Whats the cheapest score on a rare record...

while most of the shit i buy doesn't go for that much anyway, here were my scores:

Neurosis- Pain of Mind (1st press) .99 cents (ebay)

Discharge - Never again (clay pressing) 3.99 (ebay)

Iron Lung - Demonstrations in Pressure and Volume #d w/ syringe) $12 (while not super cheap i was stoked to find this)

the following was purchased new...

flaming lips "hit to death in the future head" german LP $14.99

hum "you'd prefer an astronaut" black vinyl $8.99

modest mouse "lonesome crowded west" 2x12" LP $11.95

however, the biggest score thus far was at a swap meet in the Bay Area around 2002-3. amongst the many merchants with useless swag in the back of their auto, one guy had some records lying about and i noticed a samsonite train case (a jewelry case...) which said "records" on it and was closed. the moment i opened it i saw about 30-40 7"inches and saw the greatest treasure a record collector such as myself has ever seen... amongst these were original misfits (bullet, etc.), minor threat, kbd, necros records from the early eighties, converge, and a whole slew of screamo records from the early nineties, including some emocore stuff. i gasped, and showed my girlfriend one of the records...a cap'n jazz 7", her eyes dazzling, put it back in the case, closed it. immediately i asked the guy how much for the case.... $6 he said.

i gave him $10... and walked away.

i've sold most of these from the case since then and have made a bit over $1500 just from the 7"s thus far.

My favorite thing lately has been scooping stuff up at the Insound Warehouse sales. A lot of times, very surprisingly, the interns don't know what they are doing and don't know how to price shit properly.

The 7" bins is where you really find the buys. They've got a whole box that they label $5 but, like this one, aren't necessarily $5 records:

http://www.insound.com/The_Apples_in_Stereo_Song_for_Stephen_Colbert_Picture_Disc_7%22/productmain/p/INS50699/

That record wasn't on a discount...They just fucked up. In fact I asked the guy if this was really $5 and he's like, "Uh...It doesn't have a tag on it so I guess so" (moron). I enjoy it more for the fact that I beat them at their own game then any particular resale value.

however, the biggest score thus far was at a swap meet in the Bay Area around 2002-3. amongst the many merchants with useless swag in the back of their auto, one guy had some records lying about and i noticed a samsonite train case (a jewelry case...) which said "records" on it and was closed. the moment i opened it i saw about 30-40 7"inches and saw the greatest treasure a record collector such as myself has ever seen... amongst these were original misfits (bullet, etc.), minor threat, kbd, necros records from the early eighties, converge, and a whole slew of screamo records from the early nineties, including some emocore stuff. i gasped, and showed my girlfriend one of the records...a cap'n jazz 7", her eyes dazzling, put it back in the case, closed it. immediately i asked the guy how much for the case.... $6 he said.

i gave him $10... and walked away.

i've sold most of these from the case since then and have made a bit over $1500 just from the 7"s thus far.

Pre-eBay I used to troll punk and record collecting newsgroups. I'd grab tons of rare 80's punk records for $5. People had no idea back then. I'm surprised that in the 2000's someone wouldn't know what they had.

Found two Nina Simone records that were MINT at the new Salvation Army in town for a buck each.

I've picked up a bunch of free exotica records from the library book sale that regularly go for $30-40 on the 'Bay. At some point, I need to sell them.

Technically, my best score is that I'm getting two free LP shelves from the radio station I used to work at. They moved, and all the old shelves and stuff aren't needed, as they got all new stuff. These are the big-ass, heavy-duty LP shelves...they go for something like 500 or 600 bucks, and all I have to do is haul them away.