Details re: the Vinyl Collective Cooperative label

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin
Virgil, I think you should maybe set a limit to 1 share per person...

that is what I am leaning towards. I want to involve as many people as possible.

So there will be no way of knowing what bands/albums are possibilities before we sign up?

once we sign up then we decide? I think it could be hard to please 100 shareholders since the taste in music is so diverse on this board.

I love the idea of this, and will probably get involved however i would be kinda bummed if the records that were picked were like dashboard confessional or something else i had no interest in what so ever.

Wow, I am stoked that everyone is pumped about the idea. I had a few further thoughts:

1. a private forum vs posting things publicly - one concern I have about having everything posted on a private forum is that it excludes the people who might not have gotten the shares in time. I really don't want the cooperative label to create a perceived class system which would make non-shareholders feel out of the loop. I pride our message board and VC on including everyone in on what is going on. That said, there will have to be a private way to nominate and vote, but the discussions leading up to this could be talked about on our message board.

2. Multiple shares - I am also concerned that if people buy 2 to 4 shares, this will exclude even more people from being involved. My original thought was 100 shares and from the initial enthusiasm, I think those will go quick. If there were only 50 shareholders with multiple shares, it would exclude a lot of people.

thoughts?

Both good points. Any idea on when this might be rolling out?

sounds pretty rad to me.

what about shipping costs? would those be covered via orginal share price. sounds like they would be but if they lasted for 10+ releases then shipping cost might get pretty high.

would you ever be able to sell your share? let's say a year goes by and you don't spend as much time collecting vinyl anymore...could you sell it back to the coop(virgil) or put it up for auction(orginal cost ONLY on the forums?)

So there will be no way of knowing what bands/albums are possibilities before we sign up?

once we sign up then we decide? I think it could be hard to please 100 shareholders since the taste in music is so diverse on this board.

I love the idea of this, and will probably get involved however i would be kinda bummed if the records that were picked were like dashboard confessional or something else i had no interest in what so ever.

you would have 1/100 say in what would get pressed.

i could see a group of 15-20 people getting together to try to influence releases.

underground politcal parties if you will

Wow, I am stoked that everyone is pumped about the idea. I had a few further thoughts:

1. a private forum vs posting things publicly - one concern I have about having everything posted on a private forum is that it excludes the people who might not have gotten the shares in time. I really don't want the cooperative label to create a perceived class system which would make non-shareholders feel out of the loop. I pride our message board and VC on including everyone in on what is going on. That said, there will have to be a private way to nominate and vote, but the discussions leading up to this could be talked about on our message board.

2. Multiple shares - I am also concerned that if people buy 2 to 4 shares, this will exclude even more people from being involved. My original thought was 100 shares and from the initial enthusiasm, I think those will go quick. If there were only 50 shareholders with multiple shares, it would exclude a lot of people.

thoughts?

I am all for 1 share per person, spread the love around!

you would have 1/100 say in what would get pressed.

i could see a group of 15-20 people getting together to try to influence releases.

I've already got some like-minded individuals in mind for my party.... 8-)

This won't happen -- Virgil already said he'll have 10 "delegates" out of the 100 shareholders who will each be in charge of representing nine other people, and then those 10 will be the ones who vote.

Wow, what an awesome project this will be. I'm definitely in if I can grab a share. I mean, isn't that why god made credit cards?

Also, I support the one person one share idea.

agreed...also, any timeline of when shares will be available(for sale)...one week, one month....i need to save my pennies so a time line would be a help!!....i really wanna be part of this

underground political parties if you will

This won't happen -- Virgil already said he'll have 10 "delegates" out of the 100 shareholders who will each be in charge of representing nine other people, and then those 10 will be the ones who vote.

I was under the impression that the 10 delegates were in addition to the 100 shareholders...?

A couple thoughts:

Very excited about this, I think its a great idea.

Absolutely one person per share. Maybe should go up to 200 shares, and just press 1100 records or something.

If a release doesn't generate enough funds to drive a further release could shareholders give more money to keep things moving? Kind of like an NPR fund-raiser or something... I see lots of problems with this idea already (what if not all shareholders want to throw in more cash, and if only some people do, does everyone see the benefit/get a copy of the new release). But it seems the biggest hurdle would be if a release tanks and another release couldn't be pressed. How would we as shareholders help records continue to get pressed? I feel that 100 people that would buy into this would really want it to keep going. I think the "one bad release sucking up all the funds" is a problem a lot of small labels deal with, just from reading what folks on this board have to say.

Political parties forming among 100 people to rally for a particular release = maybe it should be pressed anyway. I don't see this as becoming a problem with the way Virgil's proposed things be set up, but even if it did that just means a bunch of people want to see something made. Doesn't really seem like a totally bad thing.

Guest scriptedrain

I was under the impression that the 10 delegates were in addition to the 100 shareholders...?

Yeah, there will be 100 shareholders and 10 board members, so 110 people in all. Each board member will represent 10 shareholders.

thoughts?

about the multiple shares i was wondering about my case: i hope they won't be available when we're in the dead of nite here.