American Football Bowls

Can someone explain to me what are all those bowls?? Is this all different championships finals that are played at the same time? If so, why is there some "Army" (Navy, Air, Marines, etc..) teams playing them?? Is this all the same 'level' of play? All universities?? Are the teams picked randomly? Is there semi-finals and quarter finals before that??

Please educate me on american football!

I can't really give a great reason why it is the way it is but it's all irrelavent. It's a way for schools and the NCAA to generate money from sponsors which is why you have the Little Ceasers Bowl, the Emerald Nuts Bowl, etc. They're all division 1 athletics and the top 25 teams make bowls and then teams from small conferences get a chance at bowls which is why unranked teams also play in them. Army, Air Force and Navy are also colleges which is why they have sports teams.

The only game that matters is Alabama v. Texas.

WAY too many bowl games.

I always root for the military academies firstly because I am a veteran, but also because those guys actually have to be within weight standards, they can't have 300 lb linemen out there. And look at that, Navy beat a team that went 8-4 in the Big 12 tonight. Not too shabby, really.

The bowls originated as rewards for the best teams in Division IA (the highest level of collegiate football). Back in the day there were only a couple bowls, so it really was a reward. Now there are 34 bowls, so over half the teams in Division 1A get into bowl games. With all the sponsorships, they're huge moneymakers for the teams invited, as well as their athletic conferences (who also get a cut of the money and distribute it to all the conference members).

The military teams are from their respective military academies.

The lower levels of college football (Division 1AA, Div. 2 and Div. 3) have playoffs to determine their champion.

Teams are usually not picked randomly, the different conferences have tie-ins with different bowls. So, the Rose Bowl, for example, matches up the #1 teams from the Big Ten and the Pac 10 conferences. Some bowls only have one tie-in, and will pick an at-large team to fill their other spot. Teams must finish at least 6-6 to be eligible for a bowl game.

lol great song. The only positive I see from the BCS is that small conference schools are getting a chance to beat bigger and more prestigious schools. Two good examples are Boise State beating Oklahoma and West Virginia beating Oklahoma. Look for Cincinnati to knock off Florida this weekend too.

They really fucked up by having TCU and Boise State play each other this year as it can't answer if those undefeated teams are worthy of being in the national championship.