Warning: You're All Going to Jail!

Guest smccown13

Ah I just got a warning from AVG to buy the full version or my antivirus will stop working. They found out I was using a pirated copy. I know my isp has something to do with this. I also know nothing about this kind of stuff.

Guest smccown13
See this is why all my "shared" folders are on a completely different drive than where the real juice is.

Also here we go again!

So you can smash the evidence when "they" come to your door?

If you're behind your own router/firewall (not the one provided, a separate one) they shouldn't be able to get to your computer.

This, although I'm sure they could be using port sniffers so change your open ports to high numbers (or non standard port numbers) and password the hell out of the user accounts on the computers.

If you're behind your own router/firewall (not the one provided, a separate one) they shouldn't be able to get to your computer.

This, although I'm sure they could be using port sniffers so change your open ports to high numbers (or non standard port numbers) and password the hell out of the user accounts on the computers.

Sure but I'm just talking about people who are downloading, not hosting. If you're hosting there's other issues anyways.

Sure but I'm just talking about people who are downloading, not hosting. If you're hosting there's other issues anyways.

When you download stuff through bittorrent or soulseek, etc you still need open ports to make the connections and download the stuff. most have standard port numbers but they all have the ability to have you set it. For the router config, you just need to assign a port range that goes to your computer and set all the programs on the computer to point to a number in that range.

I agree though, they may be "scanning" the network, but they won't do anything that requires anything other than a simple search. That could start to step on some privacy laws.

When you download stuff through bittorrent or soulseek, etc you still need open ports to make the connections and download the stuff. most have standard port numbers but they all have the ability to have you set it. For the router config, you just need to assign a port range that goes to your computer and set all the programs on the computer to point to a number in that range.

I agree though, they may be "scanning" the network, but they won't do anything that requires anything other than a simple search. That could start to step on some privacy laws.

Oh good point. You could also run everything over an SSL connection.

Oh good point. You could also run everything over an SSL connection.

That would also be ideal. They would see nothing but incoming garbage hehehe

I wonder if I'll get in trouble for downloading records I got promos of but couldn't get the stupid fucking copy protection to play on my stereo so i DL'd them to review. hm....

I think no. I'm not 100% but I'd imagine if you legitimately own it in a digital copy you can have other digital copies. But I'm no fucking lawyer.

I wonder if I'll get in trouble for downloading records I got promos of but couldn't get the stupid fucking copy protection to play on my stereo so i DL'd them to review. hm....

I think no. I'm not 100% but I'd imagine if you legitimately own it in a digital copy you can have other digital copies. But I'm no fucking lawyer.

feasibly you can't even have a copy of your own shit on another computer in your house.. they've tried to go to court with it, but it wont hold up...haha...