alkaline trio- this addiction leaked

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, its not good. sounds like a mixpot of different songs from their older albums, with weaker song writing. the production is predictable and the lyrics and corny. you can only sing about drugs, drinking, cemeteries, and blood for so long before its time to move on. im not sure which was worse upon first listen, this or agony and irony. ill give it a few more listens before i have a final opinion.

personally, its not good. sounds like a mixpot of different songs from their older albums, with weaker song writing. the production is predictable and the lyrics and corny. you can only sing about drugs, drinking, cemeteries, and blood for so long before its time to move on. im not sure which was worse upon first listen, this or agony and irony. ill give it a few more listens before i have a final opinion.

i basically agree with this

this addiction - matt

dine, dine my darling - dan

lead poisoning - matt

dead on the floor - matt

the american scream - matt

off the map - dan

draculina - matt

eating me alive - matt

piss and vinegar - matt

dorothy - matt

fine - dan

i don't understand why they under-utilize dan so much. he'll have 3 songs cut from each album that are better than at least one or two songs that made the cut. i just wish there was a little more balance. i love dan's songs.

i can't tell if that's sarcasm, but i'll address it either way with my take on it...

i think matt writes much more radio-friendly songs. and i think the record labels that have had alkaline trio under contract have wanted to push matt as the "frontman" because he does have a more... pleasing? ... voice. and since he writes catchier tunes that you can sing along to after your first listen, it makes sense to want his songs on the radio.

i don't think i need to preface what i'm about to say with my "you guys know how much i love alkaline trio" shit, so i won't bore you with that. i'm the biggest alkaline trio fan i know, and i know some pretty big ones. BUT

i think as alkaline trio has gone on, matt's song-writing has gotten worse while dan's has gotten better. and i don't dislike matt's songs, i just think he hasn't progressed in the same way that dan has. of course, when they started writing they were 20 years old, and now they're 35. so if your subject matter doesn't evolve in some way, there's something wrong with that, too. but to me, dan's songs have made a logical progression and you can tell he has grown up not only as a musician but as a man. i think matt is still trying to find that balance between being a man in real life and being able to write songs where he's not doing it as a character.

and yes, i know, A&I was supposedly the most real album and all those songs were so personal and all that. i get it. but if you get right down to it, i think goddamnit is the most real album they've written. it wasn't about "oh i had this friend who was going through some shit" or "i secretly want to be a vampire" or anything like that. it was "I'M in love with this girl and she doesn't like me" or "I'M going through a struggle with alcohol" or "I'M sad because i miss my friend who lives across the country."

of course, the problems that they faced as dirt-poor 20 year old single dudes are much different than the problems they face as relatively-successful 35 year old married men, but i think that's not so much the point. you can still write a song and make it personal, even if it's about a totally new set of challenges. i think dan has done that, and i think matt hasn't really.

maybe, though, matt HAS done that on a couple of occasions, but those shining moments get watered down by the 3-4 other "filler" songs that aren't that way. and since dan only has 3 songs appearing on each album, they're going to pick 3 songs that showcase his ability and songwriting. it's a lot easier to write 3 really good songs than it is to write 8.

i don't know, all of this was really just me thinking out loud after ONE listen. i'm in no way forming my overall opinion yet. far from it. but after my initial listen, this is what's going through my head.

downloaded and liking what I hear from it. it seems like the proper follow up to Good Mourning

* after completion, my favorite tracks are Dead on the Floor, Draculina, and Eating me Alive.

Haha, you listed my favorite track as well as the two tracks I wish were cut from the album.