Center holes on LPs

I noticed my Crystal Castles album had smaller holes so I forced the first record on there and almost couldn't get it off -- I just used a pen on the second one

Also if you decide to just force the record onto the table to widen the hole, be sure to twist the record as you're pulling it off so you do not break the album!

It's a problem I run into a lot on my deck. The spindle of the AR-XA was apparently always the biggest complaint back in the day as it's EXACTLY industry standard and most plants weren't. So anyways.. any time I buy a NEW LP I always have to bust out the center hole a little bit using my house key [seriously]. I actually occasionally have problems with the 45 spanner that comes with the XA as some old Jamaican pressed singles are a little too small for it - of course a lot more are too big for my other 'normal' yellow dome spanner I also have and wobble.

Guest eriathomas
I use a closed pair of scissors and give it a spin or two. I figure at least that way it's somewhat likely to widen it evenly the entire way around the hole.

I use scissors too, but just one end and go around once, try again, and repeat until it fits.

I have a buck knife that is pretty fine-tipped and gets wider, so I just shove it in there and gently spin the record on it until I think it's taken just enough off. I only overdid it once, and that was the first time I did it, because I didn't realize vinyl wasn't as hard as I anticipated.

The only lp that wouldn't go on my table was a Tim Barry lp. I thought i was goong to shatter it trying to take it off.

rivanna junction? that's the only record i have had this problem with. i had to really pry it off, thought it was going to break too. i might have even warped it in the process :-/ nonetheless, i used a wooden pencil to wear it down, because i didnt want to take the knife/sharp utensil approach. it fits better, but still too snug for my liking. oh well.

I just use a pocket knife, remove the offending bit of material and bobs your uncle. I wouldn't recommend forcing it on to the platter, i did it once but because the spindle on my TT doesn't spin with the platter, the friction from the record reduced the platter speed to a slow crawl!