Details re: the Vinyl Collective Cooperative label

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well remember too.. you wanna balance how much you like the record, with the likelyhood of it being able to move enough copies to recoup, so that the label can do another record.

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. I hope that people really get it into their heads that we can't press "boutique" style records that won't sell more than 300 copies otherwise this whole thing tanks.

im digging this idea but dont like your "electoral college" type system you're trying to do with each board member gets input/voting from 10 members. i think it should be 1 person/ 1 vote. Poll the 100 members then see whats the most popular releases from that. That way your vote counts(unlike our US electoral college system where your vote doesnt count).

Well I think that a lot of the titles I have in mind would sell if they were pressed, but I don't think many of the people here would vote for them.

Like what?

Off the top of my head:

Superdrag - Regretfully Yours

Superdrag - Head Trip In Every Key

Mew - Frengers

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

Burning Airlines - Mission Control

Burning Airlines - Identikit

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

The Dismemberment Plan - Change

Shiner - Lula Divinia

Shiner - The Egg

These Arms Are Snakes / Harkonen - Like A Virgin (split)

The Big Sleep - Sleep Forever

The Superdrag and Mew stuff would most likely be impossible since they were major-label releases, but I can still dream.

Like what?

Off the top of my head:

Superdrag - Regretfully Yours

Superdrag - Head Trip In Every Key

Mew - Frengers

Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

Shiner - Lula Divinia

Shiner - The Egg

These Arms Are Snakes / Harkonen - Like A Virgin (split)

The Big Sleep - Sleep Forever

The Superdrag and Mew stuff would most likely be impossible since they were major-label releases, but I can still dream.

Yeah, those releases would sell for sure.

Guest baseball
I doubt any of the stuff I'd like to see pressed will happen, but you know what? I'm okay with that because this is a cool idea that lets everyone be involved, and that's awesome.

I agree. I think some people are getting too caught up in the business side, not that that isn't important, but come on people, this is supposed to be for fun!

Let's not get all ultra serious and lose light of that fact. As far as I'm concerned, I'm paying $50-60 for my own entertainment and to do something I think is cool with this community.

If I get some records that I've wanted to see pressed out of it, then that's even better!

I agree that we should press good records but in order to keep this going we also have to think about the business side. It's not all fun and games when you're dealing with $5-10,000 of people's money.

Both sides of the equation need to be looked at in order to make sure this is not only fun but successful and something that we can keep going. I want to press great records but if the first couple flop then you've paid $60 for failure along with 99 other people.

Shiner - Lula Divinia

Shiner - The Egg

Yeah, I don't understand at all why DeSoto never pressed vinyl, especially for these bands. I bet they'd license those titles out, too. Doing Emergency & I is a surefire bet on selling through a pressing.

Guest Admin

If you're so concerned with Virgil's business practices, maybe you shouldn't sell your records through him.

I don't ask him too, he chooses to purchase my records from my distributor.

do you want me to stop selling your records? What is your problem with me? I don't get it.

Gilead Media vs. Vinyl Collective. This has got to end. There's no point getting involved in a message board battle. We're here to help each other out and this thread is about coming together to see great releases finally come out on vinyl. Virgil came up with an awesome idea that we're all obviously excited about.

Let's leave it at that and enjoy the excitement!

stuff i'd love to see within reason

they might be giants - apollo 18, john henry, or factory showroom

soul coughing - ruby vroom

cake - prolonging the magic

streetlight manifesto - any

dismemberment plan - emergency & I

atom and his package - s/t

suicide machines - destruction by definition, battle hymns