graphic novel vs trade paperback

robotnerd

things that were originally published as single issues and are then collected are called "trade paperbacks" or "single volume collections."

things that are written and published as one cohesive book from the get go are "graphic novels."

both can easily fall under the umbrella of "comics."

examples:

watchmen is a trade paperback, or a single collection.

blankets is a graphic novel.

sorry, not really a big deal, just venting a tiny pet peeve of mine.

the easiest thing is to just call it all comics.

i get pissed when people try telling me a trade is a "graphic novel". i'm a nerd, i know, but trade is what they had been called long before comics started to go mainstream, yet douchebags don't like saying comic books.

i had a hipster one time try to tell me that watchmen the "graphic novel" is better than watchmen the comic because it was more graphic and mature. i flipped out on him, told him for 15 minutes how big of a fucktard he was and i still laugh when i see him.

theres a logical problem with "trade paperback" as a good deal of them are available as hardcover books. i mean personally i'd refer to the absolute sandman collection as a graphic novel.. despite the fact that its a collected work. as a graphic novel is just what it sounds like... a book told in pictures.

theres a logical problem with "trade paperback" as a good deal of them are available as hardcover books. i mean personally i'd refer to the absolute sandman collection as a graphic novel.. despite the fact that its a collected work. as a graphic novel is just what it sounds like... a book told in pictures.

i agree, obviously a trade paperback can't be hardcover, that's where "single volume" or "collected edition" comes in.

But, Watchmen was written as on single cohesive work spread out over 12 chapters (12, right?). It's not like World War Hulk where it's one story arch in an overlaying piece.

dante, if it was a story told in 12 issues. even though it's one cohesive story line, it still is a trade paperback. Usually long storylines such as the Watchmen are written after a storyline is made. Giving th writer time to figure out how to space the story over a certain amount of comics. basically when the 1st few issues came out, the story hadn't been fully completed. Hence why the WATCHMEN was printed as a mini-series rather than a whole graaphic novel.

in book world though.. trade paperback just means the way the book was bound..hence why trade paperbacks are usually cheaper since it's just glue and paper,a not stitch binding,etc.. that come along with Hard Covers.

which is totally different than it's meaning in the comic reference..

Watchmen is a COMIC BOOK

Duh city.

widely available in a COLLECTED trade paperback edition

You're quibbling. It is a single piece of work that was originally serialized. Thousands of novels were originally serialized before they were released as hardcover or mass market paperback editions. So what.

Someday everyone dies. When you die you will be in the midst of a vast white expanse with only a computer in it. You will walk up to the computer, and on this computer will be this thread. Some people will look at it, and wonder why people would choose to waste their lives discussing such trivial things. Other people will be you, and you will be severely disappointed with your life choices.

Someday everyone dies. When you die you will be in the midst of a vast white expanse with only a computer in it. You will walk up to the computer, and on this computer will be this thread. Some people will look at it, and wonder why people would choose to waste their lives discussing such trivial things. Other people will be you, and you will be severely disappointed with your life choices.

Until you hit this post...and then your whole life is validated.

[image]