Flipping Records

uncleleo

What do you guys think of people who stalk sites to get special editions of vinyl just to put them up on eBay for way more than they paid?

As someone who doesn't have a lot of time and money to wait around for special releases, but still likes collecting vinyl, it really gets under my skin.

Just browsing eBay, I see several auctions for the new NOFX 7"s going for way, way too much. I missed this one and there is no way I'm paying these highway robber prices.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eriathomas

I don't see a problem with it. As long as there is demand, it'll sell for a high price, if there is no demand then flipping would not be possible. You snooze you loose I guess.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with it in terms of the law I still think it's lame if you're buying records with the sole intention of flipping it straight away.

I know there are some cases where between preordering and recieving your record you get an unexpected need for cash and I think in those cases it's fair enough but when something goes up on Ebay straight after the preorder it really bugs me.

I had a thought where labels should give bands /50 variants to put on ebay so they get so see some of crazy the money their record is making so they can carry on making music comfortably. So if people want to pay loads for a record at least its the band getting the money not some dude flipping records all over the shop.

Maybe most of you don't flip records on e bay or wathever,but, when I ask a price in the trade/sell treat always get an answer like this:

"I would like 50$,because this records goes for that much on the bay"

So, come on guys ,all of you do the same.

Maybe I'm wrong but I still didn't found someone that sell the 59 sound on white for less of 40$( this one is limited to 500,it means a lot of records out there).

It's just a sample

I don't, when the XO Skeletons album got a second pressing I bought two copies because I knew someone who collects all things Wes. When I discovered he already picked up a copy I sold my spare to a friend at cost despite the silly amount of cash these were going for.

I don't, when the XO Skeletons album got a second pressing I bought two copies because I knew someone who collects all things Wes. When I discovered he already picked up a copy I sold my spare to a friend at cost despite the silly amount of cash these were going for.

well done

I do the same with my friends,but you will act that way with a unknow person

My question is, Someone would like to sell me the 59 sound lp on white,or the hellacopters "cream of the crap vol 2 2 lp" for cost?

I know the answer dude

NO WAY

I had a thought where labels should give bands /50 variants to put on ebay so they get so see some of crazy the money their record is making so they can carry on making music comfortably. So if people want to pay loads for a record at least its the band getting the money not some dude flipping records all over the shop.

I totally agree with this, they should really hook the bands up with variants, at least this way in some cases the bands can fund tours, pay for gas and eat, I've seen alot of bands come thru who are literally starving. I'll buy merch even though I have it just to hook them up.

As far as flipping records, it's the same in every circle. At the risk of being a nerd here, I remember when the death of superman "rocked" the comic book world. Now this is way before ebay, comic store owners over bought, and for a couple months after, sold the books at a pricey mark up and made a good amount, you had people who had no business buying comics trying to get this peice of "history". These people did the same thing and over purchased when superman was brought back from the dead, well no one gave a shit and these comic store guys were left with tons of books they couldn't give away.

Maybe most of you don't flip records on e bay or wathever,but, when I ask a price in the trade/sell treat always get an answer like this:

Maybe I'm wrong but I still didn't found someone that sell the 59 sound on white for less of 40$( this one is limited to 500,it means a lot of records out there).

It's just a sample

Keep in mind that flipping is different than selling an older/rarer record. Flipping a copy of 59 Sound right after it came out is different from someone selling it now. Selling an original press of one of the early Alkaline Trio records isn't flipping. My rule of thumb is that if a record has been available for a year it is no longer flipping because the seller isn't capitalizing on the fresh hype.

What do you guys think of people who stalk sites to get special editions of vinyl just to put them up on eBay for way more than they paid?

As someone who doesn't have a lot of time and money to wait around for special releases, but still likes collecting vinyl, it really gets under my skin.

Just browsing eBay, I see several auctions for the new NOFX 7"s going for way, way too much. I missed this one and there is no way I'm paying these highway robber prices.

Why don't you just stalk special editions so that you don't have to pay high prices.

It's just a sample

Keep in mind that flipping is different than selling an older/rarer record. Flipping a copy of 59 Sound right after it came out is different from someone selling it now. Selling an original press of one of the early Alkaline Trio records isn't flipping. My rule of thumb is that if a record has been available for a year it is no longer flipping because the seller isn't capitalizing on the fresh hype.

So, Why most of the 59 sound that you can see in this forum for sale are sealed or umplayed (only open to check the color)?

records are intendeed to play,.

I'm wrong?

Why all the people that have jane doe or deja entondu on vinyl don't keep their copies for himselfs ?

are these bad records?

I keep my most valuable records even if I need some cash (I still have jane doe on vinyl and I'll keep it even if the repress come out someday and makes decrease the price of the record).

My point is, that I agree if you want to flip all yours records, but don't be hypocrite, every one in this forum does (even mine)

So, Why most of the 59 sound that you can see in this forum for sale are sealed or umplayed (only open to check the color)?

records are intendeed to play,.

I'm wrong?

Why all the people that have jane doe or deja entondu on vinyl don't keep their copies for himselfs ?

are these bad records?

I keep my most valuable records even if I need some cash (I still have jane doe on vinyl and I'll keep it even if the repress come out someday and makes decrease the price of the record).

My point is, that I agree if you want to flip all yours records, but don't be hypocrite, every one in this forum does (even mine)

a) I wasn't starting a fight with you. Relax.

B) People's tastes change, so maybe they sell some records.

c) Maybe some people would rather make money than keep a record, especially when a new press is out. There's nothing wrong with that.

d) Yes, some people buy records just to sell, but if they've waited a while maybe they're breaking up a collection they stopped going after or maybe they got sick of collecting that band. Or, maybe they need the money. Who cares?

e) You would rather hold onto a record you know you'll never listen to again (even though you enjoyed it once) than sell it and make some money while also making someone happy because they've been looking for a copy of said record? That's just dumb.

So you're saying if someone sells an original copy of Jane Doe right now they're flipping it? That doesn't make any sense at all. I buy thousands of records, I play each and every one of them. Sometimes, I get sick of certain ones or I don't listen to it enough to warrant keeping it, so I sell it and buy new stuff. I don't flip in the classic sense of the word, but I do sell records occasionally (usually at very fair prices, I might add).

I buy records to sell sometimes, not often, but sometimes. What's wrong with me buying a record I don't care about, selling it, and then using the money to buy a bunch of records I do care about? The original label & band with the record I don't want gets the sale, plus all of the other labels and bands that I do like and can now buy their records get the sale. More money going into all of the labels and bands.

It seems like the only person that loses is the guy that wasn't paying attention when the record went on sale. As long as the bands and labels are being taken care of, what's the big deal?

I'm not going to name names, but there's a person on here who made a thread calling out people for selling D4-Civil War on clear for more than cost. He stomped his feet around and said he really wanted a copy, but would only pay $10 for it. Now, this person has a sale thread with most records saying "OFFER". Others are listed for waaay more than cost. That shit is hellified lame.

I guess I'm saying don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Also, I agree with most everything Hickey's said in this thread.

I buy records to sell sometimes, not often, but sometimes. What's wrong with me buying a record I don't care about, selling it, and then using the money to buy a bunch of records I do care about? The original label & band with the record I don't want gets the sale, plus all of the other labels and bands that I do like and can now buy their records get the sale. More money going into all of the labels and bands.

It seems like the only person that loses is the guy that wasn't paying attention when the record went on sale. As long as the bands and labels are being taken care of, what's the big deal?

i hope you're trolling... otherwise, thats some pretty dickish behavior. you act like your doing some great service to a band/label by buying their record thats already in demand and turning it for a quick buck so you can go and buy a record. all the while, some kid who was stuck at work or school or whatever is shit out of luck and having to give you some rediculous funds just so he can enjoy a piece of plastic. i really dont like being an asshole but... your doing an awesome job, keep it up! ;)

I'm not going to name names, but there's a person on here who made a thread calling out people for selling D4-Civil War on clear for more than cost. He stomped his feet around and said he really wanted a copy, but would only pay $10 for it. Now, this person has a sale thread with most records saying "OFFER". Others are listed for waaay more than cost. That shit is hellified lame.

This is fantastic.

I've never cared about flipping. The only thing I don't like about it is people making up excuses (oh, I bought 15 copies because I thought 14 of my friends would want it, but they all got it on their own, so I'm selling them for a 500% profit). If you're flipping, you're flipping, just admit it and I'm cool with it.

Oh, and if you're going to flip something, make sure you have it in your possession first.

i hope you're trolling... otherwise, thats some pretty dickish behavior. you act like your doing some great service to a band/label by buying their record thats already in demand and turning it for a quick buck so you can go and buy a record. all the while, some kid who was stuck at work or school or whatever is shit out of luck and having to give you some rediculous funds just so he can enjoy a piece of plastic. i really dont like being an asshole but... your doing an awesome job, keep it up! ;)

This argument is silly too. You snooze, you lose. Sorry, that's the name of the game. No one deserves a copy of a record mor ethan anyone else. And that kid who missed out can most likely get a -- GASP!!! -- less rare copy!!!

Oh, and if you're going to flip something, make sure you have it in your possession first.

Yeah, reminds me of the dude selling all the NOFX reissues before they even shipped. What a fuckstick.

Yeah. Blink 182 as well.

With the new NOFX 7"s Fat Wreck actually hunted down one guy who had them on ebay before Fat shipped them to him...I don't know the outcome, but it's fun.