The Board has been good but...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin - How are those Meadowlarks? What are their appx. dimensions?

I demoed a pair of Meadowlarks but can't remember the model name. Might've been the Shearwaters. The sound was somewhat dull or muddy at semi-loud volumes, but great at low volume. How is the sound driven by tubes?

The dimensions, as stolen from a review online, are 7" W x 9 1/2" D x 36" H

I've been using them for around 5 years now so it's hard to remember what other speakers sounded like in comparison. I don't have any complaints. The bass isn't earthshaking due to the small speakers, but it never sounds over extended either.

There are a lot of reviews of them online if you ever have a few hours to kill.

Guest drahtuos

honestly my definition of a "true audiophile" is some fuck who has too much money to waste and are way too obsessed with sound quality to ever be satisfied. i would never consider myself an audiophile, i don't have the ear for it anyway. as for having a decent set up that sounds great i'm sure your regas and projects are awesome but a 1200 is just as good and for me it's prefered. i never discounted your prefered tables as being inferior to the table i choose to use, i only stated that at least i can listen to my 7"s at the push of a button rather than having to lift the platter. not arguing just stating a fact, sorry if that pissed you off.

Sorry bro. It's been a high-strung night!

It wasn't you, per se, that upset me, it's the fact that I've heard soooo many people complain about how you change speeds on a Rega, and I can't for the life of me, see what the big deal is. Are people that pressed for time that they can't take 15 seconds to lift the platter and move the belt? With everything else to consider when buying a turntable, I find it hard to comprehend why that's what people focus on...

it's cool man, i really have no qualms or wish to argue this turntable vs. that turntable. as long as you're happy with what you got it really shouldn't matter to anyone else. as for xxmartinxx's set up, you've shown me that some of you do have higher end set ups and that's cool, i still assume most on these boards don't though, considering you know.. this is a punx message board for the most part..

Is there a difference between a woman being "gay" and a woman being a "lesbian"? I've never understood the distinction.

No, I usually say "gay" because its shorter. Also because "lesbian" is a weird sounding word. Not that I can speak for the whole world, but for everyone that I know its just a matter of whichever word you feel like saying at that particular instant.

I actually prefer "dyke", and 99% of the dykes I know prefer "dyke" too.

Or "women in comfortable shoes".

My friend just calls herself a "anthrosexual" as she's attracted to humans.

A few of my friends have anointed themselves anthrosexual as well - what a perfect term! When it comes right down to it, I think we all are…

Time to play "Pink Triangle".

While they're making up words, they should come up with a new word for "a person who dislikes homosexuals" as the term "homophobe" has always annoyed me. The "phobe" denotes a "fear of" which isn't appropriate. There might be people afraid of gays like people are afraid of clowns, I just don't know any.

I'd suggest something ending is "ist". Like "sexist" or "racist"... but you know... for gays. "Gayist" or "homoist" ends up sounding like gayest and homoest. Maybe "orientist"... I dunno... that sounds like a person who doesn't something with teeth. You figure something out.

I have heard a lot of girls preferring dyke, and on Buffalo's Pride weekend last week or whenever it was, the parade was titled "the Dyke March", but none of the lesbians I know like that term. As a word without meaning, I think it's fairly ugly, but I don't know what their qualm is with it.

One of the only things I miss about living downtown. That parade is a good time, I always enjoyed the bears float and Marcellas always threw a damn good party on wheels. Plus we got to throw hot dogs at those fucking jesus nutbags.

"I like going to the dyke march

Because I like to be surrounded with women.

Marching naked ladies.

We recruit.

We recruit...

There's no one telling us where to stand or where to be.....

Resist, Shout it out.

Resist, Resist, Shout it out...

There's no one telling us where to stand or where to be,

We're just this huge strong mass of feminist fury.

Resist. Resist..... Feminist fury.

Feminist fury.

It was a lifelong dream I had as a child...

And it's actually come to pass in my adult life."

Dyke is a slang term for a lesbian with certain qualities. Originally it was a derogatory label for a masculine or butch woman, and this usage still exists. However, it has also been reappropriated as a positive term implying assertiveness and toughness, or simply as a neutral synonym for lesbian.

As is the term "queer". The distinctions however, between those who use the appropriations of derogatory terms and those who are offended by such usage are usually along political and class lines.

i.e. Assimilationists (those whose extent of political engagement is marriage "equality") and radical Queers (who look thru a wider socio-politcal lens, examining the inherent connections between racism, homophobia, classism, patriarchal ideologies, etc.)

A good article regarding Marriage Equality protests in Mass. that quickly touches on divisions in the LGBTQ communities: http://www.zmag.org/znet/viewArticle/2721