Motorola Droid

mclz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a great device i got trained to use it for my job last week

keeping in mind its a first gen product for verizon wireless, its incredible and the slide out qwerty really makes this one stand out from most touch screens which are impossible to text on

if you want app capability as good as the iphone and a good network get this

I'm 99% sure the Droid isn't going to be free. The "Every Two" only applies to phones up to a certain amount. (Though I think it can be used as a "discount" or sorts toward more expensive phones)

Edit - "Sign up for a two-year plan of at least $34.99 per month and qualify for a free phone, up to $30 or $50 depending on your plan, with a two-year renewal. Or choose to apply your New Every Two credit toward the purchase of a more expensive phone." (From Verizon's site)

Edit 2 - Droid is $199.99 on 2 year contract, according to their site.

no phone can match the iphone's support, compatibility, and software updates, since they have a majority of the marketshare. if 50% of cellphone users had this phone, it would be better than the iphone.

Support? Yeah, Apple is pretty good there.

Compatibility? Eh, 50/50 on this one. If it's an Apple product you're in great shape, otherwise, it's a crap-shoot.

Software updates? I wouldn't make this a plus. Yeah, some updates have been great, but it took way too long to get some features and at the cost of other features. my iPhone 3G has sucked since OS 3.0. The battery life is awful and the OS is very sluggish. I have to reboot the phone more than a Windows 98 computer too.

It's not my specific phone either, as this is my 2nd iPhone 3G.

The 3Gs is great with OS 3.0 w/ its better speeds.

software updates

Android's about to release it's 5th version (1.0, 1.1, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0) in a 12-month period. And the 6th -- v2.1 -- is expected sometime in December.

So if I get the Droid, should I wait till December to get it, or can I get it in November and updated my phone to 2.1 while I have it.

no phone can match the iphone's support, compatibility, and software updates, since they have a majority of the marketshare. if 50% of cellphone users had this phone, it would be better than the iphone.

i'm not sure where you're basing your facts from... but the iphone has never had the majority of the market for smartphones. ever. How could they? They're available on only ONE carrier in the US! and that alone has been a major disadvantage for the iphone. Maybe after next sumemer when AT&T loses the exclusivity deal with Apple, then the iPhone might take more of the market share away from RIM and Palm... but I wouldn't count on it because the Android phones are definitely going to increase in sales with the new phone and that will cut into both RIM and Apple's share of the market.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I was listening to TWIT on my commute this morning and Natalie from CNET was raving about the Droid.

If you want a better phone, wait, if you want one now, get it.

Android 2.0 phones are going to be coming out like crazy soon.

I can't get a new phone till November 30th anyways which is 3 weeks after the Droid comes out so by the time I buy it the 2.0 will probably already be out.

those numbers are based off Q2 surveys, which are from April - June 2009 sales. Q3 numbers wont come out for another month I think

The only caveat with those numbers is the volume of use the iPhone gets on the Web compared to RIM.

yeah, I know, but that does not impact market share

If you want a better phone, wait, if you want one now, get it.

There are better iterations coming out via Verizon in the near future? Or are we talking a 4G iPhone?

I was speaking in general. Something better will always be on the horizon. But I do believe a slew of new Android 2.0 phones are coming out.

Sony just announced one today.

There's an Android 1.6 phone coming to Verizon soon too. I forget who makes it.

If Verizon starts getting some really good phones they're going to DOMINATE. AT&T blows.

The next generation of the iPhone is probably 6-months away still, who knows what they'll come up with though.

I'm a huge Google guy and once my contract is up, I'm def. going to do some looking around. I don't like the bickering that Apple and Google are getting into over Google Voice, etc...

There are better iterations coming out via Verizon in the near future? Or are we talking a 4G iPhone?

I was speaking in general. Something better will always be on the horizon. But I do believe a slew of new Android 2.0 phones are coming out.

Sony just announced one today.

There's an Android 1.6 phone coming to Verizon soon too. I forget who makes it.

If Verizon starts getting some really good phones they're going to DOMINATE. AT&T blows.

The next generation of the iPhone is probably 6-months away still, who knows what they'll come up with though.

I'm a huge Google guy and once my contract is up, I'm def. going to do some looking around. I don't like the bickering that Apple and Google are getting into over Google Voice, etc...

Okay, that makes sense. Everything I've seen has Apple leaving AT&T and going with less subsidized phones to gain more market share. But that won't happen until Verizon moves away from CDMA to GSM with a 4G upgrade.

What's weirder is they bicker over that but Google Maps is a native iPhone app that's in current development to add the navigation items the Droid is getting.

There's actually no information that Apple is going away from AT&T. Everything you've read is speculation from analysts. People keep saying it's coming to Verizon, but no one knows.

Apple recently bought a maps company. Many believe that they're going to get away from Google. Which is a terrible idea IMO.