long time in some way. The others have been people that have had good dealings with Virgil (from what he has said before on this matter). I'm assuming most of those clamoring to be COTM are young. My advice is to just relax and your time will come.

Dude, I've been doing music journalism for the last seven years on national scale in Canada. I have been collecting vinyl for about four years. I like to assume I got COTM for those reasons rather than helping Virgil out on this board.

Wow. Seriously dude, I'm pretty sure most of those people were joking. Sure, they'd like to be the collector of the month, but they're not seriously on their knees begging Virgil for the privilege. They're talking about the relationship with being COTM with having a beard for christsake. How is any of that meant to be taken literally and to be scolded for?

I was just making a point. This isn't the first time this has happened. Every time this subject comes up there are at least two people who start up with the "how do I get to be COTM" posts. That's not to mention the emails and personal messages I've gotten from people asking me what they can do and if I can help them get to be COTM. Like I have anything to do with it or whatever. I just think that's tacky, and you obviously don't. Good for you. You're better than me.

I was just making a point. This isn't the first time this has happened. Every time this subject comes up there are at least two people who start up with the "how do I get to be COTM" posts. That's not to mention the emails and personal messages I've gotten from people asking me what they can do and if I can help them get to be COTM. Like I have anything to do with it or whatever. I just think that's tacky, and you obviously don't. Good for you. You're better than me.

Fair enough, if people have actually sent you messages asking how to be the VC collector of the month, then yes, that is pretty tacky. Also, to my knowledge, I haven't read the other threads that you're mentioning. However, since your post was in this thread, I had to base my response on what was said in this thread and how you responded. So while I feel that begging to be the COTM is tacky, I simply saw no examples of anyone doing that in this thread and had no idea what the basis of your post was.

That makes more sense now. No argument here.

Most of the questions in the COTM feature have their own thread anyways. There's even been a thread where people posted pictures of their collections. I'm not knocking the feature at all but when I read a new one, it usually just feels like a recap of what I've read in various threads. So hopefully nobody feels too slighted if they don't get picked since they can post the same info in the threads. Just my two cents.

ScriptedRain: you've missed my point entirely. I never said I deserved it because of some sort of notoriety, I was just pointing out that Virgil knows who me and Scott and Connelly are because we are higher profile than your average VC poster. We've been around in some form of another and are all semi-well-known music writers. When you've got a couple labels to run and all the other shit Virgil does, it's easier to do features on people who are obvious and easy. As he gets to know other people on this site they will naturally get picked. Distorting my point to try to say that I'm flaunting my own ridiculously low-level notoriety is a cheap shot. I'm an extremely humble person. Just look at my Karma points. That says it all.