I built my own snare drum

So this is kind of a bragging/showoff thread but I recently built my own snare drum. Instead of it being a ply shell (thin layers of wood wrapped and glued together) it's a Stave shell (20 pieces of wood cut at angles to make a circle then glued together and turned on a lathe) It was a lot of work but I finished it. This is my first drum and it's also pretty much my first experience wood working aside from grade 8 shop class.

The light wood i maple and the dark is walnut. The only thing on it is layers (about 12) of Tung Oil. The wood cost me $45 and the hardware cost me about $300 but I didn't skimp out on the hardware I got some of the best I could find. The wood hoops and the lugs alone cost me $140.

[image]

[image]

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. As beautiful as this thing looks it sounds 10 times better. It is the exact sound I wanted out of the drum. In addition to the adjustable snare strainer I also put on an adjustable butt plate so I have a lot of control over the sound. When the snares are tight it has a deep sound with not a lot of resonance but when I loosen the snares it has an incredible reggae sound to it with lots of resonance.

I think I want to build a matching 24 inch bass drum next.

Guest kevinb

wow that looks amazing.

I have wanted to build a kit out of keller shells for quite some time but the cost of good hardware and keller shells is not cheap.

I don't know alot about Stave shells but the only thing I would worry about is the wood splitting.