News on that massive vinyl collection on eBay

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08057/860565-100.stm?cmpid=news.xml

Record Rama owner waiting for new offer

By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Paul Mawhinney, whose road to retirement seemed to be paved last Thursday, is now playing the waiting game.

The owner of Record Rama has closed his 41-year-old Ross store and is hoping for offers from two potential out-of-town buyers who visited on Monday.

Mawhinney is hoping they'll come in with an offer on his warehouse of nearly three million LPs and CDs that the collector estimated to be worth nearly $50 million. On Friday night, he and agent J. Paul Henderson learned that the winning bid of $3,002,150 from "jopsoup" on eBay was a fraud, as were the other five bids.

Henderson said today they will not re-list the collection on eBay until after they hear from the new suitors.

It pisses me off that these bids were not sincere. The government should buy the collection and start a museum/library of American music.

they have one, its called the library of congress.

True, but this collection would make a stellar addition to, or at least a dedicated music branch of, the LOC.

I'm guessing he is only going to release the old stuff that is now in the public domain. I don't see how you could feel bad for this guy. It's not like he bought 3 million records on accident. If he was smart he would take the time to go through and sell the records that are worth a fortune and just kick the rest of the shit to the dollar bin. $1 x 2.5 million still sounds pretty good.