Hip Hop Vinyl = Low Quality?

I have a feeling a wave of "Well that's what hip hop is" jokes coming on, but for real, every hip hop record I own has super thin jackets, no gatefold, and always thin black vinyl. What's up with that? Seriously though. The only exception I can think of is the last Kanye record. Even his first two records are low quality and even sound kind of shitty.

i blame this on DJ singles. Most DJs don't want a full album, they want the hit and they want variations of the hit. so when it comes to pressing the real album, they don't put a lot of effort into it, because most of the demand is coming from DJs who just want the single to mix and scratch.

the local shop near me has TONS of used hip-hop almost ALL of it is promo and DJ single. in fact i picked up a copy of the "greatest hits" eminem album and they found all but 3 of the tracks on 12" single for $1 each.

although, my copy of ice Cube's Death Certificate is 2xLP 180gram, and my 12" single of Gone Till November has a very HQ jacket. but i do agree on most hip-hop vinyl that the quality is lacking.

i blame this on DJ singles. Most DJs don't want a full album, they want the hit and they want variations of the hit. so when it comes to pressing the real album, they don't put a lot of effort into it, because most of the demand is coming from DJs who just want the single to mix and scratch.

I was going to say this but I couldn't do so and refrain some taking jabs at the general state of hip-hop.

a guy that i bought a record from off ebay used 2 hip hop, rap, or whatever you want to call it records instead of a piece of cardboard as mailer inserts. he sandwiched the record i bought in between them. granted they were DJ promo singles but even so, it shows that he would rather give them away for free and use them as mailer inserts rather than sell them on ebay or in his brick & mortar store.

most of my records are hip-hop singles, promos.. they are all decent quality but not as good as rock/punk records..

my 2 Pac - Me Against The World is super thin, though. I always thought that was odd..

most of the full length albums are gatefold with 4 records which sucks cuz everything seems stuffed in there..

i just got Aesop Rock's none shall pass double lp in the mail today and its nowhere near as cool as i would have hoped. Especially with Jeremy Fish doing the art. double lp, non gatefold, one sided insert, blank white sleeves. great record though, but could have been so much better package wise.