ION usb turntable?

Guest itsajakie

Guest itsajakie

Hey guys. I don't have a turntable anymore as of about a month ago. I'm looking to get a FAIRLY cheap one that will sound good, and not totally jack my records.

there were a couple at guitar center that looked really nice for aroun $130, BUT... I came across the ION, and I have heard some good things about it.

my questions are... does it sound good enough to enjoy my music with good quality sound?

AND, to be honest I'm not too sure how valid this is, but I've heard cheaper record players can fuck your records. I just want to make sure whatever I get will sound good enough to enjoy... and keep my records fresh and sounding as they should. Thanks guys!

Mines shit....I got the cheapest ION they have, doesn't even have a dust cover. Which I missed in the description (Bought it online) Works OK, but I'm looking for something else. Only cost $49, so I thought...what a deal...you get what you pay for. Rips like shit, so if you getting it to burn on CD, forget it. (unless they make better more expensive ones?) Oh did I mention the arm doesn't even retract, and that fuckn sucks. So if I'm not payn attention or worse, fall asleep...it just sits on the record and keeps spinnin. Wait if you can't aford something else, you'll end up doing what I'm doing....looking for another.

Don't do it! Go used instead. Keep your eyes open and you can get a decent midrange turntable from the 80s or so for cheaper, and it won't destroy your records. I got mine for $20 at a garage sale, and it rules.

There are so many better choices out there, especially for your budget. Buying the ION is flushing that money away because the table has limited life - you can't change or upgrade the cartridge, you can't modify it and make it sound better. Look around for old Kenwoods, Technics, or Marantzs even mid-80's Sonys were excellent for what they were. Check out www.audiogon.com as there are sometimes great deals on gently used tables.

Are you limited to a USB turntable? If you've got a proper A/V receiver and speakers, and have no interest in ripping vinyl to MP3's, there are plenty of budget turntables out there that are arguably better than the ION ones. I've been using the Audio Technica PL-50, and for $80, it's a pretty great "beginner's" turntable.

Guest itsajakie

Yeah, i'm not looking for anything to rip vinyl to mp3s. thats probably the worst idea i have ever heard in my life anyway, hahaha. I just need something affordable that i can enjoy, and not worry about puting my precious records on it.

My aunt made me get her this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10130179&catid=15421

She said it's really good and worth it

Noticed that it's a Canadian site, so the price is Canadian

They have the same turntable at KOHL'S for $119.50 -- just get a coupon from them or wait until the next big sale because they had this bitch for $60 a couple weeks ago!

I bought the Profile LP for my buddy and it has an automated arm return and two buttons: switching between 33 1/3 and 45 rpm; the other for stopping the play of the record. The design/look of it is actually fucking sweet!

As for the cons, it's annoying when you walk by because any small vibration will affect the sound for that quick instant; however, just by keeping it on a shelf/tv stand/sturdy furniture you will be fine haha

He hasn't tried using the recording software, but past Ion recording experiences have sucked so don't worry about it.

i have one and it actually sounds good.

Do you have the profile LP or the regular ITTUSB turntable?

If you have the profile LP -- you're right, it does sound good!

The turntable is hooked up to a temporary speakers in a CD player, but even through that it sounds good.

My other friend has the ITTUSB and someone has already mentioned the fact that the records keeps spinning when the grooves run out -- that shit is annoying haha

i have one and it actually sounds good.

Do you have the profile LP or the regular ITTUSB turntable?

If you have the profile LP -- you're right, it does sound good!

The turntable is hooked up to a temporary speakers in a CD player, but even through that it sounds good.

My other friend has the ITTUSB and someone has already mentioned the fact that the records keeps spinning when the grooves run out -- that shit is annoying haha

i have this one

[image]

mine always stops once the grooves run out, never had any problems, sounds good.

This is the one I have, it's not bad but it's not good either.

[image]

No auto-return arm, but that doesn't bother me. I'm always in the room doing something when it's playing, plus, I used to have one that DID auto-return and I went to bed listening to it to wake up and see that the end grooves were too far out from center to trigger it's return. Wore a huge groove into the center circles spinning for 8 hours.

so the profile lp is a good turntable on a budget, but for the most part the ttusb is not that awesome?

Yes -- as for Ion turntables, the Profile LP is great; however, the ITTUSB puts out the same quality sound, but it's a bitch that the record continually plays until you hit the pause button or just move the arm away.

the headtowall guy has a nice ion turntable, but I do not know much about it.

Check out the new USB turntable from Brookstone.com -- I think it's still $100.

I had the older one that had the SD drive so that I could record music directly onto the memory card as 256 kbps mp3 format, then throw that ish on the computer. Very cool, but it didn't have a good sound (too much treble). The new one doesn't have the drive, but it is definitely better than mine haha