Hip Hop

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may just be really stoned, but I'm listening to Ninjasonik - The Mix #1 and within the first ten minutes I've heard two of the same songs used in a Girl Talk album. The bass line from 'Gimme Some Lovin' and 'Walk it Out.' Were those samples on the most recent GT album (which came out a year after The Mix) or did Ninjasonik bite their shit?[/quote

If it's a mixtape there is a good chance he's just covering the beat. In hip hop mixtapes its common to jack beats from other songs and freestyle over it.

Guest kingbuzzo

The new 50 Cent cd is actually pretty good, depending on your tolerance/like of old hardcore gangsta' rap and horrorcore as it's got some elements of it. Eminem's verse on the song "Psycho" is great. I'm thinking Em's been listening to a lot of old Detroit records lately.

No but he's better than P.O.S

Just listened to the song in that video...holy shit. Is this on a record somewhere? Also, it looks like the neighborhood I lived in (Bushwick.) Really stoked on this now.

Edit: AND there's a Flipper poster on the wall! That rules.

Edit pt. 2: Here's the link if anybody else wants to download that song. http://bln.kr/1AS~/

thanks man, have been looking for an mp3 rip of this for a few weeks now.

new Wyclef Jean is fucking amazing. Dude's rapping again and it's absolute fire. Technically it's an EP, but it's 16 tracks put together with the help of DJ Drama, only Drama doesn't shout stupid shit over the whole thing and Cyndi Lauper is on it and kills. Weird, but super surprise.
DJ Drama as in... Drama from the Rob Dyrdek shows?

the new Wale album is fucking great. my choice for hip hop album of the year.

Is this the dude that has an album full of Seinfeld lyrics/ samples?

Yep, but it's more of a mixtape, not an album.

Also, if you can stand listening to rhymes about selling coke in every song, the new Clipse album comes out next month and should be incredible.

I'm guessing a mixtape is more random and less focused. Usually has bits and pieces from other peoples records. Just a guess though. I don't know the official definition.

Side note:

I have a friend that LOVES Ol' Dirty. He's tried to get me to listen to if for years now and for some reason I never got around to it. Finally sat down and listened to Nigga Please. Man, he was right, this record rules.

Gotta' check out the first ODB album, Return to the 36 Chambers: the Dirty Version. Way better than Nigga Please. Nigga please is more of a party album what with the Neptunes production and whatnot.

As for Clipse, I'm a little worried about the next record, as it's a bunch of different producers instead of all Neptunes like their previous records.

As for the definition of a mixtape: these are releases that DJ's do where they piece together verses from the hottest rappers over the hottest beats (past and present). They usually have exclusive verses, although sometimes an especially good one will end up on an album if an MC deems it worthy.

They're just a way to keep an MC's name out there in a highly competitive genre without annoying major label red tape.

When MC's do mixtapes it tends to be them just floating some ideas around. Kanye has done three mixtapes he calls Freshmen Adjustment 1, 2 & 3. On those you'll find some verses or choruses put to different beats or vice versa. I would definitely recommend them, if you're into Kanye.

Lupe Fiasco had some really cool mixtapes also, he re-did six songs from Demon Days by the Gorillaz in a mixtape called "A Ryhming Ape" or it's the third in his First and Fifteenth mixtapes.

hiphopdx.com is an incredible resource for mixtapes! I check it all the time, and they have some pretty cool reviews. It's like punknews for hip hop (and like punknews I don't bother reading the comments section!)

As far as recommending some hip hop, this is what I listen to:

Blue Scholars...Great hip hop from Seattle, they include a lot of politics, I listen to them all the time!

Dyme Def...from Seattle, read about them on Hiphopdx, they sample a lot of stuff

Emilio Rojas...from New York, I read about him on Hiphopdx

Grayskul...I can't remember anything about them, just that I have it and like it

Saul Williams...This guy is great if you like weird or interesting beats and music, his latest was produced mostly by Trent Reznor.

Ghostface Killah...what is there to say about Tony Starks that hasn't been said?

Jurassic 5...I'd be upset if there was a hip hop discussion without mentioning J5

Blackalicious...I actually just heard these guys, I'd heard a ton of great stuff and it's really good.

K'naan...I love this guy, he's from Somalia and uses that well: "I make 50 Cent look like Limp Bizkit, it's true!"

I just went looking for my Blue Scholars record to put it on and I don't know how I forgot to mention Def Jux records. I have a triple LP set from them I bought a few years ago that has some incredible music on it! They're similar to Rhymesayers but not as big. Some recommended artists from DJX:

S.A. Smash

Aesop Rock

Hangar 18

El-P

Despot