Showbread

Would love to see Nihilism on vinyl, that album was my gateway into "harder" music. Could care less about the rest, honestly: Reptiles was OK, but Anorexia/Nervosa was way overwrought. They tried to make a lot out of it, when really it was just "we listen to a lot of Nine Inch Nails now". Trying to keep an open mind for the new one coming out.

• 1 year later...

Are we going to get into this again? Again, the price might be a little crazy, but imo the album is pretty good. Obviously it's not for everybody, it's definitely not the kind of stuff they used to play. They don't expect most casual listeners to buy it. But there are still plenty of people who are more than happy to pay the price (granted, I estimate at least 50% of those people don't own a record player or know anything about vinyl).

But you know that they're using all the earnings from this to go into their very expensive free tour. Maybe it's not the best decision to price it where it is in regards to some casual listeners that might want it, but Josh tells me that they do expect to sell them all, even if it takes awhile. This is their first ever attempt at vinyl (and a lot of other new things), so please cut these guys some slack. Maybe if they keep it up you'll see the price drop when they start getting the hang of vinyl and stuff.

skadoodle, thank you for going out on a limb to check it out. How does it sound? I expect it to be at least another week or so for my copy and test, but hopefully sooner.

Selling a record that probably cost $10/each to produce for $40 so they can make the tour free makes no sense. Why should I overpay for a record I want so someone can go to a show I don't want to go to for free?

Im not really into this band but if it was a band I really liked, I'd be kinda annoyed....

For starters, if you were into them, you'd probably want to go to the show. Especially if it's free. But I get what you're saying, and yes, you're right. Like I said, it might not be the best decision in the case of less frequent fans who might want the record. But I still stand by them as awesome guys.

As far as the tour goes: touring for free is ending costing them much more than they had originally planned, and they had nowhere to draw the extra money from, as the tour starts this weekend. This is the easiest way for them to get that. Maybe when the tour's over they'll drop the price on whatever they don't sell at the merch table. I'll talk to Josh about it and see what he thinks, because I do want everyone that wants the record to be able to get it.

LOL you paid $40 for a shitty record

That's just your opinion man. I believe in what theses guys stand for and what they're doing with this whole free tour thing is great and I wanted to help support them buy purchasing this record.

Are we going to get into this again? Again, the price might be a little crazy, but imo the album is pretty good. Obviously it's not for everybody, it's definitely not the kind of stuff they used to play. They don't expect most casual listeners to buy it. But there are still plenty of people who are more than happy to pay the price (granted, I estimate at least 50% of those people don't own a record player or know anything about vinyl).

But you know that they're using all the earnings from this to go into their very expensive free tour. Maybe it's not the best decision to price it where it is in regards to some casual listeners that might want it, but Josh tells me that they do expect to sell them all, even if it takes awhile. This is their first ever attempt at vinyl (and a lot of other new things), so please cut these guys some slack. Maybe if they keep it up you'll see the price drop when they start getting the hang of vinyl and stuff.

skadoodle, thank you for going out on a limb to check it out. How does it sound? I expect it to be at least another week or so for my copy and test, but hopefully sooner.

Thanks for the encouragement. Ever since this album was released it continues to grow on me and I find myself enjoying it more every time, which is odd cause I was initially shocked by the change in sound, but that shock has now worn off.

Hey Jeremy, if I pressed Nihilism on vinyl would you promise to buy 100 copies?

I would buy one :)

touring for free is ending costing them much more than they had originally planned, and they had nowhere to draw the extra money from, as the tour starts this weekend.

Their kickstarter for the production of the album brought in $20,000 more than they originally requested.

How many gold-rimmed tour busses do they need?

Selling records at an inflated rate to finance a free tour means that fans of the band will subsidize non-fans of the band. Presumably the band expect that new people will check them out on the free tour, in which case, the only people they will get are the marginal listeners who were only willing to pay some amount between the ticket price and the opportunity cost of going to a show.

If that is the case, they probably aren't going to be attracting too many new fans.

If the band is thinking that the free tour is a benefit to their fans, then they are simply taxing the biggest fans to subsidize their lesser fans.

Either way, its not a great plan.

That being said, if the two ideas are unrelated, there really isn't a problem.

Waterwoman. lol.

Give me 100 copies of that, then 1 each of your two most recent, because I still haven't gotten around to getting them. How soon is Zao coming along? I might just wait for that before grabbing the other two.

@smailtronic: Anyways, yeah, the kickstarter brought in loads more money, which is why the idea for a free tour came about. Some things ended up costing more than originally anticipated, and they used a good handful of it making kickstarter handouts better and such. I can say first hand that the band lives and tours very modestly. No buses involved. I can't say how much doing a full US tour absolutely free actually costs, but I can imagine that by not charging at all, it can't be cheap. Realistically, most bands struggle financially when they're on tour and ARE getting some money from ticket sales. I obviously can't change your mind if you believe they're being greedy or whatever.

@Jaicomo: The plan wasn't originally to sell the records to finance the tour, I'm sure they thought what they had would be enough. But things didn't work out that way. I can assure you that they're not trying to punish people, and I realize that it's obviously above normal 2xLP prices. Legitimate question to you guys, what do you think is a fair price for this? Keep in mind that it's a double lp that the band pressed themselves, in small quantity.

Anyways, the album's available for free download at Come and Live.. so it's not like people who want to hear it can't.

I know I'm not changing anybody's minds with all my junk, but again, these guys are my friends, and imo they don't really deserve the amount of hate they get.

The tour bus line was a joke. I know they're modest guys, and I don't think they're being greedy, I just think they have no idea what they're doing. And, after trading a couple emails with Drew, he basically admitted as much.

Look at this from the angle of someone who's unfamiliar with the band. Fans completely finance the production of their album, plus an extra 20 grand. During that process, they gave ~75 LPs to folks who donated <$100. Presumably they used kickstarter funds to fund the pressing, so they knew how many they needed. They could have pressed 100 and called it a day, but they made a choice to press 342. As to a fair price, they could sell the remaining copies at $20 a pop and more than pay for the pressing all over again. Instead, they're banking on naive church kids with parents gullible enough to pay for wholesome music. If they sell all the remaining copies at $40, they'll bring in another 10 grand. If it looks like gouging, and smells like gouging...

Sure they're losing the ticket share/guarantee, but they're gonna make a killing on merch. I used to book church shows, and these kids (and parents) drop bank.

And I agree, they don't really know what they're doing. Like I said, this is their first time doing a lot of new things all at once, and the vinyl is mixed in there with it all. Presumably, they've made some mistakes and maybe have even had to pay for things twice over (or more) because of it. But regardless, they're choosing to sell at $40, and I wouldn't really call it naivety just because some people think it's worth that and are absolutely fine paying for it. Maybe not all of you, but I'm sure some of you have an artist or two that you'd absolutely buy a record from for the same price in the same circumstances.

I know it sucks for people who might want to pick up the album but aren't willing to pay that, regardless of how much or how little they like the album. I'll be first to say I donated to the Kickstarter and I'm more than okay with what I paid, but I completely understand that the majority of people would never. I've been buying records for awhile now so I know the prices and costs, and I know this is higher than normal. I've done what I can to shed a little light, but I can't speak for the band anymore. I'm going to shoot an email off to Josh later and see if he's willing to hop on here to respond to a few things.

And yes, they'll make money on merch, but I don't think merch sales will make up for the guarantee they don't get.

Is there any bullshit Christian shit this board doesn't defend/love? Is this all your born-again parents let you listen to?

Reading all of the posts about this band and others of their ilk is so confusing to me.

people defend alot shittier bands on here...

with that said, this was a horrible idea... But if Further seems Forever charged $40 for a record, I wouldnt hesitate for a second to buy it. However with this, I did/will not even consider it.

Kudos to the fans that support this band the way I'd support my favorite band and I hope to never have to pay that for a new release.