Invest in Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home's Future

Guest admin1338560633

I saw this thread leap from one page to 10 pages in a day or so and don't have the time to read through everything.

I do want to point out that I haven't seen a distro at a show in years. There may have been one at one of the TRIAL reunion shows, but that could have been a band as well. I know back in the late 90's and into 2000, I remember seeing them way more often and also a ton of bands would have all the releases for the label they were repping.

I kind of wish I lived right in Seattle again as I would totally be down to try it out and see how it goes, but I don't go to as many shows now that I'm about 45 minutes out.

Virgil is a good guy, has helped me make a little bit of money screen printing shit for his releases and I'm so thankful for that. I wish I had more money to give back to him by buying up releases, but shit is rough everywhere and my fuckin' girlfriend basically made me move in with her and I got more bills now, fuck! He's going through some rough shit just like all of us and he's trying things out to get his business back on it's feet. If we don't help him, we'll be paying out our asses from interpunk or just dealing with a bunch of assholes in general. I don't have the money to buy anything right now, but I'm gonna buy a record or two tonight with the discount code and "do my part" to make sure when I do have money, I can spend it here, rather than give it to some asshole who doesn't give a shit about the independent music scene.

my two cents

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's everyone's problem with the way pre-orders are set up? I think every time a record I wanted was being pressed/repressed, I saw it on Interpunk at least a month before it was released, with VC adding it a few weeks later, so it doesn't seem excessive to me at all. Furthermore, every time this has happened, I've emailed VC to see if they were going to get the album, and they said they were waiting until they had more info to post it on the site, which seems pretty responsible to me.

And I'm sorry, but if you're genuinely looking toward a "career" in the music industry to take care of bills, family, etc., you're a fucking idiot. The odds are so stacked it's not even funny. It's the one of the worst industries to get into if you're looking for significant financial gains as a performer... or most any role at this point.

Basically, everything servo is saying here...

Good grief, what's with all the self-righteous "punks"? Who said anything about music as a career?!?! I just said $10 bucks isn't enough to get your van outta the driveway and I am not gonna condemn a band for not wanting to deal with other people's merch. Everyone I deal with is cool about it, but I am not gonna go writing MRR if a band doesn't want to distro other people's shit in this rough climate.

Again, save your self-important, self-congratulatory speeches for pre-teens in Conflict shirts. They might actually buy your bullshit.

I go to a lotsa shows. 4 this week alone and that's when I'm not on tour. In all of 2008 I saw 2 shows (Wichita and OKC) with any sort of distro. If distros were so effective and crucial to the scene they would be more prevalent, but THEY'RE NOT. How can you get so angry with bands just because they don't wanna work by your stndards of DIY? I don't have any facial piercings or bondage pants, are you and Servo gonna freak out about that too?

Who gives a shit about distros anyway, that's not the subject here. Looks to me like Servo and MagicBullet are just looking for an excuse to throw around their punk points and brag about the size of the dicks/mohawks.

i dont care if this post is irrelevant to the conversation now but I just want to say that although I cant afford to do any of those right now I will continue to support vinyl collective and suburban home. I have found out about a ton of great bands through virgil and his label ( the takers, two cow garage, drag the river, ninja gun) I dont believe virgil is trying to rip anybody off or scam any money and believe he is a good hearted guy and is doing this for the right reasons. VC has always shown me excellent customer service and have always been prompt with responses ( been ordering for close to 2 years)

there are a ton of other labels and distros that are excellent as well ( robotic empire, no idea) that I buy from as well but VC will always get my support. So even if I cant afford to do any of those I will continue to buy SH releases and buy things from the store

I hope it all works out dudes

ps

I do stay away from preorders and only order stuff when they are in stock and im fine with that, if youre bitchin about preorders just do what I do and youll be fine

Uhhhh, yeah, we're not exactly mohawked, Conflict-shirted, punks there "redscare." I run a full-time label and play in bands... it's absolutely considered "business" by IRS, I have a house and a 401k because of it, and I certainly make completely retarded and unfair amounts of money doing it. It's not "punk" and I'm definitely don't care about points or looking cool on the internet.

BUT, at the same time, it's all ethical/band-centered and has roots in true DIY spirit/business fundamentals (and that's all the "critics" of these ideas here are getting at). I run my shit exactly how Dischord runs it because it's a proven formula and something bands/fans/myself can feel good about all the way through. No coozies, no foam fingers, no pint glasses, no "funny"/"lifestyle" t-shirts, no pre-orders, no keychains, no "shares," no Amway. No bizarre methodologies that Tony Victory already "led the charge" with for "independent" music 5 years ago in a thinly veiled positioning scheme... You're from Chicago, you know what I'm talking about.

Servo, vinyljunkie, myself... sorry, we're not mohawked punx. We're just realistic dudes who have seen a few things and believe that records and hard work are ENOUGH. No frills. It works. You're not going to see Dischord plea for money, you're not going to see Vinyl Junkie plea for money, you're not going to see me plea for money...

fucking christ, if you dont have bondage pants you dont have brains. not even gonna address anything you said

man, maybe ben weasel was right about this guy...

I just don't get the anger and scorn directed towards people who don't necessarily follow rules that some random people in the scene cook up for everybody. If I wanna listen to some self-righteous knowitall, I'll go talk to a Deacon. Seriously, look at how bent outta shape Captain Anarchy gets:

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38135&start=105#694479

Even Gilman volunteers in 1994 would tell him he needs to calm down!

Uhhhh, yeah, we're not exactly mohawked, Conflict-shirted, punks there "redscare." I run a full-time label and play in bands... it's absolutely considered "business" by IRS, I have a house and a 401k because of it, and I certainly make completely retarded and unfair amounts of money doing it. It's not "punk" and I'm definitely don't care about points or looking cool on the internet.

BUT, at the same time, it's all ethical/band-centered and has roots in true DIY spirit/business fundamentals (and that's all the "critics" of these ideas here are getting at). I run my shit exactly how Dischord runs it because it's a proven formula and something bands/fans/myself can feel good about all the way through. No coozies, no foam fingers, no pint glasses, no "funny"/"lifestyle" t-shirts, no pre-orders, no keychains, no "shares," no Amway. No bizarre methodologies that Tony Victory already "led the charge" with for "independent" music 5 years ago in a thinly veiled positioning scheme... You're from Chicago, you know what I'm talking about.

Servo, vinyljunkie, myself... sorry, we're not mohawked punx. We're just realistic dudes who have seen a few things and believe that records and hard work are ENOUGH. No frills. It works. You're not going to see Dischord plea for money, you're not going to see Vinyl Junkie plea for money, you're not going to see me plea for money...

Hey man, now THOSE are ideas that I not only agree with but would love to see others share. Props to you for it. I just don't understand the condemnation towards bands that don't wanna hump around a bullshit distro! They can run their band they way they want, ya know?

Also, I should note that I realize I'm making broad, sweeping generalizations. Obviously little things change and need to be adapted to in running a business as time goes by. But I absolutely believe that the blueprint and core values laid down over 25 years ago by Dischord et al is as valid and prosperous as ever. I've stayed in Jeff Nelson's Victorian mansion... I've seen it work.

As for the show distro issue, I don't think I condemned bands for not wanting to bring one with them. I think I took umbrage with the "it's too much work" or "it takes money out of the pockets of bands" or "it would never work here" angle. Basically, excuses. I'm optimistic enough to believe that anything is possible with work, care, and commitment.

Also, I should note that I realize I'm making broad, sweeping generalizations. Obviously little things change and need to be adapted to in running a business as time goes by. But I absolutely believe that the blueprint and core values laid down over 25 years ago by Dischord et al is as valid and prosperous as ever. I've stayed in Jeff Nelson's Victorian mansion... I've seen it work.

As for the show distro issue, I don't think I condemned bands for not wanting to bring one with them. I think I took umbrage with the "it's too much work" or "it takes money out of the pockets of bands" or "it would never work here" angle. Basically, excuses. I'm optimistic enough to believe that anything is possible with work, care, and commitment.

Yeah, I'll say you're making some crazy generalizations! You're also making constant reference to Dischord's model, which is an extreme outlier. Not every label can rely on massive sales from the Fugazis or Minor Threats of the world. If it were only that easy. And yeah, we should all aspire to be Jeff Nelson, IE, REALLY LUCKY! Heh heh.

But more to the point, and in regards to your final words about being optimistic and hard working; I think that's what Virgil is aiming for with these latest ideas. Who knows if they would/should work, but he's trying and he's offering something in return.

Yeah, I'll say you're making some crazy generalizations! You're also making constant reference to Dischord's model, which is an extreme outlier. Not every label can rely on massive sales from the Fugazis or Minor Threats of the world. If it were only that easy. And yeah, we should all aspire to be Jeff Nelson, IE, REALLY LUCKY! Heh heh.

But more to the point, and in regards to your final words about being optimistic and hard working; I think that's what Virgil is aiming for with these latest ideas. Who knows if they would/should work, but he's trying and he's offering something in return.

Ah a young naive board trying to argue with Toby. Oh sweet gentle souls you have no idea what you're getting in to.

yo i wanna troll this thread a little harder so im gonna go with this:

my goal is to be in a band who works their ass off, tours, puts out records, and maybe just maybe one day write and record and album good enough that toby wants to give me cocaine to entice me to let him put it out. like, a lot of cocaine.

/troll

yeah, ive done some touring. and its all been with dudes who are looking to get new people to hear their jams and make new friends and see new places. dudes who could give a fuck if they get $10 or $100 for a show. dudes that are stoked that their music has taken them outside of their hometown.

this is the mentality i have. when i toured i always saved and saw it more of a vacation. i was never pissed. this stuff isnt a career goal in my eyes. I saw the US and had many adventures that i wouldn't have had otherwise. i play music for the love of it. and like any hobby in life (poker, disc golf, music, hookers, etc. etc) you have to shell out $$$ for what you love. Sure it's awesome when you get a return, but I don't go into it initially wanting one. If i toured and made a dozen lifelong friends that enjoyed my music and had to spent $300 or so out of my pocket in the end... i see this as a gain. I"m still friends with some of those people i toured with almost 15 years ago. I seriously just wanted to get out and have people hear my music with no other expectations than having a good time.

Well, you better add something to that list: you now have to take out other band's and label's records and sell them or you're an asshole. Them's the new rules. And Jeff Nelson has a Victorian Mansion proving their validity.

There was no luck involved in what Jeff Nelson did with Dischord. He put out killer records by killer bands. No luck, all smarts. Only an "outlier" because other people are too dumb/lazy to do all the shit he and Ian did to make Dischord what is it today.

If distros were so effective and crucial to the scene they would be more prevalent, but THEY'RE NOT.

Are you retarded? Really, are you? I mean, I guess we don't run with the same crowd, you're into "punk" and I am into punk, but seriously, even the fakers should know distros are a HUGE part of what punk is and has been.

Are you retarded? Really, are you? I mean, I guess we don't run with the same crowd, you're into "punk" and I am into punk, but seriously, even the fakers should know distros are a HUGE part of what punk is and has been.

Oh noes, now I'm a "faker"! Tell ya what, I'm pretty happy NOT to be on the side of the people who go around the internet judging and condemning others about what they do with their band. I mean, WHAT WOULD IAN SAY?!?! Get a grip, kids.

Tell us about yourself Nathan, only 3 posts? Who are you? Can we be friends or is my mohawk not big enough for you?