Iranian Election

was there much international pressure on the US for a recount of the 2000 election, or was that just the US pressuring itself? If there wasn't, I really don't think the US should pressure IRan at all which they haven't yet, which is good, but you know McCain said yesterday they pretty much should since "Iran is run by Muslim Extremists".

Iran wants to sue Twitter or some shit like that.

was there much international pressure on the US for a recount of the 2000 election, or was that just the US pressuring itself? If there wasn't, I really don't think the US should pressure IRan at all which they haven't yet, which is good, but you know McCain said yesterday they pretty much should since "Iran is run by Muslim Extremists".

Iran wants to sue Twitter or some shit like that.

Given the amount of protest in the streets of Tehran and other locales, I don't think the US needs to step in. Meaning it seems as though enough Iranian citizens know that their votes were for naught and that the election was a sham.

Now, do I think that simply protests and rioting in the streets will bring about swift change? Mmmmmhh…

oh I dont disagree that it looks fixed, im just saying, the Iranian people need to take care of this themselves without outside pressure.

I think that's next to impossible. How do you accurately figure out who won an election when the people counting the votes are part of a tyrant's regime? I'm pretty pissed that Obama is pussyfooting around this whole fiasco. So far Joe Biden seems to be the only prominent left winger to come out against it all. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for peace and the US not intervening and everything, but I think that if we don't do something now, we're going to have to do a whole lot more intervening later.

Here's an interesting article that details the protests and whatnot.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2009/jun/17/iran-uprising

oh I dont disagree that it looks fixed, im just saying, the Iranian people need to take care of this themselves without outside pressure.

This. I'm not happy with Barry at the moment but seeing McCain jump in front of the camera to support US intervention and condemnation of the election made me so happy dude isn't president. I'm happy adults are in charge, the last thing we need is Iran using American intervention as proof of us trying to control their country.

This. I'm not happy with Barry at the moment but seeing McCain jump in front of the camera to support US intervention and condemnation of the election made me so happy dude isn't president. I'm happy adults are in charge, the last thing we need is Iran using American intervention as proof of us trying to control their country.

Especially if they're developing nuclear weapons. I'm not one to be all reactionary, but Ahmadenijad's explanation that the nuclear technology is for power supply just seems false. Dude is a total snake in the grass.

all that went through my head when he spoke yesterday morning was "holy shit, this dickwad almost became our president..."

all that went through my head when he spoke yesterday morning was "holy shit, this dickwad almost became our president..."

I agree. I don't think what occurred in Iran is right but for us to step in and be like, "This is some bullshit, let America fix it" would only further damage our image in the middle east. We should offer our support and maybe even offer to help fund or aid in a redo of the election but to straight up say the election is bullshit and invalid wouldn't help...not to mention it would conjure up images of the US election in 2000.

was there much international pressure on the US for a recount of the 2000 election, or was that just the US pressuring itself? If there wasn't, I really don't think the US should pressure IRan at all which they haven't yet, which is good

To compare US and Iranian politics is a ludicrous concept. Aside from the president, Iran is run by the Supreme Leader (who adamantly supports Ahmadinejad), and the supreme leader picks a guardian council of 12 people. Each candidate has to be approved by this council before they can even be on the ballot. Also, I believe that the guardian council is in charge of the election.

Also, in our country we can not be arrested for suggesting a recount on twitter or slaughtered from publicly protesting election results.

Not to mention the guy that leaked the election results claiming that Ahmadinejad came in third was supposedly killed in a car accident.

I'm totally against american imperialism, but I'd much rather see us do something now than to kill hudreds of thousands of civilians later on because we fear that the country has nuclear weapons, like we did in Iraq.

my super smart friends were talking about it from a mathematical perspective, and apparently when you plot the results on a graph over time as they were announced, the rates that the votes increased relative to other votes were perfectly linear.

the r squared for the graph was like 0.997 or some crap, which is pretty much a physical impossibility unless it was rigged. the number being so close to 1 (a completely straight line) means that each candidate’s popularity was constant throughout the country which is unprecedented....anywhere. ever.

interesting.

was there much international pressure on the US for a recount of the 2000 election, or was that just the US pressuring itself? If there wasn't, I really don't think the US should pressure IRan at all which they haven't yet, which is good

To compare US and Iranian politics is a ludicrous concept. Aside from the president, Iran is run by the Supreme Leader (who adamantly supports Ahmadinejad), and the supreme leader picks a guardian council of 12 people. Each candidate has to be approved by this council before they can even be on the ballot. Also, I believe that the guardian council is in charge of the election.

Also, in our country we can not be arrested for suggesting a recount on twitter or slaughtered from publicly protesting election results.

Not to mention the guy that leaked the election results claiming that Ahmadinejad came in third was supposedly killed in a car accident.

I'm totally against american imperialism, but I'd much rather see us do something now than to kill hudreds of thousands of civilians later on because we fear that the country has nuclear weapons, like we did in Iraq.

you missed it.

I wasn't comparing one nation to another or anything like that, your post right here is a good example of reading what you want to read.

what I asked was when the US had the election in 2000, with hanging chads and non-counted votes in florida that ultimately got Bush in office after a long legal battle... during that time did other nations impose pressure on a recount of the votes in Florida, or was it just from within the nation itself? Pretty sure it was from within, which is exactly what is happening in Iran. Yes, people are being arrested for Twitter, but you know what? If thats what it takes for a "revolution" in Iran to happen without US involvement, then more power to them. They need to stand up for themselves, we don't need to hold their hands and show them how to revolt against their flawed government system.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/18/iran.101.explainer.qa/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

For a quick (yet far from complete) understanding on how we got to this point in time.

Also, totally agree w/ you Ryan.

But it's not like the US isn't already active inside Iran. Operatives are standing by to take yor call!

To me the US isn't a facist state. Meaning we had procedure in place that didn't include killing people during the 2000 election fiasco. No outside intervention was needed to make sure people weren't being murdered; that's not the case in Iran. I don't agree with too much intervention but letting Iran know the World is watching is certainly a good idea to me. Anything to keep them as honest as possible, to keep people from getting killed while protesting is a good idea. I think the US should apply political pressure but nothing more.

you missed it.

I wasn't comparing one nation to another or anything like that, your post right here is a good example of reading what you want to read.

what I asked was when the US had the election in 2000, with hanging chads and non-counted votes in florida that ultimately got Bush in office after a long legal battle... during that time did other nations impose pressure on a recount of the votes in Florida, or was it just from within the nation itself? Pretty sure it was from within, which is exactly what is happening in Iran. Yes, people are being arrested for Twitter, but you know what? If thats what it takes for a "revolution" in Iran to happen without US involvement, then more power to them. They need to stand up for themselves, we don't need to hold their hands and show them how to revolt against their flawed government system.

Well then I can't understand why you would compare two things that you agree are totally separate beasts. The whole point of a comparison is to say that if something happened a certain way in some situation, then it should happen the same way in a similar situation, but by saying that they're not the same situation it seems to disqualify your argument.

Some easy hacking while you're reading the news:

Flood Ahmednejan's pages. Use: http://www.pagereboot.com/?url=http://www.president.ir/en/&refresh=2

Cool, I'll keep this up. Also, if you have a twitter, I've read that you should change your location to Tehran. That way it is harder for the government to monitor all of the twitter posts that are actually coming out of the city.

EDIT: It would appear as if the site just went down. It worked at first, but when I just checked after posting, I was getting a service unavailable error.

Some easy hacking while you're reading the news:

Flood Ahmednejan's pages. Use: http://www.pagereboot.com/?url=http://www.president.ir/en/&refresh=2

Cool, I'll keep this up. Also, if you have a twitter, I've read that you should change your location to Tehran. That way it is harder for the government to monitor all of the twitter posts that are actually coming out of the city.

EDIT: It would appear as if the site just went down. It worked at first, but when I just checked after posting, I was getting a service unavailable error.

Huh, I have it open and reloading still.

And, apparently, it is helpful to change your time zone as well for Twitter.