Sox and Indians

ps

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest scriptedrain
In New England, people call Camden Yards "fenway south" and the park in Toronto "fenway north" because so many red sox fans end up going there for games when they play.

This reminded me, did anyone see the San Diego Chargers / Chicago Bears game this past Sunday? There were times where I thought it was a Chicago home game. The thing that boggles my mind is that the game was in San Diego, which is over 2,000 miles away from Chicago.

- Jeff

In New England, people call Camden Yards "fenway south" and the park in Toronto "fenway north" because so many red sox fans end up going there for games when they play.

hah that actually makes a lot of sense. so does that mean Red Sox Nation has officially claimed parts of Canada and MD as territories?

fuck man, those were some intense games. even the saturday win I wasn't comfortable until the game was over. all 3 games were really well played by both teams and really shows why no one should ever count either team out. that being said, I almost jumped out my window last night. October will be awesome.

fuck man, those were some intense games. even the saturday win I wasn't comfortable until the game was over. all 3 games were really well played by both teams and really shows why no one should ever count either team out. that being said, I almost jumped out my window last night. October will be awesome.

Yeah I was sweating it last night, I kinda feel bad for Schill... he pitched a good game. Jeter sure hit some long homers this series.

• 3 weeks later...

Until last night, I thought the Angels would put up more of a fight. I hushed anyone who mentioned a sweep, but after last night's showing I've changed my tune...sweep it is. Now if Cleveland can clobber the Yankees I'm happy...I'm pulling for a Cubbies/Red Sox world series, but I'll settle for the Phillies as well (they're my National League team).

I'm chiming in so late, but I cannot believe so many people are fans of the Yankees and Sox. It's like saying "I like the team that wins every year."

You have to see this from my perspective though. I'm from Pittsburgh and my baseball team has just wrapped up its 15th losing season.

Baseball NEEDS a salary cap, bad. I know the Pirates have done a terrible job over the last few years at drafting, scouting, and playing the free agent market. And even though teams like the Indians, Brewers, Angels, and A's have succeeded somewhat, they can never constantly compete with teams like the Red Sox and Yankees who will always have payrolls several times the size of small and mid-level market teams.

I hardly consider the Red Sox vs Yankees as the greatest rivalry in sports history. Watching two wallets fight isn't entertaining. I would rather watch teams that grow their talent in house battle it out, rather than singing tons of free agents at top dollar to do the battling.

The rivalries in other pro sports like the NFL and the NHL are much more captivating.

I agree with you about several points. However, I was born and bred a Red Sox fan and was with them through losing season after losing season. And I can remember when the Yankees were terrible too, and even then it was considered a bitter rivalry, before either team could plunk down millions on marquee players. Derek Jeter's first season he was paid $100,000...how's that for growing talent (and rewarding it). I was taught from an early age to hate the Yankees, not so much the team itself, as I have respect for several of their players, Jeter included (that man shows up to play and plays hard every day), but more the loud mouth fans. If you were from either Boston or New York, two cities I've lived in, you'd have a better understanding of the joy and pain involved in a Sox/Yankees matchup. And I take offense to your "I like the team that wins every year" remark. Until this season, the Sox hadn't won their division since 1995. The year they won the series they were the wild card. Yes, money can bring in a lot of talent, but utilizing that talent and cultivating it takes time, patience and a top notch organization. Money can get players into the uniforms, but doesn't guarantee that performance is worth the money.

Damn, you got me really fired up kirbypuckett. Thanks! That was kind of fun. Let's keep this debate rolling. +1 to you.

Guest scriptedrain
It's like saying "I like the team that wins every year."

Because nothing says historically "winning" like the Boston Red Sox. ::)

- Jeff