Jury Duty

tanukichu

Sooooooooo just when I thought my day was already sucky, I got myself a nice little letter in the mail from the city of Philadelphia.

OMG JURY DUTY SUMMONS? BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

Yeah sure, I'm young and it will give me an appreciation of the justice system (maybe) but seriously the timing is shitty.....I really can't afford to miss work. I also have no idea if it will interfere with my class schedule for next semester since I have no idea what classes I'm taking.

Anyone else ever have to do jury duty? Did it suck as bad as most people says it does? Any of you get out of jury duty?

My dad got a jury duty summons. I never asked him if he ended up having to stay. He said he was just going to keep shouting "if he's black, he's guilty, if he's brown he's guilty" so he could get out of it (my dad is not white, my dad is in fact, very brown) because he was actually backed up at work and missing a day was the last thing he needed. Heh.

yeah my wife just had it not to long ago and didnt even go the whole week.

she went the first two days and waited for like 2 hours for them to tell her that they didnt need her.

i know when i had jury duty all i had to do was call in the morning and they would either tell me yes or no. it was always no. then i got a certificate about a month later.

Yeah...boring is what I'm afraid of. I have a really short attention span and it's going to be incredibly hard for me to focus. Knowing my luck I will probably get stuck on some murder case that will take a fucking week.

It's not so much that I'm worried about my job letting me off. I know they have to, but I could really use the hours/money. Jury duty ain't gonna pay the bills.

The thought of jury duty also makes me think of Twelve Angry Men.

[image]

Here's what I did last time I got jury duty. When they brought us into the courtroom they asked everyone who had a reason to be excused from jury duty to stand up. When the judge asked me why I needed to be excused I told him that I was starting an unpaid internship with a professional photographer. I told him I was an amateur photographer (which is true) and that this would be an important opportunity for me. I told him that if I have jury duty the photog would simply pick someone else and move on. Since in my hypothetical situation this is an unpaid internship he wouldn't be bound by laws that prevent an employee for firing you for going to jury duty. They didn't even question it and let me go.

^ That sounds the same. The letter says "Your commitment for jury service is limited to one full day or the duration of the trial if selected."

Even if I don't get pick that's a productive day in the shit hole.

Yup sounds like the same thing. Hopefully you dont get picked at all and you just have to go for a day and thats it.

i had jury duty in July. i had to be there at 8 am, which added to my anger. i sat in a room full of about 300 people. i eventually got called to a case around 11 am for jury selection. i sat there on the edge of my seat dreading my name would be called. i watched as they dismissed about 20 jurors. the reasons included health issues, college class conflicts, financial/work related issues, and giving an answer either attorney did not like.

thankfully my name was never called to the juror's box. i was sent home around 3 pm. but for my troubles the county gave me 5 whole dollars. a complete waste of a beautiful summer day.

for everyone saying tell them you're racist, prejudice, etc. they don't ask you questions like that, they don't give anyone a chance to do something that stupid and ignorant.

I just had jury duty today actually, the first year I couldn't manage to get out of it...

It was super fucking boring. I saw around from 8-2 then finally went with forty other people to talk to the lawyers and judge and they asked a bunch of stupid questions and then they only picked 6 out of the 40 of us so I left around 5:30. Lame.

I just had jury duty today actually, the first year I couldn't manage to get out of it...

It was super fucking boring. I saw around from 8-2 then finally went with forty other people to talk to the lawyers and judge and they asked a bunch of stupid questions and then they only picked 6 out of the 40 of us so I left around 5:30. Lame.

6 really? that's half of what they actually need. weird.

It's your civic duty. Quit your bitching.

I know it's my civic duty. But my civic duty doesn't pay my bills or get my school work done (I go to art school so I can't do that kind of stuff while I wait). Especially when they make you sit in a room for fucking hours on end only to tell you they don't need you. Can you blame most people for being a tad annoyed?

I got picked for jury duty once when i was 18. i had a manslaughter case i was picked for. Fucking sucked major ass. I passed out one day and the judge got pissed. After about a week, the defense attorney said we didn't have to actually be there anymore because the guilty party struck a deal. I was so fucking happy. I got a whole $22 in the mail and lost a whole week worth of pay. I was pissed. I always told myself if i ever was called back i would make up a great excuse because i can't afford to miss any more work.

kyle, that was a great excuse. I will so be using that "internship" opportunity as a reason to get out if i ever get picked again.

I got lucky..i got called up for jury duty and totally missed the first day. Luckily when I called later that day I wasn't needed anymore. It was a huge sigh of relief on my part.

they issue arrest warrants if you don't show up here.

Yeah they can here too thats why I was freaking the fuck out but they whole lot wasn't needed so they must have settled or something.