What is your favorite craft beer?

I like all the New Belgium beers, especially Fat Tire and 1554.

Tonight I'll be drinking some Southern Tier Chocolate Stout. It's not subtle - it's super strong on flavor. But it's also super strong on alcohol, which cuts the sweetness.

I used to work around the block from the brewery. Good stuff.

Being new to California, I've been experimenting with all the craft beer out here (Illinois isn't very dedicated to offering craft beer). I've grown especially fond of the Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood (right next to the Music Box). They have an incredible selection of craft beers on tap, including a mint chocolate beer. It's absolutely delicious. They also have Dogfish Head in bottles, with Midas Touch being one of their finest selections. A description:

"This recipe is the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! It is an ancient Turkish recipe using the original ingredients from the 2700 year old drinking vessels discovered in the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine & mead; this smooth, sweet, yet dry ale will please the Chardonnay of beer drinker alike."

I also found a crazy IPA called Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company. The hop taste doesn't fade. It will put hair on your chest.

I'm having some serious cravings for some Hop Devil right now.

In a very short while, you should come up and we'll go to the brewery Amy works at - talk about "craft" brews! Made right there, earlier in the week. You'll love the Belgian Dark Ale - made with the same yeast as used in Orval (a superb Belgian Trappist Ale). Yum!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found some Bell's HopSlam at my local liquor store. It's absolutely amazing... I'm not sure if anything else will ever taste the same. I love to just poor it into a pint glass and smell it for a few minutes before even taking one sip... it's that good.

Downside, however, is that it's freaking $17.99 per 6 pack. I found two of them the other night so I grabbed them both. Neither had a price tagger on them so when the guy at the counter scans them and says the total I about flipped. Oh well, it was worth it since the only place I've been able to find it on tap sells it for $6.50 a pint. Too bad this stuff is only made through January and February. Come March I'm screwed.

I am lucky enough to live a block away from Earth Bread & Brewery (and Amy is a bartender there too). Amazing selection of house beers (the variety is pretty impressive) and excellent guest beers. The head guy, Tom, used to be the main dude at Victory and has a great relationship with PBC, so they get all of their special one-off recipes in on draft. Right now there is an amazing altbier on draft. If you are ever in Philadelphia, hit me up and I'll take you there!

Here are photos of the building of Earth (they use a lot of recycled materials, including complete bars!):

http://picasaweb.google.com/tomatearth/EarthSProgress#

I finally found some Bell's HopSlam at my local liquor store. It's absolutely amazing... I'm not sure if anything else will ever taste the same. I love to just poor it into a pint glass and smell it for a few minutes before even taking one sip... it's that good.

Downside, however, is that it's freaking $17.99 per 6 pack. I found two of them the other night so I grabbed them both. Neither had a price tagger on them so when the guy at the counter scans them and says the total I about flipped. Oh well, it was worth it since the only place I've been able to find it on tap sells it for $6.50 a pint. Too bad this stuff is only made through January and February. Come March I'm screwed.

Do what you can to get this on TAP!!

It is a MUST!!

So GOOD!!