f the iTunes LP, Buy a record player

chaps

http://farewellparty.tumblr.com/

Virgil hit a ton of points home, I went into the music business aspect of it a little more in my rant.

I think its a huge move on apples part in such a critical time for the music industry.

$17 dollars for the "new format" ?? No thanks.

This is something very important that should be openly discussed with people in a community like this.

It's a very one-sided "discussion" here, though, which is why it hasn't taken off. It would probably work better on a general music site, not a vinyl site.

my only thought was this is a community of people who but music, play music and put out music. Just was looking for oter insite. But I will be posting in other spots to maybe get other input!

if people are stupid enough to pay that price for some digital, non-tangible "product"; then they deserve to have apple take their money because theyre idiots. i think its a shitty "product" (or lack thereof) with a horrible sales spin.

the independents have it right. physical product + digital download = the best of both worlds. i specifically remember preordering the last have heart lp from bridge 9 and getting an instant download w/ a pdf of the entire booklet layout plus obviously a copy of the record (and a shirt) for 20 bucks.

Yeah I think this is pretty much a non-issue. People only pay for digital shit when it is a reasonable price. I would venture a guess that most of iTunes sales come from selling singles because people are more apt to pay $.99 for something than $17 or hell even $10 for a whole album. I think the bigger issue is labels who don't offer a DL coupon with their releases. If you're going to sell vinyl for over $10 I think you should be obligated to provide a free dl.

Dude before i start on the whole iTunes LP, i just want to say, that statement filled me with some kind of pride, more people should do it.

When you drop $12 dollars on a vinyl LP from an independent label, band or distributor, your making a statement with your dollar. When you buy a record from an indie label you are saying, hey I like what you guys do, I support your bands, here is my hard earned money. In return they are sent a cd, vinyl lp or cassette with some sweet jamz. Go to a basement show and buy a record...

Go to a show, make a friend. Why? because it's to easy to click add new friend on Facebook and never talk to them, put your self out there and experience life good and bad!

Back to the meat and potatoes,

I think it is just a promotional scam, and at the price they have chosen (Apple fan boys aside) will price a lot of people out of the market.

I think its in a similar realm to releasing a single disc DVD, the 2 disc special edition with extras and then the extended version in a 4 movie box set. Sure collectors and movie buffs splash out on them all, majority of people are happy with the bog standard single disc $5 version from Walmart

People will realise that they can get all the same material and a tangible product for less. At the minute it is a choice you can choose to to buy it or not, i don't feel it is that much of a discussion point as it is just digital media expanding to make an overall better digital package. I can't see it affecting say the vinyl market as people have chosen this medium for a reason. The people that will be taking advantage of it are going to be people already committed to the digital format that want the extra goodness that we have been keeping to ourselves for years.

The only time i won't be happy with it is when they, like iTunes already do, have an iTunes exclusive track/EP or whatever and the only way to get it is to splash out on the full digital package that frankly i couldn't give to shits about. saying that i think the majority of bands i listen to/collect aren't going to striking up packages like this anyway.

On the topic of an opinion from the other side, i was installing the new iTunes on my sisters computer and was explaining the new thing like the iTunes LP. (She pretty much only buys chart singles, or old pop compilations). Her response was pretty much whats the point? why would i pay more for the same song to get a couple of pictures i can't see unless i'm staring at my ipod.

I guess only time will tell.

Tom - Great Stuff.

Matt and Jesse - On download codes - I know no idea has done research on download codes and they found 3 in every 10 even use them. I personally don't half the time. I actually prefer a CD to a digital download card. But I know there are people who do enjoy them. But the reason of my post was to call apple out on a bullshit move. Attempting to make a new format, but following the same old tactics that made the majors go under. Overcharging for something that is now essentially free.

I have no problem with giving away releases I have put out for free. I have done it before on this board when people have told me "not sure if I like this band but I'd give 'em a shot, I send 'em the digital download code for free. In the future I may just put our releases up for free download, because if people aren't going to pay for music, they aren't going to pay.

Giving your money to a label, band or distro is showing your support, because you could easily boot that release and not give them a dime of your money.

I don't get why everyone is making a big deal out of the iTunes LP. What connection does it actually have to vinyl other than the fact they're called iTunes LP? If they called it "iTunes HD", I doubt it would've even been brought up here.

People who buy vinyl aren't suddenly going to stop buying them and invest in iTunes LPs. If anything, I'd think iTunes LP will draw more people to buy vinyl.

What am I missing something?

I can't tell you how much I greatly appreciate the way labels like Mylene Sheath and Magic Bullet Records have utilized GimmeSound.com. They've put up their entire discographies for free download in order to get people interested before they decide to drop money on records. And luckily, the bands and label see some profit from those downloads as well. It's really a huge step in the right direction and a sign that SOMEONE gets it.

I don't get why everyone is making a big deal out of the iTunes LP. What connection does it actually have to vinyl other than the fact they're called iTunes LP? If they called it "iTunes HD", I doubt it would've even been brought up here.

People who buy vinyl aren't suddenly going to stop buying them and invest in iTunes LPs. If anything, I'd think iTunes LP will draw more people to buy vinyl.

I don't think that the iTunes Lp will take away sales from vinyl directly. But my beef is the price point and what apple is actually trying to do is follow the same old model that the majors used when CD's first came out - late 90's. Thats my beef, not that it will hurt vinyl sales. It could potentially shift the music industry in a direction I am not stoked on, because there is a battle between physical and digital formats going on right now and if digital keeps going the way it does, digital will win.

Chap - I like most of what you are getting at with the price point analysis, but I honestly think it needs to be re-written to convey the main argument you're making more easy for the reader to understand. It seems that you are presenting the same argument 5 different ways in the blog post, and that gets a bit confusing.

In addition, and kind of along what I think Adam was saying, I don't read what you're reading from Apple's iTunes LP announcement. They are not presenting it as a new format, at least definitely not in the sense that compact discs were a different format than the vinyl long player. The only thing that iTunes LP gives the buyer is a new way to experience the digital music within the iTunes application. The big change is the added content and the app itself, not a new format with which to deliver music to the listener, like Blu-Ray or DVD.

Do I agree that Apple's price point is ludicrous? Yes. Will the iTunes LP win me over to the digital-only music experience? No way. But, then again, I (and I would venture to say you and some of the folks on the VC board) am not Apple's demographic. They are not trying to win over the hardcore analog listener. They know they can't win over the audiophile either. They seem to be shoring up their present demo (those who may want to branch out and see what Amazon has to offer), and targeting the listener who still buys the physical CD for nothing more than liner notes, photos, lyrics – and maybe some enhanced content. iTunes LP seems to really be a misnomer, if you ask me it would be more aptly named iTunes CD.

i have to agree with this. i don't understand all the fuss

Chap - I like most of what you are getting at with the price point analysis, but I honestly think it needs to be re-written to convey the main argument you're making more easy for the reader to understand. It seems that you are presenting the same argument 5 different ways in the blog post, and that gets a bit confusing.

In addition, and kind of along what I think Adam was saying, I don't read what you're reading from Apple's iTunes LP announcement. They are not presenting it as a new format, at least definitely not in the sense that compact discs were a different format than the vinyl long player. The only thing that iTunes LP gives the buyer is a new way to experience the digital music within the iTunes application. The big change is the added content and the app itself, not a new format with which to deliver music to the listener, like Blu-Ray or DVD.

Do I agree that Apple's price point is ludicrous? Yes. Will the iTunes LP win me over to the digital-only music experience? No way. But, then again, I (and I would venture to say you and some of the folks on the VC board) am not Apple's demographic. They are not trying to win over the hardcore analog listener. They know they can't win over the audiophile either. They seem to be shoring up their present demo (those who may want to branch out and see what Amazon has to offer), and targeting the listener who still buys the physical CD for nothing more than liner notes, photos, lyrics – and maybe some enhanced content. iTunes LP seems to really be a misnomer, if you ask me it would be more aptly named iTunes CD.

Matt,

I do actually plan to re-write this and expand on it. This was just a first draft and I had to get all my ideas down while they were fresh. I'm going to have to go more into the fact that they could call this iTunes HD, etc. etc. The name doesn't matter.

But thing is they ARE attempting to make this the next new "format". It was a competition between them and the majors. To them this is the next big format. Although it may not be anything new like you said like a CD. It is new in the sense they are attempting to use the same formula to release music as a product that was used for the last 20 years.

I'm going to sleep on it some more and go back and expand and re-write it.

I really do appreciate the comments.

I don't think that the iTunes Lp will take away sales from vinyl directly. But my beef is the price point and what apple is actually trying to do is follow the same old model that the majors used when CD's first came out - late 90's. Thats my beef, not that it will hurt vinyl sales. It could potentially shift the music industry in a direction I am not stoked on, because there is a battle between physical and digital formats going on right now and if digital keeps going the way it does, digital will win.

I was partially basing it off of the "buy a record player" comment, as well as this being in the Vinyl section of the board.

I don't see this as a new format at all, though, It's essentially the same thing they've done for years, but with artwork and a bunch of other crap.

The way I see it, there are people that care enough about music to drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on a setup to listen to high fidelity music and there are those that would rather just pay $10 for an album/99 cents for a song and listen to it through their shitty computer speakers/ipod headphones. I don't really see a market for people who want to pay $17 for a few mp3s and some artwork.

That said, I agree with Adam that this has nothing to do with vinyl and I don't think Apple is trying to steal away any record collectors.

Edit: I hadn't read all of the other posts and everything I said had already been said. Oh well.

I was partially basing it off of the "buy a record player" comment, as well as this being in the Vinyl section of the board.

I don't see this as a new format at all, though, It's essentially the same thing they've done for years, but with artwork and a bunch of other crap.

They as well as the other majors are attempting to create a "new" format. By that they are attempting to figure out a way to get people to pay $17 for music. That is the issue. I would be singing a different tune if they were charging $9.99.

i have to agree with this. i don't understand all the fuss

The term LP does not mean vinyl record, LP has nothing to do with format, it's a long player, meaning a full album.

To me Apple was just selling half the product to people, now they are selling 75% of the product and marketing the hell outta it.

I more I think about this, the less of an issue I think it is. It's the same thing as going to FYE or Virgin and paying $20 for a CD there, when you could get it from the label or say Best Buy for $12. If people are willing to pay for it, might as well capitalize.

Apple is doing this purely as a way to make money. That's why they're a company, they're in it to make money and do what is in their company's best interest. If they're not losing any money on this (and I doubt the cost of advertising/developing etc won't be covered by a few sales of this product), then it's just a new business venture for Apple.

Now, I definitely don't think it's going to take away from vinyl sales, as is pretty much the consensus here, so I don't really care. I don't advocate people spend $17 on this, however.