Record store day bullshit drama

So, two locals stores didn't have most of the stuff I wanted because it wasn't allocated to them. The other store I drove to in shit weather informed me they had boycotted the entire event because non-independent stores were allowed to take part. Seriously, this is the kind of dumb shit that turns people off. There's no reason for all the politics and drama. If this is what it's come to, record stores deserve to go out of business.

they have 3 of those sonic youth 7inches at the store i was just at...i got one and shoulda got more for kids on here

ill go back tomorrow if anyone wants one and see if there are any left

So, two locals stores didn't have most of the stuff I wanted because it wasn't allocated to them. The other store I drove to in shit weather informed me they had boycotted the entire event because non-independent stores were allowed to take part. Seriously, this is the kind of dumb shit that turns people off. There's no reason for all the politics and drama. If this is what it's come to, record stores deserve to go out of business.

wow thats a load of bullshit. I guess they dont like free money.

Guest adam526

wow thats a load of bullshit. I guess they dont like free money.

Wasn't up to most stores. I called a small place near by and they responded 'they didnt fucking send us anything'

Like I said in another thread. Here in Gainesville there is a place called Hear Again. They don't even carry new music. It is just a used CD joint with like 100 used LPs (mostly like John Denver and the Osmonds). It was on the RSD website. I called them, and they weren't getting anything. I don't understand what the criteria for being involved are, but this place shouldn't be involved.

The only other place listed in Gville is Tonevendor, and I got a record from them, but they aren't a store. They are just an online shop, so I had to buy it off their website, then go pick it up from their office. As happy as I was to get the Tom Waits record, Tonevendor is NOT a record SHOP.

Basically, any record store can be added to the list of stores that are involved. Being "involved" doesn't mean carrying the releases. You have to order those through distributors. Who those were, I have no idea. Last year they were available through any one stop type distributor. That didn't seem to be the case this year.

One store in San Antonio that I went to, The Rock Box, was listed on the RSD website but carried ZERO vinyl. All they had was cd's and dvd's. I could have called them I guess, but still, I thought it was lame. Another one on the list closed up shop last year and doesn't exist anymore. Thought that was lame too.

Guest drahtuos

there wasn't any bullshit at or involving any of the stores i went to, but all over slc there was this bullshit marathon runner thing going on and almost all of the streets were blocked off by the cops, made it really difficult to get to breakfast and the record stores my friend and i were trying to get to. we were an hour off schedule and i missed out on a number of exclusives i was hoping to get.

there wasn't any bullshit at or involving any of the stores i went to, but all over slc there was this bullshit marathon runner thing going on and almost all of the streets were blocked off by the cops, made it really difficult to get to breakfast and the record stores my friend and i were trying to get to. we were an hour off schedule and i missed out on a number of exclusives i was hoping to get.

I totally forgot about the marathon too. I ended up not being able to make it to Slowtrain before I had to go to work, so that was pretty shitty.

Guest drahtuos

seriously fuck the cops and the marathon runners, i got all uppity at a cop when i asked him how the fuck i was supposed to get anywhere and he told me the i-15.

it's shit like this that makes my roommate pissed. greedy fucker. my pal waited in line for a while just to get one of these and didn't. this fuck got 2 copies just to flip. i personally could care less about slayer, but my pal was heartbroken. guess he'll have to break down and buy it this way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLAYER-Ultra-RARE-7-inch-Psychopathy-Red-MINT-SEALED_W0QQitemZ280335639728QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item280335639728&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

they have 3 of those sonic youth 7inches at the store i was just at...i got one and shoulda got more for kids on here

ill go back tomorrow if anyone wants one and see if there are any left

If you're going there and pick up a Beck/Sonic Youth I'll take it. Also, please see if they have this: The Breeders--Fate to Fatal EP [image]

I will +1 you forever if you can get either of these.

So is it the fault of the record stores not ordering the right shit or the distributors fucking stores over? I had an awesome time today, and even got free donuts from one store.

Well, if the store didn't order any records they wouldn't have received them. If stores were under the impression that being added to the list would get the records "sent to them", they were just ignorant.

It is pretty disheartening that some of these labels, who are trying to do something cool, are essentially also guaranteeing that a few people are just going to get rich on eBay.

It is pretty cynical, but one could take the opinion that all these labels did was make a product that people are going to buy for a nominal price at a record store and then simply put up on eBay to make a huge profit.

That said, I am slightly bitter that none of the exclusives were available around here.

I talked with the guy that runs the local record store here and he mentioned that the reason he didn't get certain things was that some labels wanted him to join their coalition in order to get it. He said it cost something $150 to join one of these coalitions and that the money he'd get from selling those records would barely cover that, if it did at all. Needless to say, I couldn't hold it against him for not having the Jay Reatard/Sonic Youth split.

Yeah, one store here had all sorts of Record Store Day posters and shit up but when I went in they didn't have shit. They had a small table out with some Hank Williams III records and that was it.

Another store had some but not all. Also, apparently Stevo tried to carry as much as he could but he couldn't get anyone to respond about the Epitaph/Anti- shit, so he couldn't get it. Too bad