Fest 8

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many people actually attend The Fest? Anyone know what the numbers really are? Just kinda curious how many make the trip...

A few thousand tickets are sold (generally around 2500-3000, I believe), plus about 1000-1500 comp tickets to band members, sponsors, press, etc., as well as a few hundred crusties/train hoppers/bike punks who make the trip down but don't buy a wristband, instead just annoying the fuck out of everyone for the weekend. So in total, it's about 5000 or so people.

Oh, I'd like to add, the "Boned by Fest" award goes to everyone who had to play the Rion Ballroom. The place was over a mile from the Fest Hotel and almost two miles from venues like Common Grounds. I was amazed at the turn out for the Swellers show but for a place that looked like it could hold over 800 people, I'd be stunned if there were 100 there.

Oh, I'd like to add, the "Boned by Fest" award goes to everyone who had to play the Rion Ballroom. The place was over a mile from the Fest Hotel and almost two miles from venues like Common Grounds. I was amazed at the turn out for the Swellers show but for a place that looked like it could hold over 800 people, I'd be stunned if there were 100 there.

the hotel i was at was close to there. lucky for us it was across the street from the Steak and Shake and a liquor store with 10 dollar bottles of admiral nelson.

whoever said the kickstand is far (a long walk) from the other venues is so FOS.. that was a mere few minutes from common ground.

Too bad there was such a long line when i went to go see ErIC and OP :(

Should have come into Cam's Cove and watched 1994! They were amazing.

i have a video of one of their songs...they were really good. i just got their second record and stoked to hear it tonight!

the hotel i was at was close to there. lucky for us it was across the street from the Steak and Shake and a liquor store with 10 dollar bottles of admiral nelson.

Were you at Rush Lake Motel and Animal Preserve? That place is okay. This is the first year I didn't hit Steak and Shake.

So how many people actually attend The Fest? Anyone know what the numbers really are? Just kinda curious how many make the trip...

A few thousand tickets are sold (generally around 2500-3000, I believe), plus about 1000-1500 comp tickets to band members, sponsors, press, etc., as well as a few hundred crusties/train hoppers/bike punks who make the trip down but don't buy a wristband, instead just annoying the fuck out of everyone for the weekend. So in total, it's about 5000 or so people.

That line about the crusties is hilarious/true. I can't count the times some unkempt kid asked me for spare change over the weekend. My reply was always something along the lines of, "I'm in a goddamn wheelchair, how much money do you think I have?"

This was my third Fest and the first time I actually got "Fest Aids." I have the worst flu I've ever had. I've missed two days of work already but I think tomorrow I'll be ready to suck it up and go.

Had a blast this weekend, though. Only saw about 15 bands but they were all great. Totally bummed I missed Jonesin's last show. Snuff fucking killed it. So did Shark Pants.

It was great meeting people from here. I was out of it Thursday at Pre-Fest so if I met you then and seemed short, sorry, I was just about ready to pass out and die.

If you saw the idiot running around in a corn on the cob costume, that was me. You might have also mistaken me for a banana.

Good times.

I feel like every year they add some more satellite venues and that ups the over all tickets sold. Unfortunately, you don't have 5,000 people trying to get into 10 clubs. You have 4,000 people trying to get into 3, and that kinds screws over those locations.

Yeah, I kinda wish the organizers had kept their promise of cutting down the number of bands performing (as opposed to doing the exact opposite). I don't know that it would have solved the line problem, but it couldn't have hurt. The logistics are unfair to a lot of the smaller bands playing and to all the attendees for having to wait in line for so fucking long. The fact is, there weren't enough slots in The Venue for how many semi-popular bands were booked and several of the bands playing the main stage (The Bomb, The Methadones, Chris Wollard) should've been playing smaller venues.

I didn't even bother trying to get into Common Grounds this year. Easily the worst venue involved with The Fest.

Common Grounds is always the worst venue involved with the Fest. In five years of Festing, I've never seen it run efficiently. Tony's told me in the past that they're pretty difficult to work with, but they need the space so they can't not involve the club.

Yup. Plus the bartenders are always rude. And they're the ONLY venue that doesn't allow bags. That $5 dollar bag check is a load of horseshit.

We were at that hotel! The days inn right? We had steak and shake two of the nights. ridiculous drunk food.

We were at that hotel! The days inn right? We had steak and shake two of the nights. ridiculous drunk food.

yep the days inn!!! im just angry they didn't want to open the pool that weekend. i was hoping to get a pool party started filled with rum, tropic shirts, and pirate eye patches. maybe a parrot if it was going to survive the weekend.

Common Grounds is seriously a horrible venue. Other than it's size and relative proximity to other venues there is nothing I like about it. I remember the first year I went, I had a buddy with a press pass (line jump) and he tried to skirt the line at Common Grounds. He got to the front and the guy said they were at capacity. He asked if it was cool if he waited, the doorman said no, if he wanted he could go back and sit in line or come back when they weren't at capacity and he could let him it. Mind you the line was out past 5 star by this point.

They really just do whatever they want there.

Common Grounds is seriously a horrible venue. Other than it's size and relative proximity to other venues there is nothing I like about it. I remember the first year I went, I had a buddy with a press pass (line jump) and he tried to skirt the line at Common Grounds. He got to the front and the guy said they were at capacity. He asked if it was cool if he waited, the doorman said no, if he wanted he could go back and sit in line or come back when they weren't at capacity and he could let him it. Mind you the line was out past 5 star by this point.

i like the venue but a lot of the people that work there aren't cool at all.

i saw them do this to someone with a photopass and all that, then he let a bunch of people he knew in or something, and then turned down another guy with passes and stuff

its really dumb how selective they are

and they were jerks any time i had to talk to them too

Yeah, I shouldn't be so general. It has a decent stage and sound set up, and some decent video games. The personal pisses me off and for some reason it always seems really hard to breath in there. I was in there Saturday for Measure[sa] and Cheap Girls and I had to step out because it was hard to breath.

Definitely. My friends and I never wouldn't have found it if we didn't run into some drunk guy who went to UF ten years ago on the corner of 13th and Union and he knew exactly where to go. It was really lucky, even though he would say "all right it's just a left up here, through the lawn and one more block and we're there!" like 16 times. But at least we got there.

What was that at the end of The Swellers' set? Seemed kinda rock starish.

Yeah, I shouldn't be so general. It has a decent stage and sound set up, and some decent video games. The personal pisses me off and for some reason it always seems really hard to breath in there. I was in there Saturday for Measure[sa] and Cheap Girls and I had to step out because it was hard to breath.

i kept having dreams that the wall behind the bar was no longer there and people outside can see/hear the bands, drink some beers, eat some pizza, and have a breeze air that place out.

Definitely. My friends and I never wouldn't have found it if we didn't run into some drunk guy who went to UF ten years ago on the corner of 13th and Union and he knew exactly where to go. It was really lucky, even though he would say "all right it's just a left up here, through the lawn and one more block and we're there!" like 16 times. But at least we got there.

Not sure what you're talking about, you mean the part where it was just Nick and Jon?

Not sure what you're talking about, you mean the part where it was just Nick and Jon?

Yeah, it just seemed kinda self-indulgent to me.