Clear Turntable

that looks amazing! but you wouldn't be able to play small-hole records

Those are record weights, they apply pressing to the center of the record to keep them flat to prevent distortion. That fat part you see is where you grab it with your finger. My guess is the guy keeps them on the spindle when there isn't a record playing so he doesn't lose them.

that looks amazing! but you wouldn't be able to play small-hole records

Those are record weights, they apply pressing to the center of the record to keep them flat to prevent distortion. That fat part you see is where you grab it with your finger. My guess is the guy keeps them on the spindle when there isn't a record playing so he doesn't lose them.

ahh I see...that's incredible. Is there contact info for this guy?

ahh I see...that's incredible. Is there contact info for this guy?

[email protected].

He's not even "making" them, he's just modding existing tables.

That's what I was thinking. That first one was obviously a Rega. He just transplanted the parts onto a custom plinth. I was getting ready to call him an idiot for making the plinth glass but then I read that it's acrylic, I guess he's not that dumb.

• 3 weeks later...
Really whats the difference?

Slipmats are for DJs. The material is made so that the record "slips" on the mat (get it?) when scratching.

Platter mats that are made for turntables for listening only usually secure the record firmly to the platter. That is, they're usually a material that won't create slippage. More expensive platter mats are heavier materials that are sonically "dead". Meaning they'll deaden sonic frequencies from reaching the stylus that can degrade sound quality. Common platter mat materials are felt (cheap), cork, lead, rubber, etc. Some people don't use mats at all, just depends on the turntable and the platter.

Unfortunately I don't have an encylopedic knowledge of this subject so some of that may not be technically accurate so someone more knowledgable than me might be able to provide more input, but I know the concepts of it all and that's the basic jist of it.