the How to Press a Record Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started sending all of my stuff out to Erika to get my first record pressed on my label... im very excited but I was hoping someone could give me some information about places to get inserts done...

The problem I am having is that I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on an 11x17 insert.. it's pretty simple too, 2 colors on one side and 1 color on the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also want to do download cards but drop cards seems a bit pricey for me... anyone else have any ideas?

The other links are not individual codes. I am planning on stuffing the records myself when they arrive.

I just started sending all of my stuff out to Erika to get my first record pressed on my label... im very excited but I was hoping someone could give me some information about places to get inserts done...

The problem I am having is that I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on an 11x17 insert.. it's pretty simple too, 2 colors on one side and 1 color on the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I also want to do download cards but drop cards seems a bit pricey for me... anyone else have any ideas?

The other links are not individual codes. I am planning on stuffing the records myself when they arrive.

11x17 inserts can be done through Imprint at a reasonable price, or find a local non-kinkos print shop and see about color photocopies which would be cheaper than offset printing.

download cards, you have a few options, you can just post a free download and have the files hosted somewhere, or you can get in touch with Nick from Dead Format(his rates are probably the cheapest), KyleWilliam from imadethismistake has his site www.vinyldownloads.com or you can invest in the Deathwish affiliated www.vinyldownload.com (not plural) and for $200 you could buy a download code/download card generating program from them?? email me if you need further information.

these are probably the easiest and cheapest ways to do it.

we've started offering printing http://jailhouserecords.storenvy.com/products/48226-custom-printing-7-covers-lp-jackets-posters

A friend of mine runs a print shop locally so we've started brokering through him.

Pretty much anything under 12x18 he can do.

All of our inserts or 7" covers, most of our posters etc were all done here. If you want a sample, just holla

Pardon the crappy link. Hoping to have a seperate site up in the near future.

Dropcards we can print if you have the codes.

Personally, when I do download codes, I just print em out at home and cut em out...

doing color photocopies is not the best idea, especially with a fold in your insert.

your average local color copier will not be consistent with color application (especially with something so large, 2-sided). the color/paper will crack eventually, leaving you with ugly white marks on the fold. sure, you can score it, leaving you with some time before this cracking happens, but rest assured, it will.

bite the bullet and get some offset printing. it's really not a big difference in price, considering you might be paying for 12x18 (which you will then cut) two-sided color copies (big $$)

any tips on software for dealing with/manipulating artwork to printers templates?

also, does a licence include royalties to the band?

adobe photoshop...i'm sure there's gotta be some editor program that is free somewhere, but photoshop is the basis of the design industry.

paying a licensing fee to a label, theoretically yes, but sometimes the label doesn't pay the bands. Paying a licensing fee to say BMI or ASCAP, yes, a portion of the money you're paying is going to the artist.

any tips on software for dealing with/manipulating artwork to printers templates?

also, does a licence include royalties to the band?

If you don't know how to use Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator, please don't even fucking attempt to adapt existing art to the LP format.

You obviously know nothing about it if you have to ask what programs to use. Do yourself a favor and hire a graphic designer that knows what the hell they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used Furnace MFG for vinyl? They are based in Farifax, VA. They export the manufacturing overseas so I'm wondering if they will be super expensive....but their stuff looks nice.

i think someone on page two posted a quote they got from furnace MFG for 7"s, jackets and inserts and it was over 2,400 dollars.

i got a quote from them in september for 250 LPs on black with blank center labels....

1 VINYL SERVICES - R. INDUSTRY - MASTERING - DMM AND STAMPERS FROM DIGITAL FILES 12” (2 SIDES) $650.000 $650.00

1 VINYL SERVICES - R. INDUSTRY - TEST PRESSINGS - 5 UNITS - 12” - 125G $100.000 $100.00

200 VINYL SERVICES - R. INDUSTRY - VINYL - 12", 125G BLACK $2.090 $418.00

200 VINYL SERVICES - R. INDUSTRY - LABEL SET - 4 COLOR (OF CMYK) $0.785 $157.00

200 VINYL SERVICES - R. INDUSTRY - INNER SLEEVES (UNPRINTED) - 12” - WHITE PAPER WITH HOLES $0.120 $24.00

TOTAL: $1,349.00

granted, 250 LPs isn't the most efficient or economic way to go, but I was able to get it pressed through Archer for about $830 total including mastering, plating, shipping. that's a $500 difference.

I got a quote from Musicol for the same job and it was probably about 1,050 all together, which is also significantly cheaper than Furnace.

Hey Justin,

Great post! Super informative, haven't read it all but I would like to make a correction.

"RecordPressing.com www.recordpressing.com, Mark-415.462.1992 ext 201

*they broker through Rainbo Records."

I'm Mark (hey) and we're not a broker - yes we manufacture at Rainbo but we make a custom product. Rainbo's record and our records are not the same. Just wanted to clear that up. Oh and we dropped the .com - so it's just Record Pressing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A + R Records does a fantastic job, but can be just a tad pricey. Quality stuff though.

The work that Record Pressing are doing through Rainbo is good these days, and Mark is a cool rep.

Gotta Groove definitely does 7"s and Matt has taken good care of us on several releases.

I sure wish Archer did colored vinyl!

• 2 months later...

Guys, I'm hoping you can share some insight and opinions on recent vinyl quality coming out of the various plants.

I never know where most of the records I buy have been pressed but I always appreciate it when I get a more substantial record as opposed to a flimsy feeling one.

Any advice on which plants are pressing nice solid vinyl without having to go to 180g? Aside from the ones done by Pirates Press (which I love but Im not looking to go dmm) I thought the Dave Hause LP (from Gotta Groove?) felt pretty sturdy.