xbox 360 question - red ring of death

So, I've been offered an Xbox360 for free, with the caveat that it's no longer under warranty and is likely to overheat and give me the red ring o' at any time.

I've heard there are fixes online, and ways to prevent it. As my apartment is hot as shit and I've got a kitty whose hair is everywhere all the time oh my god holy shit, has anybody used any methods to either prevent or repair such a condition with any success?

I hear tell from the natives that there is a method that involves tearing the whole thing apart and then doing a bunch of goddamn voodoo. I'm not the most terribly technical person in the world, but it's worth a shot...

Guest kevinb
1. take it its free.

2. it will probably red ring, there are temporary fixes, but they will only buy you one or two hours of playing time for only a couple times max

3. intercoolers cause more damage than good:

[image]

don't they run off of the 360 and just make it work twice as hard ?

1. take it its free.

2. it will probably red ring, there are temporary fixes, but they will only buy you one or two hours of playing time for only a couple times max

3. intercoolers cause more damage than good:

[image]

don't they run off of the 360 and just make it work twice as hard ?

That fan is no more than a few volts so it won't be twice as bad.

Mine red ring'd about 3 weeks ago and I preformed the X-clamp mod and its been running strong ever since. You can check out a tutorial here: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

You don't have to buy their kit, I got my kit on amazon for 6 bucks, or just pick up the bolts and washers at a local hardware store and the thermal paste at an electronics store. It seems intimidating but I did it just following the directions with no problems, and I've never worked on electronics in my life.

Mine red ring'd about 3 weeks ago and I preformed the X-clamp mod and its been running strong ever since. You can check out a tutorial here: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

You don't have to buy their kit, I got my kit on amazon for 6 bucks, or just pick up the bolts and washers at a local hardware store and the thermal paste at an electronics store. It seems intimidating but I did it just following the directions with no problems, and I've never worked on electronics in my life.

Hey thanks! So I can play it until it fucks up and then fix it? Or would you recommend doing this first?

I was told it's out of warranty, but I may just call and try to find out myself.

Mine stopped reading discs. Microsoft wanted $130 for the repair. I left it on in a box for 8 straight days, it absolutely wouldn't red-ring. I bought a new Arcade instead of repairing. (The repair would've been warrantied for 3 months...)

I'm also too computer-stupid to replace the drive myself.

er... this may be too much for some of you to believe but just because you own an xbox doesn't mean it will red ring. i've been going strong far a couple years with mine now. its like a 1/3 odd maybe (which is shit for a console but i'd take those odds in the lottery).

advice:

don't buy an inter cooler or any 3rd party cooling

stand it up, more airflow

otherwise i wouldn't be too worried. if its gonna red ring it will probably happen whether you try and prevent it or not.