ps3 down across the globe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a disaster for PS3 owners!!!

It's a stupid error w/ the date. The dates apparently double check, some consoles are programmed to think today is 2/29/2010, and it's double checking w/ the server and seeing that it's 3/1/2010 so it's not working.

Really awful mistake.

I can't believe that some people can't even play games OFFLINE.

I hope they fix this soon for you PS3 owners.

I hate Sony for crap like this.

...darn? haha.

suggestion: go find something to do other than video games til they resolve it. the world will not end. i promise.

Yeah, that's possible, but it doesn't make this right.

I don't own a PS3, but if I paid $400+ dollars for something I expect it to work all the time, not because of some stupid programming error. That's amateur work and shouldn't come from a big company like Sony.

This means that people can't even watch BluRay discs or Netflix via their PS3. Total crap.

It went down on a Sunday night too, when a lot of people that I know like to settle down and play games.

...darn? haha.

suggestion: go find something to do other than video games til they resolve it. the world will not end. i promise.

Yeah, that's possible, but it doesn't make this right.

I don't own a PS3, but if I paid $400+ dollars for something I expect it to work all the time, not because of some stupid programming error. That's amateur work and shouldn't come from a big company like Sony.

This means that people can't even watch BluRay discs or Netflix via their PS3. Total crap.

It went down on a Sunday night too, when a lot of people that I know like to settle down and play games.

oh i agree that it should work correctly the first time around.

i'd probably be the same way if something like this happened to...my phone? or...my camera?

i just feel like a lot of people don't know what to do with themselves without their gaming system, haha.

from http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/playstation-network-problems-cause-ps3-meltdown/

Sony’s Playstation Network (PSN) went into meltdown this weekend, logging users out of the service and preventing them from playing online games. That alone would be inconvenient, but users, including our own Brian X Chen, are reporting that previously downloaded games - including Heavy Rain - cannot be played offline, that trophies won in games have disappeared from the console.

Sony is aware of the problem, posting updates on both its PS3 blog and Twitter stream. Oddly, the issue is confined to the original big PS3s: The PS3 Slim remains unaffected by the problem.

Although Sony says it will have a fix by this morning, it has not yet said what went wrong. Anecdotal evidence points to a combination of DRM and firmware issues rather than a network outage. Affected units have their system date set to Dec 31, 1999 (something impossible to do manually, according to PS3 News) or January 1st 2000 and the consoles are only able to play non-protected games.

This, combined with errors like the following:

8001050F - Hardware failure. Cannot update Firmware or connect to Internet

make us think that a firmware bug screwed up the date and/or connectivity, and the games’ DRM is thrown into a panic as a result. If this is true, it’s embarrassing for Sony. The other possibility is that the trophy syncing itself is breaking the games: games try to sync trophy info and refuse to work when they can’t. Non trophy-based titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 are unaffected.

seriously.. fuck DRMs

Guest eriathomas

It's really odd you can't play games with Trophies offline because of this. A date error seems like a pretty simple oversight, but this seems like a disaster. Sony may have fucked up good though, since even debug units are down.

from http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/playstation-network-problems-cause-ps3-meltdown/

Sony’s Playstation Network (PSN) went into meltdown this weekend, logging users out of the service and preventing them from playing online games. That alone would be inconvenient, but users, including our own Brian X Chen, are reporting that previously downloaded games - including Heavy Rain - cannot be played offline, that trophies won in games have disappeared from the console.

Sony is aware of the problem, posting updates on both its PS3 blog and Twitter stream. Oddly, the issue is confined to the original big PS3s: The PS3 Slim remains unaffected by the problem.

Although Sony says it will have a fix by this morning, it has not yet said what went wrong. Anecdotal evidence points to a combination of DRM and firmware issues rather than a network outage. Affected units have their system date set to Dec 31, 1999 (something impossible to do manually, according to PS3 News) or January 1st 2000 and the consoles are only able to play non-protected games.

This, combined with errors like the following:

8001050F - Hardware failure. Cannot update Firmware or connect to Internet

make us think that a firmware bug screwed up the date and/or connectivity, and the games’ DRM is thrown into a panic as a result. If this is true, it’s embarrassing for Sony. The other possibility is that the trophy syncing itself is breaking the games: games try to sync trophy info and refuse to work when they can’t. Non trophy-based titles like Metal Gear Solid 4 are unaffected.

seriously.. fuck DRMs

fuck DRMS aka Why Piracy Works! haha

Don't let Heisel see that.

should have bought an xbox.

I have both XBOX and a PS3. This is the first issue i've had with my PS3, but I am on my third XBOX360. I wouldn't really give a shit if i didn't JUST go to the store yesterday and pick up a PS3 EXCLUSIVE game called Heavy Rain. I got to play it for like 5 hours, fell in love with it, now i can't fucking play it.