ATTN SCOTT!!! RE: AP DRAMA!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Out of all our prior covers, you think Marilyn Manson is the most embarrassing? You should see the door to my office -- it has a 2x3' poster of the Creed cover from a decade ago on it. It reminds me every day that no matter how bad my day might get, it will NEVER be as bad as the month they made that decision.

Really? Out of all our prior covers, you think Marilyn Manson is the most embarrassing? You should see the door to my office -- it has a 2x3' poster of the Creed cover from a decade ago on it. It reminds me every day that no matter how bad my day might get, it will NEVER be as bad as the month they made that decision.

Rock bottom.

http://www.fugly.com/videos/5014/scott_stapp_drunk_poker_dumbass.html

ouch, touche. I don't read the magazine, so am not really aware of who has been on the cover. But yeah, i'm sure it can't get any worse than that.

ouch, touche. I don't read the magazine, so am not really aware of who has been on the cover. But yeah, i'm sure it can't get any worse than that.

The magazine went through some largely regrettable nu-metal years (approximately 1998-2001), but even then, a random gem would sneak in (Radiohead, Deftones, Weezer).

Really, what all of this comes down to is the following: No one -- no one -- is too good to be written about. People who take that for granted will learn the hard way that the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Always,

The magazine went through some largely regrettable nu-metal years (approximately 1998-2001), but even then, a random gem would sneak in (Radiohead, Deftones, Weezer).

Really, what all of this comes down to is the following: No one -- no one -- is too good to be written about. People who take that for granted will learn the hard way that the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Always,

Scott, get over yourself and your magazine. You really come off as a fuck in this thread.

Scott, get over yourself and your magazine. You really come off as a fuck in this thread.

and you dont?

Question: Where does the term "rag" come from in this context?

Also, I don't know why anyone got pissed that Scott said no thanks to reviewing whatever Heitman was involved in. Kid doesn't appreciate the magazine, so why do him a favor? Bad press is better than no press, so just ignore that it exists. It's not like any of you are even reading the magazine, right?

ICP on the cover is pretty embarrassing, but re: the nu-metal stuff... for years in the '90s popular music was rap/r&b or boy band shit. I remember MTV advertising "the return of rock!" with the nu-metal stuff that was coming out. If kids growing up in that time were listing to anything but rock, to attract them to your magazine, you might want to lure them in with the only rock-related stuff they know. I can't say what was inside those magazines to truly agree with the move to lure them in, but the lure isn't always the "best" stuff but what is most attractive to the masses.

Also, I don't know why anyone got pissed that Scott said no thanks to reviewing whatever Heitman was involved in. Kid doesn't appreciate the magazine, so why do him a favor? Bad press is better than no press, so just ignore that it exists. It's not like any of you are even reading the magazine, right?

i had nothing to do with the split. at all. overall, i had 0% input on that release. the only favor he'd be doing would be for the bands and label involved. even if i were involved, me saying a magazine is "not very good" is definitely not as bad as what people have said about the magazine in the past (on this board or elsewhere).

Holy shit! I had no idea AP was down with the clown. JUGGALO 4 LIFE.

Running with a meat cleaver.

[image]

ps I have always been bothered by the fact that the plural of juggalo was "juggalos" and not juggaloes."

Not gonna lie, I listen to this shit with friends for humor value. I think that's understandable.

With that being said, I truly believe this is worse than the Creed cover.

Eh, I still hold the Creed cover as worse only because I doubt they even remember doing it. Say what you will about ICP, but from what I've been told by co-workers who worked on those issues, they were extremely appreciative and thankful for the coverage and support.

Plus Bear Vs Shark's drummer used to be in ICP's live band and he was a super-good dude, too, so bonus points.

Sorry, I won't be proud of who I am or what I do anymore. My bad.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but this is the most hypocritical statement in this thread. Wouldn't you imagine that Tom Gabel (or anyone for that matter. I just used him as an example since this is why the thread started) feels the same way you do about people bashing his work?

It's okay for you to pass judgment, but if anyone does it to you it is an offense worth being ostracized for? All types of art, writing and journalism included, are open to criticism. No one is above it. I agree that statements such as "this magazine is shit" can be hard to hear but how do you think bands feel when you give them a negative review.

As I said, I am not trying to be disrespectful. I am just really curious as to why it is okay for you to pass judgment on others but they cannot do the same to you.

Eh, I still hold the Creed cover as worse only because I doubt they even remember doing it. Say what you will about ICP, but from what I've been told by co-workers who worked on those issues, they were extremely appreciative and thankful for the coverage and support.

Plus Bear Vs Shark's drummer used to be in ICP's live band and he was a super-good dude, too, so bonus points.

Lest we forget:

[image]

Sorry, I won't be proud of who I am or what I do anymore. My bad.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but this is the most hypocritical statement in this thread. Wouldn't you imagine that Tom Gabel (or anyone for that matter. I just used him as an example since this is why the thread started) feels the same way you do about people bashing his work?

It's okay for you to pass judgment, but if anyone does it to you it is an offense worth being ostracized for? All types of art, writing and journalism included, are open to criticism. No one is above it. I agree that statements such as "this magazine is shit" can be hard to hear but how do you think bands feel when you give them a negative review.

As I said, I am not trying to be disrespectful. I am just really curious as to why it is okay for you to pass judgment on others but they cannot do the same to you.

Valid point. However, I think the main difference is that (and I can't wait for this to come back and haunt me and/or cause people to label me an asshole) I'm a professional critic. My job is to assess music and determine its talent, originality, enjoyability and overall value. It's a skilled profession that requires years and years of total immersion, education and independent research, something most casual music fans (read as: 99% of the world) can't commit themselves to. So while I might give a band a bad review, I would hope that my words carry some weight because I am someone who knows what good music is.

Also, I would never just write, "This band is shit," in a review, at least not without citing specific reasons/examples as to why they are (in this writer's opinion) shit. When a band member (or some random message board flunkie) talks smack on the magazine I work for, it's generally from a place of ignorance, because they know absolutely nothing as to what goes into producing a monthly publication -- that includes everything from writing and editing to photography and design to printing and circulation to any number of other things that most people have no clue about. Now if someone on here is employed by a similar magazine (i.e., Alex, who works at Rocksound), then his words carry a significantly heavier weight to them, as he actually knows how the industry functions.

Lastly, in regards to your Tom Gabel example: I haven't publicly attacked him (that was my editor in chief) nor have I ever written a negative review or feature toward his band (I gave SFAFC 5 stars and New Wave 4 stars, as well as wrote the band's most recent AP feature and cover story, among a number of other, smaller pieces). Just wanted to set the record straight on that.