People who know about Boston

If you've been there and discovered a cool shop, or if you're from there and know the best local hole in the wall restaurant, this means you!

I'm basically looking for vintage, record, and design related stores as well as cheap bars with cool people, decent drinks, and good music. Oh, and if there's anything going on there in the next week, whether it's music related or an art show-- pretty much any social activity.

I haven't been to Boston since I was 18, and I didn't really take advantage of the city on that trip. I'd like to explore the hipper areas, so any advice on that front would be greatly appreciated!

the other side is probably my favorite restaurant in boston.

http://www.theothersidecafe.com/

there's pretty much nothing for good record stores. newbury comics has good records pretty consistently, but it's a chain and they have the same records everywhere. i wish they had cooler record stores for sure.

other side is pretty good. its all vegan, as far as i know.

theres a decent record store on boylston st, about a block away from the other side. its called looney tunes. pretty good selection, but not specifically punk or indie or anything.

newbury street is good if you like expensive shopping.

theres a fun secret clothing store off of mass ave. super expensive, but a good novelty.

otherwise, i'd recommend the north end for some excellent italian food. the original pizzeria regina is phenomenal

The Other Side Cafe is awesome. Everytime I go to Boston to visit my friend, we have lunch there before I fly back out. Their veggie chili is awesome!!!

I also dig The Miracle of Science cafe in Cambridge. Great food!

Of course there's the Middle East and TT The Bears. Both great places for music and drinks.

Middle East is great bar/club. Landsdowne used to be decent back in the day but now its a HOB and Redsox shit. Newbury Comics on Newbury st. has been my best luck for scoring sweet records from that chain. Ive gotten alot of rare records that I couldnt find anywhere else. They are kinda pretentious there though.

Lower Depths in Kenmore is a good bar

charlies in cambridge is decent, getting over packed

Bukowski's Tavern off boylston st is fun

Tc's on Haviland st is good for a stiff drink

Friendly Toast in Kendal Square is good for a bite.

i want to go to bukowski's some day. when i'm of age, obviously.

i used to ride by it all the time and it looks so small and cute.

i went to boston this past year.. I found just walking around downtown, back bay, north end, was cool all in itself. I didn't take the subway, because truthfully i'm from texas. i can walk 2 miles and think nothing of it... I loved walking around the backbay. quant little shops, etc etc.. newbury comics is alright. i went to two and they aren't as nearly as good as what people make it out to be. I'd move there if i didn't already have to stay here. The people were a bit crass, but they warm up to you quickly.

I was just there for my 30th b'day

Here are some places I absolutley love and would suggest you check out.

For Drinks. hit up the Publick House in Brookline http://www.eatgoodfooddrinkbetterbeer.com/publickhouse/. Also hit up the Sunset Grill & Tap for a HUGE selection of beers.

If you are down with sushi, check out Fugakyu, http://www.fugakyu.net/index.html

9 Tastes has some really nice thai food http://www.9taste.com/

For the evening times, if you are with a group and want to do something fun and kinda private, there's Do Re Mi Karaoke http://www.doremikaraoke.net. They say that there's no alcohol allowed but it's really BYOB and don't let them see you falling down stupid drunk with a drink in your hand. Sang me some Iron Maiden last time I was there. :)

Enjoy your trip

check out the garment district's dollar a pound today if you're into thrift stuff, its cheap on fridays. theres a pop punk show at the icc in allston on tuesday too if your into that. if you head that way i'd pop into rescue, pretty cheap vintage and more men's clothes than most shops like it.